View RSS Feed

Laws and Functions of Spirit & Soul

Understanding the functions of the spirit and soul, how they differ, and uncover the laws of the spirit to know how to walk and discern the movements within the spirit.

1. Why Does it Feel So Good to Read The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee-White Cover Only?

The Spiritual Man, 700 pages, by Watchman Nee does something to you that no other book does, except for the Bible of course though the Bible takes longer to work in you because it is far more than 700 pages.

Why does this happen? Because it is the foremost book ever written on the dividing of spirit, soul and body. Nobody else has even come close. Nee considered it a perfect work. I concur. Watchman Nee had the highest IQ of anyone in the history of the Church that we know of. TSM extracts from the Bible the best and most applicable material to show you how the dividing of spirit, soul and body takes place and shortens it up to get right at the heart of the matter.

So what happens is you read say 20 to 50 pages in one sitting. You're deeply touched, but nothing major happens. Wait for later that day or the next morning. You will sense a change in you, and you can directly correlate it to appreciating what was said from what you read.

You've just experience a taste of the dividing of your spirit, soul and body to walk by your spirit more than you did the day before.

Now, realize, this is just a taste of what can be realized. If you were to spend 5 hours that day continuing to read and let it sink into your innerman, the change in your spirit increases exponentially in correlation to your consecration, that is, the amount of time you are willing to delve into it.

You should not need to go to Jessie Penn-Lewis' War on the Saints unless you are contending greatly with evil supernatural spirits that are attacking you incessantly.

After reading TSM do read The Latent Power of the Soul that belongs at the end of the TSM.

If you do all this, you will experience such a change in your being, you will be left in awe and read the Bible like you have never read it before, because the spiritual world will have opened up to you.
  2. Your Soul and Spirit Sleep and Wait for Resurrection

Timeless Unawares or 'Unconscious' Soul Sleep

Let us prove the altar in the 5th seal is not in Heaven to prove the point. The altar here must be the altar of sacrifices—for the following reasons.

(1) According to Old Testament typology, no one should go up to the altar with his nakedness uncovered (Ex. 20.26). This signifies that no naked body can meet God. Anyone who does not have a resurrection body is considered naked, and therefore he cannot appear before God. For this reason, 2 Corinthians 5.4 speaks about being “clothed upon” with a new body. (After a person is dead, his soul does not go to God right away.) Without resurrection, no one can stand beside the golden altar of incense.

"Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon" (Ex. 20.26) - You can't go before the High Priest naked.

(2) When the Bible speaks of altar, it always refers to the altar of sacrifice. Special descriptive words such as “golden”, “incense”, and so forth are used to refer to the golden altar of incense so as to distinguish it from the altar standing in the outer court.

(3) The blood of all the sacrifices flows down underneath the altar (Ex. 29.12; Lev. 4.7, 5.9).

(4) There is life in the blood, and this word “life” in the original Hebrew is the word “soul” (Lev. 17.11 mg., 17.14). “Underneath the altar” means underneath the earth. The altar typifies the cross; beneath the cross is the earth. Hence underneath the altar here refers to Paradise in the heart of the earth (Matt. 12.40). We notice the following clause in Acts 2.27: “because thou wilt not leave my soul unto Hades”; moreover, in Numbers 16.32 it is stated that “the earth opened its mouth, and swallowed them up, and their households, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods” (Not only may no man appear before God without a body, neither may he enter the lake of fire without a body.).

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12.40). How can men spend less time in Hades than Jesus did?

How can Jesus judge you at His return if you go to Heaven the moment you die?
    Judgment-Seat comes before you enter Heaven. When your spirit is give back to God when ...
  3. Intuition

As the soul has its senses, so too has the spirit. The spirit is intimately related to the soul and yet is wholly unlike it. The soul possesses various senses; but a spiritual man is able to detect another set of senses—lodged in the innermost part of his being—which is radically dissimilar from his set of soulical senses. There in that innermost recess he can rejoice, grieve, anticipate, love, fear, approve, condemn, decide, discern. These motions are sensed in the spirit and are quite distinct from those expressed by the soul through the body.

We can learn about the sensing of the spirit and its many-sided character from the following verses:

“The spirit indeed is willing” Matt. 26.41
    Perceiving in his spirit” Mark 2.8
    “He sighed deeply in his spirit” Mark 8.12
    “My spirit rejoices in God my Savior” Luke 1.47
    “The true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth” John 4.23
    “He was deeply moved in spirit and troubled” John 11.33
    “When Jesus had thus spoken, he was troubled in spirit” John 13.21
    “His spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols” Acts 17.16
    “He had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit” Acts 18.25
    ‘Paul purposed in the spirit” Acts 19.21 ASV
    “I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem” Acts 20.22 ASV
    “(Be) fervent in spirit” Rom. 12.11 ASV
    “For what person knows a man’s thoughts except the spirit of the man which is in him” 1 Cor. 2.11
    “I will sing with the spirit” 1 Cor. 14.15
    “If you bless with the spirit” 1 Cor. 14.16
    “I had no rest in my spirit” 2 Cor. 2.13 Darby
    “We have the same spirit of faith” 2 Cor. 4.13
    “A spirit of wisdom and of revelation” Eph.1.17
    “Your love in spirit” Col. 1.8 literal

From these many passages we can see readily that the spirit clearly senses and that such sensing is manifold. The Bible is not telling us here how our heart senses but rather how our spirit does. And it would appear that the sensing of the spirit is as inclusive as that of the soul. The spirit like the soul has its thoughts, feelings, and desires. But how we must learn to distinguish the spiritual from the soulical! We shall come to appreciate this difference if we are matured through the ...