Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Morality Save Us?

Blog Entries

Default Can Morality Save Us?

Can Morality Save Us?

Can morality save us? The answer of the world to this question is "Yes"; but the answer of God in the Bible is an emphatic "No!" The power of our salvation is in the hand of God and not according to our idea. For our salvation originates with Him; it is not something we ourselves can arbitrarily decide. On this matter we need to listen to the voice of God. We need to hear what He says and not to imagine that our good works will save us. We must clearly understand that this matter of salvation is determined by God and by Him alone.

How blessed is the man who knows that morality cannot at all save him! Nowadays people usually view the idea of anyone preaching to them about "believing Jesus" as an attempt to persuade them to do good. Yet this very concept of persuasion demonstrates the fact that man can do no good. Even many believers do not fully comprehend that good works cannot save them. They reckon if they try their best to keep the faith, go to church, contribute money to it, and help in its activities—that is to say, if they try their very best to do good—that God will be pleased with them and save them. Yet how ignorant they are of the emptiness of all these things. For in the matter of salvation, these things will not help one whit! (I do not mean to say here that we should not keep the truth and so forth. I only say that we will not be saved by these things.)

It is vain to reason and to argue with human words. Let us instead hear the word of God. Whatever God says about a matter, it is settled.

"We reckon therefore that a man is justified by faith apart from the works of the law" (Rom. 3.28). The phrase "the works of the law" means doing good. Now the law is established by God. It defines what man ought to do. If anyone could keep the law of God, he would be deemed the best person in the world. However, through the writer of this letter to the Romans God is telling us that it is absolutely clear and certain that a man is not justified by the works of the law. What is meant by being justified? It means God will not only forgive a person’s sins but will also reckon that one as righteous. In other words, to be justified is to be saved. What God teaches us here is simply this: that we cannot be justified and saved by doing the works of the law. None of us can therefore trust in his or her good deeds as though such works could save. Hence let us cease from trusting our own good works, confess that we in ourselves are unrecoverable sinners, and accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. And in so doing, we shall be saved.

Let God be praised, for He does not save because people do good. Instead, He saves according to this principle—that "where sin abounded, grace did abound more exceedingly" (Rom. 5.20b). Let me ask, Do you know you are a sinner? Does your conscience accuse you? Have you not in your own heart concluded that a person like you is beyond recovery? Well, do not be deceived into thinking that you can be saved by doing good or by joining a church so as to sing and to pray your way into God’s good graces. Do not try to use human means to remedy your sins. You are a sinner; and no matter how you try to make amends, you are still a sinner. Hence do not trust in your good deeds. Though yours sins may in fact be many, the precious blood of Christ can and will cleanse you. Come to Him now!

Charles H. Spurgeon was a preacher in England greatly used of the Lord. Once he made the statement that if the Lord wanted him to do good in order to be saved he would not like to be a Christian. He explained his statement by illustrating this point as follows: After I had done quite a bit of good, I presented my good to God and then asked if I was good enough to be saved. He, being the God of all good, was naturally dissatisfied with my good. So He would shake His head and say, "Your good is not enough." Sadly I went away, but began trying to do more good. Later, perhaps after several years, 1 again took my good to God and once more asked if this was sufficient for my salvation. But again, He would answer, "Your good is still not enough; you cannot be saved." This could go on indefinitely, with God never being satisfied. In that case, how would I ever know that I might eventually be saved. If God were really to demand of me to do good to be saved, I most likely would have to work until my death and still not be saved because He would still be dissatisfied. How pitiful! For this reason, therefore, I would not like to be a Christian if God required me to do good to get saved. For I might have to do good for a lifetime and still He would not be satisfied. Would not all my efforts be in vain?

But thanks be to God the Father that we are not saved by doing good but by believing in His Son. Even though He is not satisfied with our efforts (for we have no good whatsoever), He nonetheless delights in the good of His Son Jesus. He is fully satisfied with the righteousness which His Son has accomplished on the cross. Although we ourselves cannot do good, we may be saved by believing in God’s Son—by accepting the merit of Jesus’ shed blood on the cross.

Do not let Satan deceive you into thinking that you can be saved by good works. Just as you are not able to build a ladder which can reach to heaven, so you will not be able to obtain God’s salvation by doing good. We are not justified by God through any of our good works but we are "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"; for "if it is by grace, it is no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace" (Rom. 3.24, 11.6). Are not these two Scripture verses clear? We are justified and saved by God not because of works but because of His own grace.

Grace and works are two diametrically opposite principles. "Grace" means that irrespective of man’s good or bad, God is willing to save him. This or that man is not worthy to be saved, yet through the mercy of God he has salvation freely given to him. "Works," on the other hand, is an entirely different matter. "Works" means that the good shall be saved while the bad must perish. In other words, man must do good to save himself; and whoever cannot save himself in this fashion must go to hell. Now we know we are all sinners. Though we may not commit such gross sins as murder or arson, yet our nature is totally corrupted and our thoughts and deeds are full of deceit. We are sinners indeed! How then can we ever be saved by works? Thank and praise God, however, He does not save us by our works, He saves instead by His grace—freely, and unreservedly.

Nowadays, many people have the idea that salvation is not only by the grace of God, it is also by our works: God’s grace plus our works equals salvation: otherwise, we will still be lost. Alas! How the natural man always and forever seeks to get saved by his own efforts. Yet let us recall the words of Romans 11.6: "If it is by grace, it is no more of works [Grace and works cannot co-exist. If it is not grace, it is works; if it is not works, it is grace. Salvation cannot be by both grace and works]: otherwise [and here the writer reverses the argument by in effect saying that if grace and works are joined together, then ... ] grace is no more grace [The immeasurable special favor of God will be spoiled by the filthy rags of human works.]." The works of men not only cannot fulfill the grace of God, such will in addition nullify His grace. Therefore, if you a sinner wish to be saved, do not dream of your works helping you. You instead should humble yourself—acknowledging yourself as a helpless sinner and accepting gratefully the grace of God through faith in the finished work of the cross of His Son. Such wonderful grace is given freely to sinners!

But let us read on further in the word of God. "A man is not justified by the works of the law"—"Not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified"—"For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse"—"Now that no man is justified by the law before God, is evident" (Gal. 2.16; 3. 10,11).

Now I have already observed that the works of the law is the doing of good, and that to be justified by the works of the law means to be saved by works. But what do these Scripture verses from Galatians indicate? Not only can one not be saved by doing good but also he who seeks to be saved by doing good is to be cursed. The Bible tells us explicitly that no man is ever justified before God by the works of the law. Why, then, do you still attempt the impossible? Instead, why not behold and embrace the finished work of Christ? He has already paid the entire price and for your sake was willing to be crucified. He has thus accomplished everything. So that now you need not seek salvation with great anguish. On the contrary, you can now be saved if you simply accept His finished work of salvation for you. Why should you any longer try your own way? Believe on Him, and after having believed, praise Him. For He has loved you so much as to provide you with a full and free salvation.

There are two Scripture verses which explain divine salvation most plainly. Paul, a servant of God, writes to the believers at Ephesus as follows: "By grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no man should glory" (Eph. 2.8,9). We know immediately from this passage that it deals with the subject of salvation since at the beginning are the words, "ye have been saved."

How had those to whom Paul writes been saved? Had it been by doing good? No. Had it been because they were stronger than other people? Again no. How, then, had they been saved? This Bible passage tells us of two things needful in their salvation: the grace of God and the faith of man.

Here is the first element. "By grace have ye been saved." Grace is that which God gives us: He has provided a Savior for us—"Jehovah hath laid on him [Christ] the iniquity of us all" (Is. 53.6b). God caused Christ to die on the cross as our Sin-Bearer. Christ suffered and fully drank the cup of God’s righteous wrath that He might accomplish a perfect salvation for us. How deep is this grace! This grace of God is the foundation of salvation. Here men render no help at all. God alone accomplishes all things for us. And He is now presenting this completed salvation before every sinner, even before you. How then can we be saved? Not by the works of law, nor by self-denial, nor by personal improvement, nor by going to church. It is by seeing the grace of God manifested on Calvary’s cross.

Let us now turn to the other side involved in salvation. "By grace have ye been saved through faith." God indeed gives grace, but we must also believe. For if we do not believe, we will not be saved even though God has given grace. Since the sweeping grace of God has already provided for us a substitutionary salvation on Calvary’s cross, we ought to believe in His provision—even the Lord Jesus—and be saved.

What is meant by faith? Believing means receiving (John 1.12). God has prepared the grace, and we are saved by receiving it. Suppose a person sends a precious gift to you. The gift is obviously yours if you will but receive it. By the same token, God sends you this saving grace of His, which will be immediately yours by your receiving it. I beseech you not to delay anymore. Receive Him now. Stretch out the hand of faith and receive the amazing grace of God.

We may perhaps use an illustration here. Once upon a time there lived a rich man. Observing that many poor people were nearly freezing in the cold, snowy winter, he decided to search out their names and addresses so that he might send his servant to donate coal to them. Accordingly, his servant went forth with a horse and carriage. When he reached the first house, he asked if this were one of the names and addresses included on the list. Being told in the affirmative by the poor man, the servant revealed his master’s will to donate coal. The poor man thought this must be a mistake. He did not have such a benevolent friend, and therefore he closed his door and refused to accept the gift. What could the servant do but to proceed to the second house. There he met with the same treatment, the tenant of the second house likewise intimating that he had no such friend. No matter how the servant explained that this was no mistake, the poor man still doubted and refused to accept the gift. After having visited several houses and failing in them all (for none believed in such a good man who would give them coal free), the servant came to a poor widow’s house. When she learned of the errand of the servant, she gladly accepted the coal and thanked the master for the gift. By means of the coal she received, she was able to pass successfully through the bitter winter.

Do see that the grace of God is like this—it is entirely free. And now that His servants have delivered the salvation of the Lord to the door of your heart, you can experience the warmth and joy of this salvation if you are willing to accept it. Do not be like those doubters; otherwise, you shall suffer self-inflicted eternal loss! Simply receive, and the gift of salvation is yours.

Ephesians 2 teaches us "through faith" as well as "by grace." It further instructs us as to the nature of salvation, which is (1) "not of yourselves, it is the gift of God," and (2) "not of works, that no man should glory." Salvation involves two "nots": "not of yourselves" and "not of works." How clear this is!

Notice first that salvation is not of yourselves. However superior or inferior your morality is, and whether you are wealthy or penniless—none of these has absolutely any effect on salvation. If you are willing to accept the grace of God, you may be saved irrespective of your being wise or foolish, saintly or impious. But then, too, no matter what you are, you will perish if you refuse to accept the Savior. Hence salvation has nothing to do with what you are, it is freely given as a gift by God.

Notice also that salvation is not of works. "Yourselves" has reference to what you are; on the other hand, "works" has reference to what you do. God has not said that by doing good one can be saved; for He says quite plainly here that salvation is not of works. Consequently, you will not be saved even if you do the best in the world, nor will you necessarily perish because you do the worst. Your being saved or perishing does not depend on your works but on whether or not you accept the grace of God. I would say this to you: do not think of your good, consider rather your sins more. Why not come to God with a contrite heart and confess that you are a sinner who has no good of which to boast and no merit on which to depend? Why not simply trust in the grace which God gives you through His Son on the cross? I ask you to come quickly. Even today, at this very moment, kneel and pray—telling God that you now receive the Lord Jesus as your Savior and asking Him to forgive your sins and save you.

Why does God not save man by his works? There may be many reasons, but a very basic one given here is that "no man should glory." Were man to be saved by his works, he no doubt would boast in himself and not give glory to God. The greatest sin in the world is to be independent of God and not to trust Him. This judgment applies also to salvation. Why is it that man would rather be saved by his own works than by accepting the free salvation prepared for him by God? Because of the innate pride of man. How humbling it is to depend on God. It leaves no room for bragging. Man therefore desires to save himself by his works that he himself may boast. But God does not wish man to be saved in this way lest he glorify himself.

Let us read another Scripture verse: "Not by works done in righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy he saved us" (Titus 3.5a). From this passage we learn that God does not save us because of our much accumulated righteousness, for as God has said through His Old Testament prophet Isaiah, "we are all become one that is unclean, and all our righteousnesses are as a polluted garment" (64.6a). We may account our righteousness to be quite worthy of praise, but in the sight of God it is less than nothing! Should He save us according to our righteousness, we would all perish; for without exception, our righteousnesses are like a polluted garment. Can such righteousness ever be reckoned as true righteousness? How can it possibly save us? How can God in the least save us on the basis of such polluted garments? He absolutely cannot.

But thank God, He shows grace to us "according to his mercy." He does not save us because of our righteousness nor by our own works, but in mercy. The meaning of mercy is that grace is given to the undeserving—in spite of one’s wretchedness. As sinners we do not deserve to have the salvation of God. Yet He loves us without cause. Uninhibited by our transgressions, He causes the Lord Jesus to die on the cross for us in order to give grace to us. "According to his mercy he saved us."

Hence do not think you can be saved by doing good. Come quickly to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. He does not demand of you any of your works; He is willing to save you without them. You do not need to accumulate merit; you only need to believe in Him. Though you cannot do good, and though you are most sinful, He was willing to be crucified to atone for your sins—that is to say, to bear your sins of omission as well as commission. Come now, just as you are, and receive Him as your Lord and Savior. He will save you, accept you, and transform you.

Do not argue that you are already a member of a church or that you have already been baptized and have partaken of the Lord’s table or even that you are a leader in the church. Realize and admit that these things do not and can never save you. Unless you believe in the Savior who has borne your sins and died for us all, you are a man of perdition—regardless of your morality or position. You are no different from anybody else. There is nothing to protect a sinner from the wrath of God except the precious blood of the Lord Jesus. Every good attempt will fail; only the work of the cross of Christ will stand. Any way of salvation which depends on the works of self comes from the bottomless pit and will return there. For God has established but one way of salvation: the accepting of His grace through faith in the cross of Christ. In order to be saved, we must follow that way—and that way alone.

In conclusion, let me leave you with one final Scripture verse: "I do not make void the grace of God: for if righteousness is through the law, then Christ died for nought" (Gal. 2.21). If good works were able to save, then Christ died in vain. Would God have been so foolish as to send His Son to the world to die an unnecessary death if men could have worked for their salvation to His satisfaction? The answer is obvious! Permit me to say that if you conclude that works may help you to be saved, you have automatically annulled the grace of God. All who are sinners must realize that "the foolishness of God is wiser than men" (1 Cor. 1.25a). He would never have sacrificed His beloved Son for nothing if men could have been saved by works. The very fact that He caused His Son to bear our sins and die for us proves that we cannot be saved by our own good works. You and I will be saved only if we accept the Lord Jesus as Savior. We are truly sinners, yet God unquestionably loves us! He is most ready to receive us! Though we have neither good nor righteousness to brag about, His salvation is not for that reason diminished; it actually is that much more magnified. How wonderful this is!

I pray you will be moved by God’s love and come to Him in faith, confessing: "O God, I am truly a sinner. I know all my works are totally nothing in Your sight. I ask You to receive me and save me now for the sake of the substitutionary death of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ."

"Him that cometh to me," said Jesus, "I will in no wise cast out" (John 6.37).

jerusalemcouncil Guest

Very well written, except I should mention that "works of the law" is a translator bias, for the Greek only says "works of law" ergon nomos not "works of the law" ergon de nomos. That translators seem to add to the scripture is a pervasive problem when it comes to fine exegesis without the original language text.

For the record "ergon nomos" is a phrase that is tied to a Jewish colloquailism of the day that refers to community participation requirements. Much like, at a Baptist church they may have an unwritten code of dress for the men and and one for the women. "Ergon nomos" then is an identifying marker.

In context, "ergon nomos" or "works of law," is used by Paul to refer to the Jewish conversion ritual of the Pharisees, of which circumcision was just the first step. The other steps were to make an oath to do the Torah, perform a sacrifice, and then get immersed (yes baptism is a Jewish invention that is completely supported from the Torah).

Jewish conversion in Paul's day (as it still is seen today) was seen as a means to salvation for the Gentile, through a faith in Jewish identity, and not through law keeping (although that was the expected result). Ironically enough, the Jews believed in grace - that God had grace on them to make them born Jews, since they believed (and they still believe to this very day) that by being born Jewish one is saved (which Jesus clearly countered that by saying one must be "born again.") Thus for a Gentile to be saved, they reasoned he had to become a physical Jew. Obviously this salvation-by-Jewish-identity-alone is counter to the gospel of salvation-through-faith-in-Messiah-Jesus-alone, and Paul rightly argues this point beautifully in all his letters.

When you realize he was arguing against a false gospel of salvation by Jewish identity, instead of by keeping God's commandments like "love the Lord your God," it will help make a lot of his writings more clear. Since although Christendom has been theologically correct that keeping the Law doesn't save anyone, this unfortunately wasn't even the argument Paul was facing, since no one in his day believed such, and we therefore miss much of what Paul is teaching when we invent a strawman for him to rail against. The reason is because absolutely NO Jew, past, present, or future, ever believed that keeping the law saved anyone! Theirs was a belief in salvation by Jewish identity, not by law keeping. So what then is the law for the Jew according to them? To them, they believed it was the means to maintain their identity as Jews (rightly so), and thus saved (wrongly so, as this is the point Paul is actually arguing against).

So then every time you see the terms "circumcision" or "works of law" in Paul's writings, he's referring to the conversion ritual of the Pharisees that was done to make a Gentile into a Jew for purpose of salvation through Jewish identity alone (or in the case of the believing Pharisees that promoted it for the same reason, they coupled it as a necessary requirement to "secure" one's salvation through Jesus, which too is a bogus claim).

I hope that helps. I look forward to your responses.

Blog Entries

Works of the law in English is more grammatically correct. The ceremonial rituals of the Jewish people were to point to Christ, so that when Christ came they need no longer be performed, e.g. requiring certain foods only, animal sacrifices, keeping the Sabbath and so forth.

No doubt this was a tough transition for Israel which many did not want to accept, but for those who practiced those rituals for the purpose of pointing to Christ, they would not reject their Messiah, nor continue to practice those rituals, because Jesus had come to achieve the works of the law.

The problem was in fact the unsaved Jews who wanted to keep the law also rejected Christ as do Messianic Jews today for another Christ.

EBIONITES - Only for the Jews

BASIC TENETS - You must be a Jew to be a follower of Jesus and accept him as the Jewish Messiah. He wasn't divine at birth, but God valued his righteousness and allowed his sacrifice to redeem humanity's sin.

REQUIREMENTS - Ebionites continued to obey Jewish law. They kept kosher and ritual baths, and men had to be circumcised!

APPEAL - The faith allowed Jesus' early Jewish followers in Palestine to embrace him without making a break from their birth identity.

jerusalemcouncil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful View Post
    The problem was in fact the unsaved Jews who wanted to keep the law also rejected Christ as do Messianic Jews today for another Christ.
    If one wants to keep the law to "Love the LORD your God" - do they reject Christ? Better yet, when a Christians keeps the law to "Love the LORD your God" are they rejecting Christ?

Blog Entries

Yes, you are rejecting Christ because you prefer to remain in your sin nature and not die to the law. You still try to love a god with your own strength, but he is not God of the Bible.

jerusalemcouncil Guest

Yes, you are rejecting Christ because you prefer to remain in your sin nature and not die to the law. You still try to love a god with your own strength, but he is not God of the Bible.

Do you, Faithful, love God?

This isn't a trick question.

Blog Entries

Yes. That's not a trick answer.

jerusalemcouncil Guest

jerusalemcouncil:
    Do you Faithful, love God?

Faithful:
    Yes.

Then you are keeping the commandment to "Love the LORD your God."

Blog Entries

By grace through faith, not in myself trying to keep the law.

What does Paul teach concerning the Sabbath? He maintains that the Sabbath is a thing that has passed away: “having blotted out the bond written in ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us: and he hath taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross . . . Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day: which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ’s” (Col. 2.14,16-17).

You are living in the shadow of things to come when they have already come to show you are unsaved.

“One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that eateth, eateth unto the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, unto the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks” (Rom. 14.5-6).

In the Old Testament time, a person who did not keep the Sabbath day was to be stoned to death. In the New Testament time, the Jews wanted to kill the Lord for His not keeping the Sabbath. They were not able to carry out their plan because miracles through Jesus were definitely being performed. In the days of Paul, the apostle maintained that “every day [was] alike.” You should be put to death if you ever worked on a Saturday at any time in our past. Therefore, you should be dead already according to your faith.

jerusalemcouncil Guest

jeusalemcouncil:
    Then you are keeping the commandment to "Love the LORD your God."

Faithful:
    By grace through faith, not in myself trying to keep the law.
    And it is by grace, through faith, not in myself trying to keep the Sabbath, do I therefore keep the Sabbath, as well as every one of God's commandments that apply to me. :)

What does Paul teach concerning the Sabbath? He maintains that the Sabbath is a thing that has passed away: “having blotted out the bond written in ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us: and he hath taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross . . . Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day: which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ’s” (Col. 2.14,16-17).
    I answered this in another post. (and I am not daft to not figure out I am talking to the same person.) The "bond" is what was nailed, not the written ordinances. And I am not letting you judge me for keeping the Sabbath.

You are living in the shadow of things to come when they have already come to show you are unsaved.
    When the shadows teach me more about Christ, who is living in me as a believer completly trusting in Him alone for salvation, I find your judgment regarding my salvation to be rather futile. That you claim to know Christ but not use the telescope he gives you to see him clearer, I can not help you.

“One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that eateth, eateth unto the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, unto the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks” (Rom. 14.5-6).
    I answered that in another post. According to the context, the days in dispute are weekly fast days - which aren't proscribed in the Torah and thus are totally up for debate.

In the Old Testament time, a person who did not keep the Sabbath day was to be stoned to death. In the New Testament time, the Jews wanted to kill the Lord for His not keeping the Sabbath. They were not able to carry out their plan because miracles through Jesus were definitely being performed. In the days of Paul, the apostle maintained that “every day [was] alike.” You should be put to death if you ever worked on a Saturday at any time in our past. Therefore, you should be dead already according to your faith.
    If I commit viglante justice and stone someone for breaking the Sabbath, I will have broken the Torah's commandment to not put anyone to death without the testimony of two or three qualified witnesses in a court of law. Furthermore, if I was not a witness, I could not be the first to stone. Also if the incident wasn't in the Land of Israel, there is no jurisdiction for such a court to rule the death penalty. Lastly, only if the person was warned repeatedly to stop breaking the Sabbath in the way they were doing it, and they were proven to be flagrantly rebellious to the warnings so as to cause Israel to commit sin, could even the court convene to discuss the matter.

Often objections to keeping the Torah are quite ignorant of the Torah itself which is meant to be taken as a whole, and not piecemeal. Of course, if you have other objections to keeping the Torah, I'd be happy to go through them with you if you're sincerely interested in scriptural answers.

Thread Information