Thread: Paradise Below and Paradise Above, Hades, Hell, Sheol, Pit, Abaddon, Grave, Dead

Blog Entries

Default Paradise Below and Paradise Above, Hades, Hell, Sheol, Pit, Abaddon, Grave, Dead

Some people think Sheol is only a bad place or even Hell. The truth is Sheol which is Hades has both a good and a bad side.

As the time approached for David to die, David pleaded with God about Joab son of Zeruiah, "do not let his gray head descend to Sheol in peace" (1 Kings 2.6).

By inference, a person can go down to Sheol in peace. The Apologetics Study Bible on page 499 says,

"Sheol" in Hebrew thought was the abode of the dead, both good and evil. Though the overall picture of Sheol is grim, the OT nevertheless affirms that God is there. "If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there" (Ps. 139.8). The Hebrew word is Sheol. But God is not in Hell or the bad side of Hades, nor is He in the pit. "Even Death and Destruction hold no secrets from the LORD. How much more does he know the human heart!" (Prov. 15.11) The Hebrew here is Sheol and Abaddon. Sounds like abandon. Abaddon is "either the grave or the realm of the dead." Both the saved and the unsaved will see death. Sheol is the Hebrew word for either the grave or the realm of the dead.

It is impossible to hide from God in Sheol. "The underworld is naked in God's presence. The place of destruction is uncovered" (Job 26.6). The Hebrew word for underworld and place of destruction is Sheol and Abaddon. ""Even if they dig down to the place of the dead, I will reach down and pull them up. Even if they climb up into the heavens, I will bring them down" (Amos 9.2). Again, the place of the dead is Sheol not Hell.

The OT also affirms that God has power over Sheol and is capable of ransoming souls from its depths. "he keeps back his soul from the Pit, his life from perishing by the sword" (Job 33.18). The Pit is the Abyss another place for the demonic spirits and where Satan will be sent for 1000 years after the Great Tribulation before he goes to Hell. "He has redeemed my soul from going down into the Pit, and my life shall see the light. Behold, God does all these things, twice, three times, with a man, to bring back his soul from the Pit, that he may see the light of life" (Job 33.28-30).

"For you will not abandon my soul to the grave, or let your holy one see corruption" (Ps. 16.10). Grave here is Sheol in Hebrew. "O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit" (Ps. 30.3). "But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol, For He will receive me" (Ps. 49.15). Sheol here is the nether world. "For your love for me is very great. You have rescued me from the depths of death" (Ps. 86.13). Depths of death is the depths of Sheol.

The KJV usually replaces these terms with Hell which is a big mistake. Hell is the domain of eternal separation from God after one is resurrected. Those in the grave have not be resurrected yet. The saved go to the good side of Hades where Jesus went when He died to see the repentant thief. Ancient Israel also called this good side Paradise Below in contrast to the Paradise Above.

The hell people often refer to the bible calls the lake fo fire.
    Put Christ first.

Blog Entries

Yes. Hades or Sheol will be thrown into Hell the Lake of Fire the Second Death. KJV got this matter horribly wrong.

The correct rendering of Rev. 20.14 is "And death and hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death" not "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

Thread Information