The Gospel of John Reveals Jesus is God

"John pointed him out to the people. He shouted to the crowds, "This is the one I was talking about when I said, `Someone is coming who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before I did'." (John 1.15). Only God existed long before. "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist" (Col. 1.17). "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth" (Psalms 33.6). The Word was the agent of creation.

"No one has ever seen God. But his only Son, who is himself God, is near to the Father's heart; he has told us about him" (John 1.18). Did John lie?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1.1). "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth" (v.14 KJV). "So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father (v.14 NLT). Jesus is the Word, who is God.

Jesus made Himself equal with God: "This was why the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the sabbath but also called God his Father, making himself equal with God" (John 5.18). And, "that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him" (v.23). Jesus does not leave us the option to believe in God while ignoring the Son. The Pharisees said they believed in God the Father, but they rejected Jesus, so how can they truly accept the Father if they reject the Son?

Jesus claimed to be God by saying He could give eternal life: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life" (John 5.24). Jesus said He was God by saying He was the source of life: "For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself" (v.26) and "yet you refuse to come to me so that I can give you this eternal life" (v.40). Only God can judge sin as Jesus judges: "and has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of man" (v.27). Who are the witnesses of Jesus being God in chapter five: "John the Baptist" (v.33), "greater witness than John - my teachings and miracles" (v.36), "the Father himself has also testified" (v.37), "you search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me" (v.39), and "do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"" (v.45-47). Moses pointed to Jesus in Gen. 3.15; Num. 21.9, 24.17; Deut. 18.15.