Part of being ready is not teaching falsely that it is impossible to know when the Lord returns. Jesus once did not know and neither did the Angels but this is not always the case.

Certain things must occur such as Ezekiel's prophecy on his side predicting when Israel would be a nation again which Ezekiel predicted to the month of May and the year 1948. Then Matt. 24.32,33 says when the fig tree's branches are tender, His return is "right at the door". More information follows. Isaac Newtown correctly discerned Jesus would return in 17,640 days or (7 sets of 7 x 360) from June 7, 1967 when Jerusalem was reclaimed to Sept. 23, 2015 Day of Atonement--except that there is a delay of 7 years because of 7 years of plenty to store up for 7 years of famine.

Most people don't know when the Lord returns so they are told to be watchful. But some who are watchful know when the Lord returns.

Stand at the door as He comes to steal the best first if you know when the Lord returns and don't live evilly and just repent before. If this is what you did premeditatedly God will not consider you an overcomer though saved.

"Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee" (Rev. 3.3)

Clearly, this verse says the reason you don't know when the Lord returns is because you have to be watchful to know, otherwise "thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee."