Thread: The Leftovers (2014) TV Series

Blog Entries

Default The Leftovers (2014) TV Series

I watched the first episode of the new 2014 tv series The Leftovers in which 2% of the population on the planet vanish. The show then picks up 3 years after the rapture, and everyone on the show has a hard edge to them since they don't believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. It's even more telling that after this event they are oblivious to the word of God though some try to make sense of it through Scripture in strange ways yet still not believing Jesus is God.

What I thought most striking were this cult of people who wear just white robes, and in pairs of two stand quietly in front of others in judgment, e.g. they may stand outside a person's home all night. And weirdly enough they are smokers; they say they smoke to proclaim their faith. My initial thought to that was their flesh could rationalize anything; after all they think they are the ones given white robes as "righteousness of the saints." When they hold up a sign that says "Don't Waste Your Breath" what they are really saying is God has judged and it is too late now to be saved so toke up since you have been permanently judged. That would be the teaching of Calvinism which, of course, is a lie. But God is merciful and gives you every opportunity to be saved before they leave their bodies of flesh and blood.

This tv series twists the meaning of the "white robes" of the 5th Seal in Revelation. In the show, the members of this cult of white robes never speak as though their voices have been slain. They stand in judgment of others without saying a word.

"And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled" (Rev. 6.9-11).

The actual intent of this passage is that those who are Christians and were martyred in the past 20 centuries will be raptured "before the throne" (7.9) in 3rd heaven along with overcomers raptured alive before the 1st trumpet (8.7) of the Tribulation. These white robes are the "righteousness of the saints" well deserving of the first rapture that is according to readiness.

I believe Satan is trying to hard to twist God's word. This movie is teaching a Pretrib onlyism rapture view rather than the Partial Rapture view (Matt. 24.40-42, Luke 21.36, Rev. 3.10) in which there is a condition for first rapture, not simply for being saved.

And how evil that would be to disallow anyone from being saved to be able to give their lives to Christ during the Tribulation and without the Holy Spirit as the pretribber onlyists teach!

During this first episode there is an initial 3 year grace period after the rapture. What is to follow I am sure will give the Antichrist much leverage to control the world. The title of the TV series is inappropriate because Christians who were not ready to be received who pass through the Tribulation should not be considered as leftovers. All Christians overcometh, but not all Christians overcome at the same time, so a great many believers will pass through the time of testing to be received up not at the first rapture but at the 7th or "last trump" (1 Cor. 15.50-52; 1 Thess. 4.14-18). There is still time even to overcometh once-saved by keeping the conduct of Matt. 5-7 or even as martyrs for Christ during the 7 year Tribulation, Daniel's final seven.

It is estimated that only 1/7th of Christians alive at the first rapture will be taken and not left at the first rapture, because only 1 of the 7 churches in Rev. 2 & 3 was told to keep what they had already attained which was in brotherly love.

This tv series gives a really strange vibe as though the people left try to behave humbly but a constant rage is always brewing within them. There is a dead spirit among everyone left. They seem lifeless almost like zombies carrying on their daily lives. We find them rationalizing and blaming those who have been taken as not being any better than they are. They still don't understand that salvation is not by works lest anyone should boast. They even cite many bad things that the saved have done so they are not any better than those who are left.

If I had a dime for every time I tried to explain to people who are not saved that their works can't save them...

Interestingly, there is still some children left. The news broadcast says 1 in 50 people were taken. How cannot all children be taken since they haven't reached the age of accountability yet? I suppose someone children are of the age of accountability and that it depends on the maturity of the person specifically.

Oct. 14 is when the tv series places the rapture which is usually around Feast of Tabernacles, but Feast of Tabernacles represents the end of the Tribulation when Jesus returns to tabernacle among men when He steps down on the mount of olives (Zech. 14.4, Acts 1.11, Rev. 1.7). The show should have placed the rapture around Feast of Trumpets usually in September or early October and 15 days before Tabernacles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_...2.80.932030.29

Another strange aspect is all the dogs in the town have gone violent or unholy so one character in the show is driving around trying to kill the dogs.

"For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog" (Ps. 22.16,20).

Blog Entries

Those who are left behind (the leftovers) in this movie are desperately trying to make sense of why they are left behind. They come to realize some of those who were taken appear to have been doing all kinds of unethical things.

"Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left" (Matt. 24.40).

According to the Bible "your Lord" (v.42) is the Lord of those who believe in Jesus Christ. Verse 42, speaking to believers, says "Watch therefore...." If you are not watchful you won't be taken. But just because you are left doesn't mean you would be unsaved, for the determining factor of whether one is saved or not is John 3.16.

Therefore, this movie is deceptive because it portrays people left as being unsaved which is why it produces an eerie negative feeling. Whereas the proper picture should be that of both the unsaved and saved whom are left, except the saved are not depressing like the unsaved, for the saved would still have the joy of Christ and are working to overcome in life. They are assured they will meet the Lord in the air at the last trump (1 Cor. 15.52). They simply weren't ready to be received at the first rapture.

I honestly believe Satan uses movies and tv series to confound, confuse, deceive people and lead them astray even the elect if it were possible.

"Then we which are alive and left shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thess. 4.17).

This does not include all 'left,' only believers who are left. It is redundant to say those who are alive and left, because obviously, those who are alive at the end are left, and those who are left would be still alive. So what is meant here is that they are left because they had not first been taken beforehand.

Those who war against Jesus will of course perish, but many who did not war against Jesus when He returns yet still do not accept who He truly is remain unsaved, and so Jesus along with His overcomers will reign over the nations with a rod of iron (Rev. 2.26,27).

Overcomers include (Rev. 20.4-6) (1) overcoming saints in the OT period since Abel (v.4a), (2) martyred in Christ from the past 20 centuries (6.9-11), (3) those raptured alive at the first rapture (7.9), (4) martyrs during the Tribulation period (referenced in 6.11), and (5) any overcomers from the time of the blowing of the last trumpet (11.15) and gleaning period (1260-1290th day in Dan. 12.11) if possible. Jesus would step down on the mount of olives (Zech. 14.4, Acts 1.11, Rev. 1.7) at the end of the 7th trumpet, in other words, the 1260th day of the Great Tribulation. The Great Tribulation is the second half of the 2,520 days of the Tribulation. Jesus will judge the nations for 30 days from the 1260th to the 1290th day.

Blog Entries

Episode 7 was awesome. Trying to show people even during the Tribulation they are asleep and the reason why they were not "taken" but "left" (Matt. 24.40-42) is like climbing a mountain, a very difficult task indeed! This is what Christians experience in giving the gospel of salvation to people, but the remaining unregenerates on earth could care less as they are lost in their worldly affairs. It's as if they can't handle the truth and by getting lost in worldly affairs that allows them to eek out some sort of meaningful existence even though in reality they are perishing. Very few people come to Christ now as the gospel has reached most people. Time is short. Jesus is returning soon. And it will be too late for most! We've been amply warned.

Blog Entries

Really what would it be like in a world of basically just atheists after the rapture? This show shows how decrepit they are as there is no Christians to stand between them. If you introduce the idea of other religions as well though still no Christians you have the same problem. It's not a world you want to be in.

Episode 9 - this episode is making it ever more clear those who were not taken in the rapture have no hope, they are going to Hell, so if they commit suicide it doesn't matter, they are still going to Hell. Of course that's not what the Bible teaches about salvation. The Bible teaches even to your last dying breath you still have the opportunity accept Christ as your Savior and receive what He did on the cross for the salvation of sinners.

The cult of white shirts is a suicide cult. We learn this in this episode. One by one they are killing each other off. This show is getting crazier and crazier!

Mistaken assumptions are deadly. Satan plants a seed, a false idea, and it takes hold in their lives.

Blog Entries

Job Proclaims God’s Righteous Judgments
    God Knows Men’s Ways (Job 23 NASB)

After Kevin Garvey, the police chief, said he didn't believe in the Bible, he read this passage.
    ​ ​
    8 “But if I go to the east, he is not there;if I go to the west, I do not find him.
    9 When he is at work in the north, I do not see him;
    when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.
    10 But he knows the way that I take;
    when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.
    11 My feet have closely followed his steps;
    I have kept to his way without turning aside.
    12 I have not departed from the commands of his lips;
    I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.
    13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose him?
    He does whatever he pleases.
    14 He carries out his decree against me,
    and many such plans he still has in store.
    15 That is why I am terrified before him;
    when I think of all this, I fear him.
    16 God has made my heart faint;
    the Almighty has terrified me.
    17 Yet I am not silenced by the darkness,
    by the thick darkness that covers my face.

Questioning why he was not taken in the rapture, it seems obvious, he did not accept what Jesus did on the cross.

But more than that, those who were saved, not everyone of them was taken, because the first rapture is a matter of readiness (Matt. 24.40-42, Luke 21.36, Rev. 3.10), not only being born-again.

The latter does not play out in the tv series so the show is misrepresenting the Scriptures since first rapture is according to readiness.

I am not sure if the minister in the show was a minister before the rapture or after, but if it was before then he could be considered a "nominal Christian" that is, a false one.

Blog Entries

In season 3, episode 5, the argument made by the man claiming to be God on the Ferry to Melbourne said Jesus had a twin brother and that Mary lied about Jesus being the Son of God. There is only a few days left to the end of the 7 year Tribulation. Kevin Garvey who keeps coming back to life after he dies, people are starting to believe he is the return of Jesus. As the Bible teaches a man claiming to be God will inhabit the 3rd Temple. There would be many false Christs. Everything has the purpose of leading people away from the atonement Jesus dying on the cross for the sins of the world and that Jesus is God the Son, 2nd Person of the Trinity. You can easily disprove what is false. For example, in the Bible nobody can ever see the Father, so this guy in the wheelchair claiming to be God and saving people with the snap of his fingers is obviously false because he is seen by everyone. So much plagiarizing of the Bible only to twist it. I guess he wasn't God after all since he was eaten by a lion. Crazy show.

Thread Information