How to Overcome the Tempter

"He that overcometh shall inherit these things" (Rev. 21.7).

1. We ought to know that it is not we who fight the Devil but it is God who does. The Devil is in the supernatural realm, whereas we dwell in the natural world. Our warfare is not against flesh and blood, but against the world-rulers of this darkness. So that for the ones who live in the natural world to fight against the spiritual forces in the supernatural realm, their defeat is certain. Hence, in our battle we ask God to fight for us by taking God’s almighty power as our own power. In each conflict we confess this to be God’s battle. All we do is to exercise our will to choose the victory of God over the gain of Satan. By attacking Satan with the supernatural almighty power of God; our victory over him is certain: "the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly" (Rom. 16.20). Satan is under the feet of the Lord Jesus. Since we are united with the Lord, Satan is under our feet as well. It is not we who are able to bruise Satan under our feet; only the God of peace can put Satan there.

2. Let us always put ourselves under the precious blood of Jesus lest we be condemned. What the Devil fears most is the blood of Christ. Through the shedding of His blood Jesus breaks the head of the Devil (the real meaning of "bruise" in Genesis 3.15 is "break"). As the saints rely on the precious blood of the Lord and assume the attitude of Romans 6.11, Satan is defeated. "They [the brethren] overcame him [Satan] because of the blood of the Lamb" (Rev. 12.11). Our victory comes from the blood of Christ. The reason why believers are frequently attacked and accused by the Enemy is because they give ground to him through sinning. The basis of the Enemy’s attack is sin. We thus need to assume the attitude that sin shall not have dominion over us. Even so, this will not prevent the Enemy from accusing and then attacking us, because we sometimes give ground unknowingly. Therefore, we must continuously put ourselves under the precious blood lest we be attacked. True, there may indeed be sin; nevertheless, the precious blood has already redeemed! Thank the Lord, for the blood of Christ not only saves us but also gives us eternal victory in our Christian life.

3. We shall overcome if we are transformed by the word of God: "The word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the evil one" (1 John 2.14). The word of God is the word of the Scriptures. Having stored God’s word in our heart, we will, in time of emergency, be reminded by the Holy Spirit of the word in one verse or several verses which can become our present refuge. It is as if we are hiding there, and in trusting the power of God’s word we find the Enemy rendered powerless. The Scripture word which the Holy Spirit reminds us of increases our strength and courage, because every word of God is full of power: it is living and effective. We therefore ought to keep God’s word fully in our heart—thus preventing Satan from any gain and defeating him completely.

4. Resist the Devil with our will. There is a will in us which is like our helm. If we use our will, saying to the Devil, "I do not permit you to enter into my heart, I will not give this right to you," then he will draw back from us. Do you acknowledge that this is the state and condition of your will? Otherwise, the reverse will be the result. We should obey God on the one hand and resist the Devil on the other. So shall the Enemy flee from us (see James 4.7). For example, if a peddler comes and you will not buy, he will naturally leave you after being resisted. But if you bargain with him for a lower price, you will soon buy this merchandise. Today many Christians lack the will of total resistance towards the Devil. And in thus bargaining with him, they fall into the trap of the Enemy. Resist the Devil with faith (1 Peter 5.8,9). In the power of God, say to Satan, "In the almighty name of the victorious Lord Jesus, I resist you." By assuming this attitude of faith and having resisted, we will find God causing Satan to flee according to His word. Praise God, Satan has fled, and you are more than conquerors through the Lord who loved us. When Satan came to tempt the Lord, our Lord gave no ground to him but immediately resisted and rebuked him (Matt. 16.23). We should be alert towards the Devil and firm in our word of resistance.

5. Ask God and do not reason with the Devil. "Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil ... said, The Lord rebuke thee" (Jude 9). Many believers do not ask God to rebuke Satan as soon as the latter moves; they instead listen to him and reason with his plot. In such a circumstance as that, they can hardly resist. It is important, therefore, that we ask God to rebuke Satan as soon as he begins speaking so as to prevent him from even finishing his speech. We believe God will immediately rebuke him, and he will trouble us no more. A certain believer once said, "According to my opinion, I will allow Satan to finish what he wants to say, and then I will know how to answer him." This is wrong! We must not answer the Devil; we must not let him converse with us. Otherwise, we shall be like Eve who listened to the word of Satan and even answered him, thus causing enormous distresses and evils to follow. Do not be afraid of losing friendship with Satan. Do not be afraid to be too hard on him. When he comes, ask the Lord to rebuke him. This assures us of our constant victory in the Lord.

6. Do not give ground to the Enemy even in small things. We usually are careful in big things so that Satan cannot succeed in his devices: but in small things we tend to be careless, and hence we suffer defeats. Because of a thought or a word, we fall into the snares of the Devil. But if we can be faithful in small things, we will be faithful in big things. Always be watchful lest we "give place to the devil" (Eph. 4.27), but instead "give no occasion to the adversary" (1 Tim. 5.14); for without a factory the Devil is unable to manufacture any sin. If, though, we give place in our heart to the Enemy, and even though it be a tiny parcel of ground, the Devil will produce sin. We should never be negligent in the small matters of our lives. Let us realize that the Devil can, and will, penetrate the whole body through such small matters. But what are the occasions given to the Devil? These are (1) our unrighteousness, (2) our sin, and (3) our fear of him (that is to say, we do not have an active will to resist him, but are afraid of provoking his wrath by resisting). These grounds must be eliminated, or else the Enemy will never leave. I recall a story which can help to illustrate this matter. A certain traveler had set up a tent in the desert. A donkey asked the man for permission to thrust its head into the tent because it was cold outside. After a while, it asked to put its neck into the tent; later, it also asked to be allowed to place its two legs inside; and before long, its entire body was inside the tent! But now there was not room for both. And since the traveler could not drive the donkey away, he himself had to go outside the tent and allow the animal to stay in the tent! If believers today are complacent in small things, a little leaven will leaven the whole lump. The Devil will advance ten feet if he is given but one inch. Let us totally destroy his factory in us by the power of the Lord.

7. Preserve a heart of love: "to whom ye forgive anything, I forgive also . . . that no advantage may be gained over us by Satan" (2 Cor. 2.10,11). An unloving and unforgiving heart usually gives place to the Devil. An unforgiving spirit opens the door to the works of Satan. If believers know more concerning the things in the spiritual realm, they will not be unloving and unforgiving. For should the adversities and persecutions which we suffer appear to come from men, we nonetheless discern the fact that behind every misunderstanding, every cutting word or every distress lie the evil spirits. Our warfare is not against flesh and blood, but against the evil spirits. Whatever happens, we need to ask the Lord to rebuke Satan and destroy his work. Loving and forgiving enable us to be more than conquerors.

8. Be especially careful of our speech: "let your speech be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: and whatsoever is more than these is of the evil one" (Matt. 5.37). The Devil does not like Yea, yea and Nay, nay; he loves yea as nay and nay as yea. I once heard a zealous believer say, "It seems that I cannot control my mind. Sometimes I unconsciously take yea as nay, and nay as yea. Though I will to overcome this, I just cannot." Before anyone ever believed in the Lord his mind had been blinded by the Devil (2 Cor. 4.4). But then after he is saved the Holy Spirit enters into his spirit and enlightens him so that gradually all the coverings in his mind are being removed (for no one can understand all the truth immediately after believing). By consecration and obedience to the Holy Spirit his mind is being renewed (see Rom.12.2). Having put off the old man, the spirit of his mind is renewed (Eph. 4.22-23). Then he is able to say what he wants to say, which is, to say Yea, yea and Nay, nay. Though believers may have a beautiful life, their mind may still be disturbed by unclean and disobedient thoughts. This is because the evil spirits send these evil thoughts into the believer’s mind and try to lodge there. Sometimes they may dull the mind and paralyze it so that the believer will confuse yea and nay. Such spiritual disease can be overcome through prayer and the help of the Holy Spirit. Remember that "if any stumbleth not in word, the same is a perfect man" (James 3.2).

9. Be watchful in dealing with others: "looking to thyself, lest thou also be tempted" (Gal. 6.1). It is comparatively easier to restore a person to righteousness than to restore him from perverse thoughts, words or deeds. Oftentimes in helping others the believer himself may be tempted. Hence a worker needs to be always on the alert to discover the wiles of Satan. There is no day we can say we are completely out of danger.

10. Always acknowledge that the Enemy is under our control: "Behold, I have given you authority . . . over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall in any wise hurt you" (Luke 10.19). What the Enemy has is "power"; but what we have is "authority." In spite of the fact that our personal "power" is not as great as his, the "authority" we receive from the Lord causes him to be subject to us. We have no need to struggle over power; all we need to do is to command with "authority." Surprising as it may seem, "power" is no match for "authority." Therefore, let us first obtain this authority through union with Christ’s death, and then moment by moment let us use this authority by faith to overcome and to subdue all the powers of darkness. Thus shall we have victory over whatever circumstances come our way.