Reactions to the church have not changed in 20 centuries. I experience it myself with people in my sphere of influence. They lash out quite bizarrely. It is like you are turning their world upside down when you mention God's saving grace through His Son.

Paul Preaches in Thessalonica

Act 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphip'olis and Apollo'nia, they came to Thessaloni'ca, where there was a synagogue of the Jews.
Act 17:2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and for three weeks he argued with them from the scriptures,
Act 17:3 explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ."
Act 17:4 And some of them were persuaded, and joined Paul and Silas; as did a great many of the devout Greeks and not a few of the leading women.
Act 17:5 But the Jews were jealous, and taking some wicked fellows of the rabble, they gathered a crowd, set the city in an uproar, and attacked the house of Jason, seeking to bring them out to the people.
Act 17:6 And when they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some of the brethren before the city authorities, crying, "These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also,
Act 17:7 and Jason has received them; and they are all acting against the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, Jesus."
Act 17:8 And the people and the city authorities were disturbed when they heard this.
Act 17:9 And when they had taken security from Jason and the rest, they let them go.