Re: ghollisjr @ YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ghollisjr
This is getting tiresome. A time which is infinity ago does not exist in the same way that infinity is not an element of the real numbers. This does not mean that the real numbers have a lower bound, and it does not mean that there was a beginning of time either. I have explained this over and over again, and you keep telling me that I'm confused or delusional. I'm in graduate school working on a PhD in physics, I am not the one who is confused, or delusional as I have provided the demonstration for my arguments in the form of mapping time to the real numbers, which can be and is done every time we perform a time calculation in physics. Physics never says that time nesessarily had to have a beginning, just that our current natural laws started with the big bang. This does not mean that the big bang somehow came from philosophical nothingness, and it doesn't mean that time didn't exist either, just that our current description is incapable of saying what happened before the big bang if there was a "before".

Also, where are you getting this whole "you would have already happened if there was a past eternity of cause and effects"?? I'm pretty sure your reasoning is assuming that there is actually a time which is infinitely far away from any other time. But the idea behind the real numbers is that there is always an element which bigger or smaller (more negative) than any element you choose in the real numbers. So, if infinity belonged to the reals, there would have to be a number bigger than infinity. This type of thing happens in set theory (look up aleph 0 on mathworld.wolfram.com) where there are infinities which are different from other infinities, but is not a part of the real numbers and is thus not a part of my description of time. Your idea of time may in fact disallow an infinite regress, but it is not the one used to describe the universe in the most reliable way we have found to date: science.

If you want to talk about infinity, I suggest studying mathematics on the subject as it is a concept which is best described axiomatically and not using intuitional logic.
I would be tired too if I was living a lie and trying to rationalize it come hell or high water.

Your infinite regress theory is not bound, for it is an infinite regress of cause and effects. In your infinite regress theory time goes on forever in the past, but again, this is impossible because you would have happened already, having had an eternity to do so. And you would have never existed because a past eternity would still be going on, never to reach this point. Trust me, the most educated person in the world doesn't have an advantage over the most simple-minded person when it comes to accepting or rejecting God because the logic is simple, evidence clear for all to understand, and the additional information only corroborates the finding further rather than overturning it.

Numbers are not causal entities. They are descriptive. You can map them all you want, but if you don't apply them correctly to the real life scenario, you are just doing fuzzy math. A number can't cause anything to happen, but when a ball drops on a ground it is because someone or something released it.

We know what happened before the big bang in that it required a cause because it can't come from non-existence. Why is this so difficult for your to understand? Why shut your mind down? Don't shut your mind down like a zombie for Satan for that is how you are coming across.

I make no assumptions. If you want to bring in your idea of infinite regress to replace God then you must follow its consequences, since you would have had an eternity of cause and effects to come into being before now, so you should have already happened. And you should never have happened because your alleged past eternity would still be going on, never to reach this point. How self-contradictory a past eternity is!

There is nothing bigger than infinity. Infinity is the biggest there is. Practically bigger or smaller infinities are in the domain of your fantasy, not reality. Infinity is infinity. Anything approximating infinity is deemed to be infinity. I first learned that in my grade 12 Calculus class. Basic.

I used science to prove to you through the law of cause and effect (trillions and trillions of them), there can't be an infinite regress, nor something from nothing, so nature needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, being uncreated. The very nature of God is to be uncreated, not bound by time or space.

Pretty simple. We all intuitively know this, but those who are hostile to God shut their minds down like you do which you are free to do so even for eternity in Hell. How sad for you.