Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

The word "sword" here bears the meaning as that mentioned in Luke 2, "a sword shall pierce thine own soul" (v.35). This points especially to the realm of emotions.

"Peace" means reconciliation or harmony. Since men are at variance with God, they will naturally be at odds with God's children. The Lord comes to give each believer a sword of suffering.

Mat 10:35ff For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Here is set forth a love which demands more than loving his father and mother. This reveals to us how impossible it is for us to live peacefully on earth with those who oppose Christ. Should it be otherwise, there must be something between us and the Lord.

Mat 10:36 And a man's foes [shall be] they of his own household.

The reason for such emnity lies in the fact of their making Christ their enemy. How jealousy produces animosity. None can love both. He who is loved as well will become jealous. Loving the Lord arouses jealousy in the household.

Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Receiving too much satisfaction from men blinds our eyes to seeing the preciousness which the Lord gives. Being too close to men takes away the sense of the preciousness of the nearness of the Lord.

"Worthy" - we must consider how much He is worthy of our service first. Is the Lord worthy of our love by reading His Word, speaking for Him, not just in conduct.