Thread: Women Apostles and Elders

Church of
    Sherwood Park
    Blog Entries

Smile Women Apostles and Elders

Women Apostles

Women can be apostles, prophets, evangelists, sheperds (pastors, teachers), elders (bishops), and deacons.

Today people call apostles missionaries, which is Apostolos in Latin, but they are really apostles.

Romans 16.7 speaks of two notable apostles, Andronicus and Junia, and good authorities agree that "Junia" is a woman's name. So here we have a sister as an apostle and a notable apostle at that. "Salute Andronicus and Junias [some manuscripts say "Julia"], my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me" (16.7). These apostles were doing the Work of the Ministry even before Paul started. Male-centered systems will try to teach these apostles are not apostles, rejecting God's commissioning and authority, because they prefer a male-centric and egotistical system which is abusive towards women. God's Word would never be so unclear as to confuse "note among the apostles" could be taken to mean they are merely respected by the apostles. No! They are "among the apostles" because they are apostles. Who is the author of confusion?
    This same word for Junia is given in the KJV, "Salute Philologus, and Julia" (v.15). Julia means "soft haired". The KJV Concordance says a "Christian woman" and Thayer's Lexicon says "a women's name...and the name occurs again in Rom. 16.15".

Women need to realize, though humbly, they are fallen in a different way than man. Eve ate of the fruit with a darkened mind (that is, doubting God), while man ate of the fruit for the affection of Eve, knowingly sinning. Both are sinning, but in comparing the fall of men and women, Paul says,

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor" (1 Tim. 2.12-14). This is a call to be humble in light of what has occurred in the fall. This does not disallow women from teaching, but is an expression of how careful women need to be when they teach and do the Work of the Ministry or as elders or deacons.

"The Lord giveth the word: The women that publish the tidings are a great host" (Psalm 68.11).

"Anna, a prophet, was also there in the Temple" (Luke 2.36).

"Our sister Phoebe, a deacon in the church in Cenchrea, will be coming to see you soon. Receive her in the Lord, as one who is worthy of high honor. Help her in every way you can, for she has helped many in their needs, including me. Greet Priscilla and Aquila. They have been co-workers in my ministry for Christ Jesus." (Rom. 16.1-3). To help another includes in any capacity, including teaching.

Those in the Ministry are apostles, prophets, evangelists, and teachers (Eph. 4.11).

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:" (Joel 2.28).

This verse speaks both of women and men, and then speaks of men. The Bible uses this technique in speaking like when God revealed, "God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Gen. 1.27).

The reason the Bible speaks in the male pronoun is because it would be redundant to keep saying "man and woman" or "all men and women" everywhere.

Ruah Brit Guest

Paul also said, Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek,There is neither slave nor free There is neither Male nor Female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus". If God gives a woman the power of His Spirit bearing witness of her, I wouldn't question her except to learn.

Ruah Brit

Thread Information