Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Popularity of Historicism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PeteWaldo Guest

By the way, Historicism is a doctrine to which I do not describe and is an entirely inappropriate place to put this. They believe that the pope/papacy is "The" "Antichrist" etc. etc.

It belongs in a section called something like "traditional continuous-historic view of prophecy".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaldo View Post
    By the way, Historicism is a doctrine to which I do not describe and is an entirely inappropriate place to put this. They believe that the pope/papacy is "The" "Antichrist" etc. etc.

It belongs in a section called something like "traditional continuous-historic view of prophecy".
    Historicism is the name for all historical views such as preterism, partial preterism, postmillennialism and amillennialism. It even captures part of posttribulation rapture onlyism. Historicism simply means you treat most of the book of Revelation as already fulfilled. Whereas the futurist position says anywhere from up to chapter 3 to chapter 6 have been fulfilled.

Since the Roman Church first introduced amillennialism, it belongs here.

All historicism is wrong including your amillennialism.

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Pete, respond to my specific points above for Rev. 17.8.

PeteWaldo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwork View Post
    Can you first answer the only question I asked of you, before that, at the end of the OP?

Where is the temple of God?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaldo View Post
    Where is the temple of God?
    It depends. Which verse are you referring to?

PeteWaldo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nottheworld View Post
    It depends.
    It does?

Which verse are you referring to?
    How many temples of God are there?
    I count the one that Jesus rebuilt in 3 days, just as He promised, composed of regenerate believers. The corporate body of Christ, as well as our own bodies serving as temples of the Holy Spirit.

What temple of God have you got in mind?

Blog Entries

Jesus will be in the Temple in Jerusalem when He reigns on Earth. During the millennial kingdom the New Jerusalem above can't come down all the way because the Temple still remains on earth, but after the 1000 years there is no need for a Temple, because God and the Lamb will be the temple in the center of the New City. By the way the Temple in the OT represents our spirit, soul and body as the Holy of Holies, the Holy Place and the Outer Court.

PeteWaldo Guest

Jesus will be in the Temple in Jerusalem when He reigns on Earth.
    I see.

Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

So then the temple that Jesus rebuilt in 3 days doesn't count anymore because Jesus work on the cross was incomplete or insufficient?

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

This temple

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

During the millennial kingdom the New Jerusalem above can't come down all the way because the Temple still remains on earth, but after the 1000 years there is no need for a Temple, because God and the Lamb will be the temple in the center of the New City. By the way the Temple in the OT represents our spirit, soul and body as the Holy of Holies, the Holy Place and the Outer Court.
    All that inspired from a single verse, found in the figurative language of a prophetic vision, as a definite doctrine built upon an indefinite plural.

Blog Entries

Apply Acts 17.24 correctly. Since Jesus is returning to be on earth just as He left (Acts 1.11) then he is going to be here awhile. He is not going to leave as soon as He returns. Therefore, He that "dwelleth not in temples made with hands" is the temple in Heaven. This does not preclude His Son from coming to die on the cross for our sins, turn over the money changer's tables in the temple on earth or to reign on earth from the temple in Jerusalem for 1000 years before the New City on the New Earth commences. It seems to me your faith is dead because you don't have faith to believe Jesus can do this. That's why you try to allegorize a literal Bible.

Why would Jesus' body, His temple, and atoning sacrifice and the pearl of great price (the temple that is the Church of the body of Christ) not count anymore because He is going to return and reign on earth for 1000 years? I don't see the connection.

Plus, I think you are a contradicting yourself, because you are arguing for no millennial kingdom but elsewhere said you are undecided: "I don't teach one way or the other in regard to the millennial reign." You sound like a ball of confusion. Who is the author of confusion? Certainly not God but Satan. If you are undecided why do you never argue for the millennial reign of Christ too? The Bible says be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8).

I still don't know what this figurative indefinite plural is you are talking about. Can you try to be more specific and less vague? So am I to take it that you don't believe the spirit is like the Holy of Holies where the ark is kept, the soul is like the Holy Spirit (Tent of meeting) and our body is represented by the outer court of the Temple? If that is your position, let's talk about it, for there are many verses we can use as OT types for the Temple and our Temple of our spirit, soul and body.

We commune with our High Priest who goes in the Holy of Holies once a year. He indwells our spirit coming down between the cherubim and sheds light in that dark place unseen by any human eyes. In our spirit, the law in the ark convicts our conscience through our intuition. When Jesus died on the cross, the altar in the outer court is where the sacrifice is slain physically atoning for our sins in the flesh. And in the Tent of meeting, the Holy Place of our soul, is where various activities of mind, will and emotion take place such as prayers of the saints taken up in the burning incense.

PeteWaldo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwork View Post
    Let's start with your premise. You wrote

"The Antichrist is described as a living person, not some memory of a dead person of some religion."

Show me where you draw that conclusion through the only 4 verses in scripture that contain the term.

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
    1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: [(but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also].
    1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    2 John 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Thread Information