Atheists feel justified in rejecting a God who, contrary to basic human compassion, predestinates multitudes to eternal torment whom He could just as well have predestined to eternal joy in His presence. Some try to escape the moral disaster by simply saying it is hidden in the secret of God's will-an obvious copout. Others, while admitting this monstrous contradiction, insist that what seems abhorrent to us is not so to God. That argument, however, is demolished by the fact that God has written His standards in every conscience and reasons with mankind upon that very basis (Is. 1.10-20). "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also them likewise" (Luke 6.31).

Calvinist cannot agree on how to handle Paul's clear declaration that God desires "all men to be saved" (1 Tim. 2.4). Of course many calvinists argue that Paul doesn't mean "all men" but "all classes of men". Calvin himself adopted this devious idea for escaping the truth concerning God's love for all. Yet Spurgeon rejected this ploy: "As it is my wish that is should be so, as it is your wish that it might be so, so it is God's wish that all men should be saved; for assuredly, he is not less benevolent than we are."

The rabbit hole gets dug this way: Spurgeon said God apparently has two wills, "God's will of decree (His eternal purpose)...[and] God's will of desire." But Spurgeon pleaded ignorance: "[God] has infinite benevolence which is not at all points worked out by his infinite omnipotence; and if anybody asks me why it is not, I cannot tell...of all difficulties." What a copout. God is not totally benevolent?

Calvinism creates this "difficulty"! To face reality a Calvinist would have to abandon the dogmas which he has devoted his life and reputation. Many have done so. It is our prayer that we may help more to be delivered from TULIP.