Thread: Moroni 8:18 Can Lead Mormons Out of Mormonism

Blog Entries

Default Moroni 8:18 Can Lead Mormons Out of Mormonism

"For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity" (Moroni 8:18).

This verse agrees with what the Bible says.

Joseph Smith taught in 1844 in a public sermon, "We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea" (King Follett discourse).

How can both be true?

"Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me" (Is. 43.10).

"A Prayer of Moses, the man of God. LORD, thou hast been our dwelling place, our refuge, in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting thou art God" (Ps. 90.1,2).

Joseph Smith said in 1844,

"I wish to declare I have always and in all congregations when I have preached on the subject of the Deity, it has been the plurality of Gods" (Meeting in the Grove, east of the Temple, June 16, 1844.)

"Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any" (Is. 44.6,8).

God says He knows not any other gods and Joseph Smith teaches the plurality of gods. Who's right?

"And Zeezrom said unto him: Thou sayest there is a true and living God? And Amulek [prophet] said: Yea, there is a true and living God. Now Zeezrom said: Is there more than one God? And he answered, No" (BofM, Alma 11:26-29).

Joseph Smith said, "It is necessary we should understand the character and being of God and how he came to be so; for I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and suppose that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see. and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did. Here then, is eternal life--to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 345-47).

How does what Joseph said agree with the Bible? "Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me" (Is. 43.10).

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Since the Book of Mormon agrees on all these points with the Bible are they both wrong or is Joseph Smith wrong?

Joseph Smith said, "I will preach on the plurality of Gods… I have always and in all congregations when I have preached on the subject of Deity, it has been the plurality of Gods. . . . Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and that the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods (Joseph Fielding Smith, ed. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 370; given August 15, 1844).

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name [not in the names] of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matt. 28.19).

The Book of Mormon agrees. "And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one" (3 Nephi 11:27).

Joseph Smith is not agreeing with the Trinity but the Bible and the Book of Mormon are teaching the Trinity.

"And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen" (2 Nephi 31:21).

Joseph Smith said, "My object was to preach the scriptures, and preach the doctrine they contain, there being a God above, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Joseph Smith's Sermon on Plurality of Gods as printed in History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 473-479).

Joseph Smith said, "If Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and John discovered that God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that He had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son?" (Sermon on Plurality of Gods, Joseph Smith)

"Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee" (Ps. 91.9,10).

"Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him" (3 Nephi 17).

"To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like? Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me" (Is. 46.5,9).

Blog Entries

"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23). Joseph Smith wrote this. He made up Nephi.

Blog Entries

Default Sandra Tanner, Dr. Lynn Wilder and Michael Wilder

Sandra Tanner, former Mormon, is the great great granddaughter of Brigham Young, the 2nd prophet of the Mormon church. She shares this information. In June 1988, Gordon B. Hinckley, president of the Mormon Church, said, "The traditional Christ of whom they [Christians] speak is not the Christ of whom I speak." Why? Because the Christ of the Bible has eternally been God. He's never been less than He is today. The Jesus of mormonism is one of a whole string of gods. His father earned the right to be heavenly father. Their Jesus had to earn the right to become a god. Jesus in mormonism has not always been god. It is something he achieved. It is the goal of every Mormon man to achieve godhood the same as the Mormon Jesus did, the same as Jesus' father did. Dr. Lynn Wilder, former tenured associate professor at Brigham Young University, published more than 50 scholarly publications. She was a Mormon for 30 years. She left her teaching position in 2008 after becoming a Christian. She offered these thoughts. There are blatant contradictions between the 4 main books of mormonism. One says God is spirit, the other says God is flesh and bone. You can't have it both ways. Michael Wilder, husband, former leader of the Mormon church and member of the high council. These Christians have authority when exposing Mormonism.

The Pearl of Great Price says, "for they [Christian Churches] were all wrong...all their creeds were an abomination..." Sandra Tanner wrote "Mormonism - Shadow or Reality?" (587 pages) It shows original Mormon documents photocopied. Sandra Tanner grew in a Mormon household. In mormonism it is all about getting a temple recommend to go through the rituals in their temples. Whereas in Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus and dying with Christ on the cross. Joseph Smith in 1820 went out into the wilderness to pray, and asked God which church to join. God supposedly told him all the churches were corrupt and that he was going to restore the true church through Joseph. In this first vision, Joseph supposedly saw both God and Jesus as two separate beings. From this Mormons take their view of God which is very different than standard Christianity because these are two gods. Mormon Apostle Legrand Richards said, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." But Isaiah 43.10 says, "Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me." 44.8 reads, "...Is there a God beside Me? Yea, there is no God; I know not any." God doesn't even know of any other gods.

Joseph Smith, the lunatic said, "God, himself, was once as we are now and is an exalted man and sits enthroned in yonder heaven. I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil so that you may see he was once a man like us and you have to learn how to be Gods yourselves." Could you be any more arrogant and obnoxious claiming God had to become God? This is certainly not God of the Bible. This is what Mormons call the goofy "law of eternal progression." Mormons claim their God use to live on some other planet near the made up planet or star called Kolob. He would have had a mortal life, went to work, had a job, married then died and went to heaven. He had to go to school and learn how to become a God. Don't know long that took though. He was then ready to go off and start his own world just like the Mormon videos shown to Mormons that managed to get into the temple. He populates with his multiple goddess wives this new planet with spirit children he formed from pre-existing atheist matter and intelligences (whatever that means) who have the same potential to become gods also. Atheists also believe in pre-existing matter. Christians do not.

Joseph Fielding Smith (10th prophet/president of the Mormon church) said, "Our Father in heaven, according to the prophet, had a father and since there has been a condition of this kind through all eternity, each father had a father." I'm surprised that not more atheists are drawn to Mormonism because they teach eternal progression also, in one form or another to reject God, and they teach "a condition of this kind through all eternity" also. How many gods are there? It seems Mormons are saying there is an infinite regression of gods creating gods, mothers, fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers, etc. I still think that's weird that your god had physical sex using his supposedly physical body just like ours and that he had sex with his own daughter Mary. Did she consent to be raped by her father? And his physically birthed son Joseph who forgot Mary was his sister, because he couldn't remember his pre-existence, when he had sex with her too. I am at a loss to find these teachings in the 66 books of the Bible or how they could possibly agree with such heresies.

By 1844, Joseph Smith totally disregarded the teachings of the Book of Mormon. When you study your way out of Mormonism, you will come to realize that Joseph Smith taught differently than the Book of Mormon in his later writings. He started out with one God then as the years went by he started separating out the Father, Son and Spirit as separate beings. In his last sermons in his 40's he started teaching that God was once a man, and man can become a God so it is an evolving theology. The Book o Mormon starts you out with a monotheistic Trinitarian God but the other books take you into the world of plural gods.

Brigham Young said "Man is the king of kings and lord of lords in embryo." Every man is god in embryo. Brigham Young said, "The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming Gods like himself" (Journal of Discourses 3:93). Instead of the Mormon God creating for fellowship, he creates to stimulate your pride that you think you can become a god just like the Mormon god. That was the temptation of Satan's fall and man's fall.

Joseph Smith attended various revival meetings put on by Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptists. He decided he need to be a member of some church so he went out into the wilderness to pray to ask which church should he join? God and Jesus appeared to him. He asked them which church? Right in the Pearl of Great Price, he wrote, "I was answered that I must join none of them for they are all wrong. And the personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight. And those professors were all corrupt." All these protestant denominations were not just a little wrong but an abomination. God was going to do a great work and Joseph Smith was going to start the true church of Mormonism. When Mormons go to your door though they may not say it, it is what they are thinking that your church is an abomination. This is a sweeping, vague, general accusation. That's how Satan begins his deception.

Mormons believe in a Mormon gospel, and Christians believe in a Christian gospel. They are not the same. Did God have a wife to procreate with to produce billions of spirit babies? Melvin J. Ballard, one of the 12 Mormon Apostles today, said "For as we have a Father in heaven so also we have a mother there, a glorified, exalted and noble mother." Gordon B. Hinckley who was a member of the 12 Apostles, who later became the 15 Prophet/President of the Mormon cult), said "Logic and reason would certainly suggest that if we have a Father in heaven, we have a mother in heaven."

What's the purpose of all this celestial sex? God has to have a wife to procreate. To reach the highest level you have to be married even though the Bible says there is no marriage in heaven.

Brigham was very hostile to Christians. He said, "With regard to true theology, a more ignorant people never lived than the present so-called Christian world." (Journal of Discourses) Doctrine & Covenants 130, Section 1, verse 30 reads as the Mormon Jesus speaking, "The only true and living church, upon the face of the earth today is the Mormon Church."

In Mormonism every god had to go through an earth process of being a human before becoming a God. So he was not always God. Every man has the potential to be the heavenly father. Mormons redefine eternal life, for to them it means godhood. Whereas eternal life in the Bible in John 17.3 means an ability to have a relationship with Jesus as well as eternal blessings to be pillars of the New City in the New Earth.

The works to get this different eternal life than salvation in the Bible, include being fully active in the Mormon cult. It means taking all the jobs they would assign you such as teaching Sunday school. You have to do that. Beyond that you have to be active in the temple ritual and participate in it regularly. You have to be a full tithe payer, and keep the health code of no smoking and no alcohol. A certain standard of living is expected. Even then you don't know if you have eternal life. You hope you do, but you can ever be sure. Most Mormons if asked if they have eternal life, they couldn't answer they were for sure. They hope they would be, but they are not totally sure. Who can say they have done everything required that they have kept the law perfectly. But the bible says if you live by the law you will die by the law, and no works can get one saved or give them a better standing in heaven, lest anyone should boast. Whereas Christians have eternal life now and can never be lost.

You can really know now. "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17.3).

It's difficult to come out of Mormonism because you have to look at yourself in the mirror and say to yourself you've been wrong for 30 years. You have to say to your children you were wrong teaching them false principles. When you read the Bible you learn you can't earn anything; grace is a gift. When you start taking Jesus PLUS, you start running into problems. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us" (Tit. 3.5).

Thread Information