Thread: Marijuana = Sinful?

Faith+1 Guest

Default Marijuana = Sinful?

First of all, let me just apologize if this is the incorrect board to ask this question on.

My name is Jason, I'm 17, and I live in Ohio. My parents are not Christians, and I do not have any siblings. I live in a small town, and there are not many Christians there. There is one Youth Group, but after attending several meetings I failed to become friends with any of the other kids my own age. As a result, I tend to hang out with my non-Christian friends. They are good people still, and rarely do I feel my spirituality becomes an issue when I am with them. Lately, however, I have begun to wonder.

One of my friends began to smoke marijuana, and soon, most of them were. I also said no when they offered me some, and they let it rest respecting my beliefs. I always had a good time when they smoked, anyway. They were always so happy and always laughed when they were high and we all had a good time.

Let me point out that while none of them are very religious, they are still good people. They may smoke pot every so often, but they commit no other crimes. As odd as it sounds they are all on the Honor Roll at school, too, and are considered upstanding young men and women by everyone. I take pride to be in their company.

About two months ago, I let my curiosity get the best of me, and I smoked some with them. I had an amazing time. They knew it was my first time getting high, so they wanted to show me a good time. We went out into the woods and smoked, then took a hike. It was an incredible experience. It was if I was seeing the world from a completely different perspective, and I noticed details in nature that I had never noticed before. I had been to those woods many times, but it was like I was seeing it all again for the first time. I felt a connection to the world, and as a result I began to feel closer to God.

I now smoke quite a bit, and I feel that it has made me grow closer to the world around me and to God as well. I go on about my life as normal, and the smoking has never gotten me into trouble or even made me late for an appointment.

My friends sometimes ask me why I do drugs if I'm a Christian, and I say that marijuana is from the ground, and natural. God had a reason to put it on this Earth.

I just wonder what other Christians might think of this subject, as I can not openly ask any I know personally. I was wondering if there was a stance on this issue.

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Jesus was not religious either. However, do realize your friends are religious, for is not their religion that of antichrist? What is the nature of this religion? It is to not speak of Christ and carry on as though salvation is not needed. How is that good people? Good works and good people don't get you saved. You know that. By the world's standards they are good people, but we have come out of the world. That is what baptism is: being buried with Christ and coming out of the world. Now, we are sojourners, temporarily residing in a place that is on the road to nuclear holocaust. Are you shocked I said that?

Revelation 9.18: "By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths."

What are these three? "...fire and smoke and burning.." (v.17)

On marijuana, I don't judge people about taking it, but I think if you do it all the time then for sure you are sinning.

And yes, this post does not belong in the overcomers section, for you don't need an external agent to overcome in Christ as though you are using it to replace dependency on the Holy Spirit in your spirit. Marijuana and mushrooms never did anything for me. And perhaps looking back upon your experience years from now that will be your same conclusion.

Furthermore, get some Christian friends or at least develop some distance from your non-Christian so-called friends, otherwise, how are you a living testimony for the Lord? If you had the Holy Spirit in your spirit you would be drawn to Christians and not non-Christians. It's embarrassing to the body of Christ to see brothers and sisters more attracted to their non-Christian friends. How does that help build the body of Christ? Don't let Satan win out in this regard.

As the Bible says we shall know them by their fruit. If you don't feel in your inner person the desire to be with Christians instead of non-Christians then you should question your status before our Lord and Savior. Even as foolish as brothers and sisters in Christ are at times, I would still rather be with them because I will be with them for eternity than be with those who are unsaved and who likely will never be saved.

warriordisciple Guest

I must agree that this is not from the Lord. It is not biblical to grow closer to Him through a chemical or plant. The feeling you are getting, as good as it may seem, is deceiving you. God gives us alot of good things, but remember that temptation wouldn't tempt us unless a part of us liked it. The worst lies are the ones that the enemy gives us that make us think we are growing closer to the Lord and instead lead us into false truths. This is the common thread of many cults, they all play on your sensations as well as mixing truth with lies all the time making you think you are becoming more spiritual. The marijuana is making you "feel" good which in turn you think you are growing closer to God. This is not true and is a lie. It is playing on your flesh: "feelings." God is God whether people feel Him or not. His Word is true whether people like it or feel good about it or not. Truth is truth whether people feel it or not. Yes God can and will make us feel good, but everything that makes us feel good is not from Him. And 9 out of 10 times when God makes us feel good there is no material things involved at all. As far as your friends go, yes be friends with them, love them, but what should be happening is the opposite of what is happening. Your Christian views and life should be affecting them and not the other way around.

13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
    14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. - Mathew 5:13-16

Passage Proverbs 13:20:

20 He who walks with the wise grows wise,
    but a companion of fools suffers harm.

Psalm 1

BOOK I : Psalms 1-41

1 Blessed is the man
    who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
    or stand in the way of sinners
    or sit in the seat of mockers.
    2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
    and on his law he meditates day and night.
    3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
    and whose leaf does not wither.
    Whatever he does prospers.
    4 Not so the wicked!
    They are like chaff
    that the wind blows away.
    5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked will perish.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Ephesians 5:18-20:
    18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
    19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
    20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
    11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. - 1 Peter 2:11

Test the Spirits

1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. 4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.
    1 John 4:1-6

14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.- 2 Cor. 11:14

I know that this is rather long, but please pray dear brother about these and other Scriptures. Just seek the Lords will about friends and friendship and He will show you. Please go before Him with a clean heart and allow His Holy Spirit to guide you into truth and holiness. And lastly: have hope. I am an addict freed by the power of Christ. I know just how decieving it all is. But praise God because He is more powerful than any lie and He is much better and He does not run out or fade away as does every other high. Nor do we buy Him but instead He bought us.

Passage 2 Samuel 22:32-33:

32 For who is God except the Lord?
    Who but our God is a solid rock?
    33 God is my strong fortress,
    and he makes my way perfect.

1 I love you, O LORD, my strength.
    2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
    my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
    He is my shield and the horn [a] of my salvation, my stronghold.
    -Psalm 18:1-2

Passage Philippians 4:13:

13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Well I know this is long but I hope it helps brother. It is long, but at the same time the best advice is Gods Holy Word and the only solid truth is what He says. Praise God and always humble yourself before Him and seek His will and He will never ever guide you wrong. He will lead you into all truth. Peace be with you.

Corbs Guest

through out my whole life i have been agaisnt smoking marijuana. i thought it was a bad and dangerous drug. until about 6 months ago i started smoking and to be honest. i do not think its all that bad. in fact i think alcohol is worse than marijuana and should switch places on bein legal/illegal. it is a natural and safe plant. u do not add anything to it. it is even part of some religions. so my respone to you faith+1 if it makes you happy and u feel close then keep on doin it. just dont let it consume you and lead u to other drugs

masta100 Guest

From my experience I can say that smoking marijuana everyday once in my life, made me realize that it was hindering me from getting closer to God. This was one decision I made to stop smoking once I got to know God. Your conscious will tell you so. Marijuana may not seem all that bad but it causes you to be lazy, careless, anxious and lots of other negative reactions.

One question that I ask is.....Why did God create marijuana??? Just curious.

Thread Information