Thread: Jesus is God

Blog Entries

Default Jesus is God

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him [Jesus Christ v.17]; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." (John 1.1-5)

10 Reasons Why Jesus is God
    The Apostle Thomas called Jesus "God"
    "27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God." (John 20.27,28)

The Apostle Peter called Jesus "God"
    "Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" (2 Pet. 1.1).

The Apostle Paul called Jesus "God"
    "12 ... we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.) (Tit. 2.12b-14)

The Apostle John called Jesus "God"

"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him [Jesus Christ v.17]; and without him was not any thing made that was made." (John 1.1-3) We can confirm the word of Jesus because verse 14 says, "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Isaiah the Prophet said the Messiah would be "God"
    "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." (Is. 9.6)

The Jews who Crucified Jesus understood Him to be Saying that He was Equal with God
    "Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God." (John 5.18)

"The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God" (John 10.33).

Jesus Gives Eternal Life and Forgives Sins
    Jesus said, "27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand." (John 10.27,28)

"5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. 6 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts. Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" (Mark 2.5-7).

Jesus' Blood is Called God's Blood
    "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20.28)

Jesus called Himself "I AM" and "the Alpha and the Omega"
    "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." (John 8.58)

"12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward [is] with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last" (Rev. 22.12,13).

"17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death." (Rev. 1.17,18)

God the Father Called Jesus "God"
    "8 But unto the Son [he saith], Thy throne, O God, [is] for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness [is] the sceptre of thy kingdom." (Heb. 1.8)

Blog Entries

How do we reconcile all these passages that Jesus is God with Him saying "for my Father is greater than I"?

A son shows obedience to a father so this relationship set up in the Godhead is maintained for the purpose of showing us perfect obedience and God's will. Who can show such perfect obedience to God the Father than God the Son?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNU View Post
    So you admit that the 2 Gods are not equal?

Yes or no?
    There is only one God here so your question is false when you speak of multiple gods.

God the Father and God the Son and God the Spirit are One God. Just because in the Godhead the Son does the will of the Father doesn't suggest more than one God. The 3 Persons of the Godhead are co-equal as Phil. 2 says Jesus counted His equality with the Father something not to be grasped.

Since the Bible says the Father is greater, but other passages say they are equal, it's a matter of showing obedience. Also, before time and space the Godhead was 3 Persons but the Father, Son and Spirit relationship had not manifested until revealed to humans.

The 3 Persons of the Godhead show God is tri-personal. The 2nd Person would enter His creation to atone for sins and do the perfect will of the 1st Person and the 3rd Person would indwell believers.

Thread Information