Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's Illusory? God or a Magical Universe

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DD2014 View Post
    That is not proof, it is speculation.
    Since it is doable, it is a valid explanation. We accept the natural explanation before any supernatural one. You shouldn't first assume some supernatural method especially since you don't even believe in the uncreated creator.

That is in debate.
    No, it is not in debate. It's proven.

Please share them.
    I would be happy to. Here they are.

What we have concerning Jesus is actually quite impressive. We can start with approximately nine traditional authors of the New Testament. If we consider critical thesis that other authors wrote pastoral letters and such letters as Ephesians and 2 Thessalonians, we'd have an even larger number. Another twenty early Christian authors and four heretical writings mention Jesus within 150 years of his death on the cross. (Clement of Rome's letter to the church in Corinth; 2 Clement whose author is unknown; the seven letters of Igantius; Polycarp's letter to the Philippians; The Martyrdom of Polycarp; Didache; the letter of Barnabas; The Shepherd of Hermas; Fragments of Papias; the letter of Diognetus; the Apocalypse o Peter (not to be confused with the Nag Hammadi text of similar name); the Gospel of Peter; the Epistula Apostolorum; and the works of Justyn Martyr, Aristides, Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch, Quadratus, Aristo of Pella, and Melito of Sardis. The four heretical writings are the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Truth, Apocryphon of John, and Treatise on Resurrection-see Habermas, Historical Jesus, 208-15.

Moreover, nine secular, non-Christian sources mention Jesus within 150 years: Joseph, the Jewish historian; Tacitus, the Roman historian; Pliny the Younger, a politician of Rome; Phlegon, a freed slave who wrote histories; Lucian, the Greek satirist; Celsus, a Roman philosopher; the historians Suetonius and Thallus, as well as the prisoner Mara Bar-Serapion (highly regarded in a British Museum). In all, at least forty-two authors, nine of them secular, mention Jesus within 150 years of his death. (see Habermas, Historical Jesus, ch. 9).

A few more fall on the borderline bringing the total non-Christian to 17 non-Christian sources I have in Habermas' Ancient Evidence for the Life of Jesus. His consummate work is The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (2004).

So none of them saw him, it is all hearsay.
    After spending three years with Jesus, Jesus was seen resurrected for 40 days before His ascension. Peter wrote he saw Him resurrected. So did John and Paul. They acknowledge their writing and acknowledge seeing Jesus resurrected. And they mention various others who also saw Jesus resurrected which agrees with the claims of Jude, James, Matthew, Luke and Mark in their writings. Mark even identifies a person in his writings many scholars concede is Mark referring to himself.

Then good ol' Saint Nick has everyone beat. How many eyewitness testimonies have been offered for the existance of Santa??? A heck of a lot more then Jesus or Tiberius. Does that mean Santa is real?

Oh you forgot to answer my question.......
    Santa, taking the name of Satan by reworking the letters, is admittedly a fairy tale who was invented by a Roman Catholic as a story he admits. You are missing the point. You are arguing for not enough sources for Jesus, but he is the most documented person in antiquity, so your approach is faulty.

What question did I forget to answer? Nobody in antiquity has an oldest copy dated at its composition or so closely to the time of the vents than for Jesus, so why do single out Jesus? Though Mark and Matthew and John may have started writing when Jesus was still alive, its unreasonable to demand that oldest and original copy to still be preserved. When you have a doublestandard it shows you are wrong.

As far as I know, there is no certain historical evidence as to the date the gospels creation. None of the other books in the NT acknowledge the writen gospels and the earliest manuscripts date to the second century. I don't know what evidence you are reffering to, please cite.
    We know the NT was completed in the first century because the church fathers can reproduce most of it by their quotes in the second century. And several documents like the Didache in the first century also provide many quotes of the NT. So does Clement and Polycarp still in the first century and they personally knew Peter and John.

Since most of the Apostles died in the Neronian persecutions, their books were written before 65 AD and some much earlier than that. The last book written was the book of Revelation which speaks of end-times and was written in 95 AD the last surviving Apostle of the original 12.

The NT books don't even need to refer to each other. If anything that only shows their independency, yet agrees completely to the events the Apostles encountered. For example, Paul's journeys setting up the churches in many towns an many regions agree with the reports by Luke about his travels. I like that the sources are independent of one another and don't mention each other to show they weren't taking from each other you admit. That's a good thing not a bad thing. It shows authenticity not copying. We, therefore, have multiple independent accounts.

Since Luke wrote Acts, a biography about Paul, but did not report his death, Acts would have been completed before 65 AD. His book of Luke he says is his former work. He took from Mark and Mark worked with Peter. So these writings are dated very early. And Paul says these things he received from the Apostles that he is sharing come from his meetings with Peter, James and John. He says so in 1 Cor. 15, Gal. 1 & 2. He was met Peter and James within 5 years after the cross, or even sooner.

You really got nothing. Try again.

DD2014 Guest

Since it is doable, it is a valid explanation. We accept the natural explanation before any supernatural one.
    Yet you accept one supernatural event after another, after another, after another, in your story book.

My naturalistic explanation for Jesus walking on water: See your explanation

No, it is not in debate. It's proven.
    It is not proven. The burden of proof is on you, and all you can do is repeat your self. Repeating ones self does not prove anything.

We can start with approximately nine traditional authors of the New Testament. If we consider critical thesis that other authors wrote pastoral letters and such letters as Ephesians and 2 Thessalonians, we'd have an even larger number.
    You can't use the bible to prove its self.

That is like me saying "Conan the Glatiator must be real, because it claims to be true."

A few more fall on the borderline bringing the total non-Christian to 17 non-Christian sources I have in Habermas' Ancient Evidence for the Life of Jesus. His consummate work is The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (2004).
    Its funny, you don't have a non-christian that has actually seen Jesus.

You are arguing for not enough sources for Jesus
    No, I am arguing for an eyewitness who is not a christian (and not in the bible).

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Yet you accept one supernatural event after another, after another, after another, in your story book.
    Since you nor I can find a naturalistic explanation for the resurrection data, the only difference is I given into that fact, and you remain hostile to your Creator.

My naturalistic explanation for Jesus walking on water: See your explanation
    That was a sea of water, so you can't put a glass table underneath.

You can't use the bible to prove its self. That is like me saying "Conan the Glatiator must be real, because it claims to be true."
    The writers of the Bible are setting out to prove Jesus is God, just like any proof is does to prove something. And it succeeds because you can't find a naturalistic explanation for the resurrection data.

Its funny, you don't have a non-christian that has actually seen Jesus.
    Thomas was a non-Christian before seeing Jesus resurrected, so were Paul and James, and I am sure at least some of the 500.

No, I am arguing for an eyewitness who is not a christian (and not in the bible).
    The Bible is the contemporary writings of the day about Jesus. You won't find it anywhere else. Those who saw Jesus resurrected could not but turn from doubters to bold proclaimers.

I think what you are asking for is for those who saw Jesus resurrected but still rejected Him and then wrote about Him. But He only appeared to those who would believe. That's brilliant if you think about it. Why give those who would still reject Him the satisfaction. He is seen to His own who would receive Him.

Praise the Lord!

DD2014 Guest

Since you nor I can find a naturalistic explanation for the resurrection data, the only difference is I given into that fact, and you remain hostile to your Creator.
    I remain hostile to the fact that you can say "you nor I can find a naturalistic explanation for the resurrection data" and expect that to be your main proof that Jesus is god. Using your logic, everything that cannot be explained must be supernatural. Does that make any sense to you? You are using our LACK OF KNOWLEGE to prove that a magical person is in the sky watching us. Where have we heard this before??? IN EVERY OTHER GOD OF THE GAPS ARGUEMENT!

When did Zeus fall off? When we figured out what makes thunder we didn't need a thunder God anymore.

My point is: Using the LACK of knowege to prove something, is stupid at best. Don't use ignorance to prove a deity.

NEXT!

DD2014 Guest

The writers of the Bible are setting out to prove Jesus is God, just like any proof is does to prove something.
    Or they were bias. Like most people are with the people that they know. If some guy that wasn't Jesus' friend saw him and said "that dude is God" I would consider that an unbias opinion. But that is not the case. You just have a bunch of cult followers that were preaching a bunch of crap.

Do you belive Conan the Glatiator is historical because in Conan the Glatiator it says its historical??? NO! Why? Because a self declaration of truth means nothing!

DD2014 Guest

Thomas was a non-Christian before seeing Jesus resurrected, so were Paul and James, and I am sure at least some of the 500.
    Thomas, Paul and James were christians when they wrote about Jesus. Thus their writings were bias.

Where are the 500's writings?

The Bible is the contemporary writings of the day about Jesus.
    They are a complation of bias and exagerated writings from the cult followers of the person they were writing about.

Those who saw Jesus resurrected could not but turn from doubters to bold proclaimers.
    So 3 people? That seems quite a small conversion rate for the son of a God.

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

I remain hostile to the fact that you can say "you nor I can find a naturalistic explanation for the resurrection data" and expect that to be your main proof that Jesus is god. Using your logic, everything that cannot be explained must be supernatural. Does that make any sense to you? You are using our LACK OF KNOWLEGE to prove that a magical person is in the sky watching us. Where have we heard this before??? IN EVERY OTHER GOD OF THE GAPS ARGUEMENT!
    Jesus said the resurrection proof would be the main proof, and I accept it as the proof still holds. This isn't rocket science. If an explanation could have been arrived at, surely someone would have done so by now. The problem you face is you keep holding out for some explanation, but there is such a thing as false humility. Think of it this way. Let's say you were really smart and knew all things had a cause in nature, but there was one last thing you were not sure about. Would you still hold out that maybe this could disprove the existence of the uncreated Creator?

When did Zeus fall off? When we figured out what makes thunder we didn't need a thunder God anymore.
    Thunder in ancient Greece had a cause back then as it does now. They only mistake they made was attributing the thunder to a false god. The Creator of the heavens and the rain is uncreated whereas Zeus was not.

My point is: Using the LACK of knowege to prove something, is stupid at best. Don't use ignorance to prove a deity.
    There is not a lack of knowledge. We have examined all possibilities, thus we are left with only one possibility. Jesus raised himself from the dead. And the trillions of causes and effects in nature point to the necessity of uncreated creating. Think about that.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth" (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of Sherlock Homes).

DD2014 Guest

If I told you that me and 11 friends all witnessed my other friend turn into a bird and fly away. Would you belive me?

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

No, since it is naturalistically impossible.

Thread Information