Quote Originally Posted by Resistance
It's easy believism to just believe one time...to be a once saved always saved
Imagine what it would be like if you were to give up all control of yourself and place your trust and dependency not in a god who gives you the option to get out later, but to choose the God whom you say to, Lord, I can't save myself, nor do I want a salvation with an option to get out later, but I want to be saved by you Who can keep me and help me to remain in your stead. That's a choice worth making don't you think? Rather than think you are so powerful you can keep yourself saved with respect to a God who is infinitely greater than you. How can you O Man think you can keep yourself saved against infinity? This takes humility to be willing to come to the cross as a helpless sinner and receive the Lord Jesus as Savior.

Then imagine you decide to be a slothful Christian, think how long 1000 years is compared to your meager 90 years of life on earth today. That is an awful long time it seems to lose the blessing to be with the Lord on Earth to not reign with Him for 1000 years. You will be gnashing your teeth in regret and full of sorrow as you are disciplined and made ready for the New City in the New Earth. Outer darkness truly is outside the light of rewards of reigning with Christ during the 1000 years. Scholars have compared the outer darkness to the darkness surrounding a brightly lit house late at night. The house in this case is the millennial reign of Christ with His overcomers who enjoy this reward. But the non-overcomer believers are outside in the darkness; they might even be able to see the glimmering light of the house as a reminder of their carelessness. Of course there is no fire or furnace about it, but nonetheless this is just discipline don't you think? There is accountability for Christians. It is a just punishment to be sure. It's a discipline worthy of the saints who do not overcometh, who do not keep the conduct of Matthew 5-7.