Thread: Christians Should Not Do Yoga

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting concept. There are many health benefits to the type of exercises yoga focuses on, but it is good to see a better-grounded spiritual alternative.

Blog Entries

I was thinking this phrase to myself: “’All things are lawful,’ but not allthings are helpful. ‘All things are lawful,’ but not all things build up” (1Cor. 10.23) which led me to this article then I thought of those people I know who practice yoga or have other bad habits.

Question: "What is theChristian view of yoga?"

Answer:
    For many Christiansin the West who don't understand the history behind it, yoga is simply a meansof physical exercise and strengthening and improving flexibility of themuscles. However, the philosophy behind yoga is much more than physicallyimproving oneself. It is an ancient practice derived from India, believed to bethe path to spiritual growth and enlightenment.

The word yoga means "union," and the goal is to unite one'stransitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of"God." This god is not a literal being, but is an impersonalspiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos. This view is called"pantheism," the belief that everything is God and that realityconsists only of the universe and nature. Because everything is God, the yogaphilosophy makes no distinction between man and God.

Hatha yoga is the aspect of yoga which focuses on the physical body throughspecial postures, breathing exercises, and concentration or meditation. It is ameans to prepare the body for the spiritual exercises, with fewer obstacles, inorder to achieve enlightenment. The practice of yoga is based on the beliefthat man and God are one.It is little more than self-worship disguised as high-level spirituality.

The question becomes, isit possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply amethod of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophybehind it? Yoga originated with a blatantly anti-Christian philosophy, and thatphilosophy has not changed. Itteaches one to focus on oneself instead of on the one true God. Itencourages its participants to seek the answers to life's difficult questions within their own conscienceinstead of in the Word of God. It also leaves one open to deception from God'senemy, who searches forvictims that he can turn away from God (
    1 Peter 5:8).

Whatever we do should be done for God's glory (
    1 Corinthians 10:31),and we would be wise to heed the words of the apostle Paul: "Fix yourthoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that arepure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthyof praise" (Philippians 4:8, NLT).

Recommended Resource:
    The Kingdom of the Cults, revised and updated edition.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-yoga.html

Thread Information