Thread: Why Calvinists Believe in Perseverance of the Saints not Preservation of the Saints?

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Default Why Calvinists Believe in Perseverance of the Saints not Preservation of the Saints?

For a Calvinist, performance plays a large part in helping him to know whether or not he is among that select group. Sure, a Calvinist might say as Coppes insists that "God's answer to doubt...the only proper fount of assurance of salvation...of getting to heaven (glorification) is the doctrine of predestination." But how does the Calvinist know he is one of the elect who have been predestined?

Zane C. Hodges points out that "The result of this theology is disastrous. Since according to Puritan belief, the genuineness of a man's faith can only be determined by the life that follows it, assurance of salvation becomes impossible at the moment of conversion." And, one might add, at any time thereafter as well, if one's life ever fails to meet the Biblical standard.

Piper and his staff write, "[W]e must also own up to the fact that our final salvation is made contingent upon the subsequent obedience which comes from faith." Small comfort is my ability to obey! Indeed, the fifth point is called perseverance of the saints, putting the burden on me. No wonder, then, as R. T. Kendall has commented, that "nearly all of the Puritan 'divines' went through great doubt and despair on their deathbeds as they realized their lives did not give perfect evidence that they were elect." This is a salvation by works, thus they were not regenerated.

Arminius, on the other hand, contrary to false label attached to him by his enemies, had perfect assurance. He confidently declared that the believer can "depart out of this life...to appear before the throne of grace, without anxious fear...."

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Default An Endemic Uncertainty of Salvation

Congdon writes, "Absolute assurance of salvation is impossible in Classical Calvinism...[emphasis his]. Understand why: Since works are an inevitable outcome of 'true' salvation, one can only know he or she is saved by the presence of good works. But since no one is perfect...any assurance is at best imperfect as well. Therefore, you may think believed in Jesus Christ, may think you had saving faith, but be sadly mistaken...and because unsaved, be totally blind to the fact you are unsaved...! R. C. Sproul...in an article entitled 'Assurance of Salvation,' writes: 'There are people in this world who are not saved, but who are convinced they are....'

"When our assurance of salvation is based at all on our works, we can never have absolute assurance...! But does Scripture discourage giving objective assurance of salvation? Hardly! On the contrary, the Lord Jesus (John 5.24), Paul (Romans 8.38-39), and John (1 John 5.11-13) have no qualms about offering absolute, objective assurance of salvation. Furthermore, works are never included as a requirement of assurance."

Christ guarantees, "him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (John 6.37). I came to Him by faith in His Word so I can never be lost. My assurance is in His promise and keeping power, not in my efforts or performance. He said, "I give unto them [my sheep] eternal life; and they shall never perish (John 10.28).

What a strange faith it is to be regenerated without faith and have a gospel that offers false hope to the non-elect. This very gospel condemns them. Packer writes, "decreed by his counsel secret to us"-so how can that doctrine give assurance to anyone today? How can anyone know he is among the secretly predestined elect? One of the proofs Otis suggests they "are genuinely saved is that our will preserve to the end of our lives." So you can't know for sure until you are dead?

Why doesn't Sproul rely on Peter's statement? "Thou has the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God" (John 6.68-69)? Sproul said, "being uncomfortable with Jesus is better than any other option! I remembered John 6.68. Peter was also uncomfortable." No he wasn't. "These things have I written unto you that believe in the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life..." (1 John 5.13). Why doesn't Sproul rely on such promises? Because, for a Calvinist, the question is not whether one has believed the gospel but whether one, from eternity past, was predestined by God to be among the elect-and that is an elusive question, as many a Calvinist has discovered to his dismay.

Thread Information