"They offered sacrifices to demons, non-gods, to gods they had not known before, to gods only recently arrived, to gods their ancestors had never feared" (Deut. 32.17).

Spirits will always want to assume God's authority and take His place, it happened to Israel and it is written for us to learn from so we don't repeat their mistakes.

To consult a medium warranted the death penalty. "A man also or a woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones; their blood shall be upon them" (Lev. 20.27).

Channeling is connected with human sacrifices of one's own children on their altars. "He built these altars for all the forces of heaven in both courtyards of the LORD's Temple. And he made his son to pass through the fire, and practised augury, and used enchantments, and dealt with them that had familiar spirits, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of Jehovah, to provoke him to anger" (2 Kings 21.5-6).

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee" (Deut. 18.10-12).

Spiritism is always considered rebellion and idolatry equal to witchcraft. Because none of this led to the true God but is experimentation in the fallen human nature and the spirit realm that we are ill equipped to venture in. God kept man away for his own protection.

"Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God" (Lev. 19.31). "And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people" (Lev. 20.6)

"They met a Jewish sorcerer, a false prophet [and] the sorcerer who interfered and urged the governor to pay no attention to what Saul and Barnabas said. He was trying to turn the governor away from the Christian faith. Then Saul, also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked the sorcerer in the eye and said, And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?" (Acts 13.6,8-10)

"And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee. And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die? And Saul sware to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing. Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul. And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself. And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do" (1 Sam. 28.8-15).

The medium didn't really conjur up the dead prophet Samuel. This character simply just repeated key themes from Samuel's previous private conversations with Saul. There is no mystery in this. As the passage goes on the evil spirit correctly predicts the death of Saul and his two sons. The evil spirits can kill people after they make a prediction about it to convince people in them. Many channelers and trance mediums cite the passage in 1 Sam. 28 that communication with the dead is possible. Even if such an argument could be made, biblical law strictly forbids contacting spiritualist mediums.

"And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits and unto the wizards, that chirp and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? on behalf of the living should they seek unto the dead?" (Is. 8.19)

"By Saul trying to conjur up dead spirits, his actions were costly: "Saul died for his unfaithfulness to the Lord because he did not keep the LORD's word. He even consulted a medium for guidance, but he did not inquire of the LORD, so the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse" (1 Chron. 10.13-14).

Channeling is none other than Spiritism and can lead to becoming demonized or even possessed. Of course the argument would be it doesn't feel like demonic possession, but then if you're being deceived would they want you to know?

"I will write down all these things as a testimony of what the LORD will do. I will entrust it to my disciples, who will pass it down to future generations. Check their predictions against my testimony, says the LORD. If their predictions are different from mine, it is because there is no light or truth in them" (Is. 8.16,20). The Bible tells us how God speaks and when someone speaks contrary to what he has already spoken it is from another spirit.

For example, God who is the Creator states in Is. 45.22: "Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other."

And Is. 46.9: "Remember the former things of old, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me."

This proves they are not hearing from the true God who said he alone is God – there is no other. So this proves this is a false God or fallen spirit communicating.

It is a fact, that both God and Satan (and his demons) can communicate with the human spirit, not just by words but through dreams, visions and altered states of consciousness.

Not all the Channeling has an apparently good taste to it; sometimes the spirits and ascended masters can turn on each other. There is often one fallen angel condemning another. It's humorous to find counterfeits of counterfeits competing among each other for their followers. Man's imaginative fantasy life is being used to keep himself eternally separated from God against God's warning not use it for such fanciful communications.

http://www.letusreason.org/NAMdir.htm