John 6.37-45 (RSV):
All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me; and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, "I am the bread which came down from heaven." They said, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, 'I have come down from heaven'?" Jesus answered them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me.
James White says this is "the clearest exposition" or proof of Calvinism in John 6.37-45:
Literally Jesus says, "No man is able to come to me." These are words of incapacity and they are placed in universal context. All men...lack the ability to come to Christ in and of themselves.... That is Paul's "dead in sin" (Eph. 2.1) and "unable to please God" (Rom. 8.8). It is the Reformed doctrine of total depravity: man's inability [here being] taught by the Lord who knows the hearts of all men....

All men would be left in the hopeless position of "unable to come" unless God acts, and He does by drawing [some but not all] men unto Christ.... No man can "will" to come to Christ outside of the divine drawing.... Reformed scholars assert that the ones who are drawn are the ones who are given by the Father to the Son: i.e., the elect....

It cannot be asserted that...the Father is drawing every single individual human being [or] universalism [everyone is saved] would the result, for all who are drawn are likewise raised up at the last day.
Where in this passage does Jesus mention anything about "total depravity," "incapacity," those who don't want to remain in the flesh are "unable to please God," or a person can't believe because they are "dead in sin"? Only those who truly refuse God [such as Calvinists] are unable to truly please God. Jesus does not say the drawing is limited to the elect or universalism would be the result. Nor does He say that the drawing is irresistible or unconditional. We see no impelling or compelling. There is no explicit or implicit description of the Lord's selective drawing. Such ideas are imposed upon the text because Calvinism requires such stepping over God's boundaries. Satan tries to do no less.

Jesus actually said:
  • All that the Father giveth me [not all He draws] shall come to me;
  • and him that cometh to me [not everyone the Father draws] I will no wise cast out;
  • And this is the Father's will...that of all which he giveth me [not all whom He draws] I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
  • Every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him [not all who are drawn], may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up....
  • No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him [all who come have been drawn-not all who are drawn come] and I will raise him up at the last day [all who will be raised up have been drawn, but not all who have been drawn will be raised up].
Read the entire text again carefully (John 6.35-65). Christ does not say that all whom the Father draws, but all whom He gives to the Son, will come to Him.

The promise is throughout John's gospel "that whosoever believeth in him should not perish.... He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life...he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.... If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink" (John 3.16-17, 36; 7.37).

Christ's statement is clear that not everyone who is drawn, but "everyone which seeth the Son, and believeth on him may have everlasting life..." (John 6.40). In this passage we encounter not Unconditional Election or Irresistible Grace but human responsibility. Calvinists shy away from this every day of their lives, because they refuse to repent and believe in Christ to be regenerated.