Let me tell you a story. There was a professor at Oxford University who was a Christian, and he had several sons who all studied at the University. In his home they had family worship every day. His fourth son was a "black sheep" who always made excuses not to join in the family worship. He would either leave home before the worship time or he would come back just when it was almost over.

One day he returned home and the family was still praying. It came to his mind to listen to what they prayed. As he listened, his mother was saying: "O God, my fourth son is a prodigal who likes to play and spend money, and does not fear You," etc., etc. When he overheard this, he grew angry and said to himself, "Why did mother not pray for her first three sons but prayed only for me the fourth? I cannot live in such a home." He immediately ran upstairs to his room, collected his things, took some of his father’s money, and left a note for his parents which said: "I am not fit to be your son, and I am not willing to be your son. I now go away. Good-bye." Thus did he leave home.

First, he stayed in a big hotel; and when his money dwindled, he moved to a friend’s home. But his friend told him, "You may stay in my house, but not for too long. Though I am your schoolmate, your father is my professor. It will not be good if he learns about it." Under these circumstances, he soon had to leave his friend’s home and move to a small hotel where he stayed until his money was completely gone. When he became hungry and cold and was without shelter, he thought of returning home. But he was too ashamed to return during the daytime; and hence he waited till after midnight.

He ran home, thinking of climbing in through the window. Yet every window was firmly locked. Out of desperation, he tried the front door. As he pushed it, the door easily opened, for it was not latched. He thought he was very lucky. He cautiously slipped forward to his bedroom where to his surprise, as he pushed open the door, he found his father sitting in a chair facing the door. He was so frozen that instantly he blurted out: "How careless this home is! Even the front door is not closed!" At this word, his father removed his spectacles and took hold of his son’s hand and said: "My son, since the day you left home until now, for over a year, the front door has not been latched." Surely this expressed that father’s heart. Not only for a month, not only for half a year had the door been left unlocked, but the door had never once been latched since that day well over a year before when that father’s fourth son had gone away from home! Such was the demonstration of that father’s loving heart!

How often we reflect upon ourselves by thinking, "I am a sinner; would God ever want me?" But let me tell you the good news that He has never ever shut the door. And thus there is absolutely no problem on God’s side; all the problem is on your side. If today a sinner is willing to come to God, saying, "I am a sinner, I have misunderstood You, but I know You are willing to accept me today," that one will be saved.

The Lord Jesus once spoke a parable about a son who had taken from his father all which was his and had gone off to a far country, spent everything he had, and finally decided to return to his home. But while this prodigal son was still quite a distance from home, his father saw him, and, moved with compassion, ran and fell on his neck, and kissed him (see Luke 15.11-32). This too reveals God’s heart. I declare to you today that God calls you to return home, for the Lord Jesus has already died for you and the Holy Spirit has also come.

No one need go to hell. You instead need to recall that God is love. You will be saved if today you are willing to say to Him: "O God, I am a sinner, I am willing to come to You, for I want Your salvation." And if this indeed happens, you as well as He will have great rejoicing.

For God is love.