• Salvation, Overcomer's Life RSS Feed

by Published on 12-07-2010 06:51 AM     Number of Views: 6500 
    1. Categories:
    2. Spiritual Warfare

A Mind under the Attack of the Evil Spirits

One fact which we must always bear in mind is: man possesses free will. God’s intention is for man to control himself. Man has the authority to regulate his every natural endowment; hence his mental processes should be subject to the I power of his will. A Christian ought to inquire of himself: Are these my thoughts? Is it I who am thinking? If it is not I thinking, it must then be the evil spirit who is able to work in man’s mind. Since I will not to think (and my mind usually follows my will) then the thoughts which presently arise in my head cannot be mine but rather are those which emanate from another “person” who uses the ability of my mind against my own will. The person should know that in case he has not intended to think and yet there are thoughts arising in his head, he must conclude that these are not of him but of the evil spirit.

To determine whether an idea is of himself or of the wicked spirit, a Christian should observe how it arose. If in the beginning his mental faculty is peaceful and composed and is functioning normally and naturally according to the circumstances he is in, but suddenly a thought or a complete idea (having no bearing on his present circumstances or the work in which he is engaged) flashes across his brain, such inordinate and lightning quick thought is most likely the action of evil spirits. They are attempting to inject their thoughts into the believer’s head and thus induce him to accept them as his own. It is unmistakable that the notion which the evil spirits introduce into man’s mind is a matter he has not thought about at the moment and which does not follow the trend of his thinking. It is entirely “new”—something he never thought of himself. It has arisen abruptly and all by itself. When one gains this kind of thought it is well for him to inquire: Do I really think in this manner? Is it really I who am thinking? Do I want to think that way? Or is this something which simply becomes activated in my mind all by itself? The child of God should determine whether or not it is he himself who does the thinking. If he has not originated the idea but on the contrary opposses it, and yet it abides in his head, he then can assume that that idea issues from the enemy. Each thought which man chooses not to think and each one which opposes man’s will come not from the man but from the outside.

Oftentimes also one’s brain is abounding with sundry ideas which he is helpless to stop. His head is like a thought machine, operated by external force; it continues to think but is impotent to desist. The believer may shake his head repeatedly, yet he cannot shake off the thoughts in his mind. They come to him in waves, rolling unceasingly day and night. There is no way to terminate them. He is not aware that this is but the activity of the evil spirit. He ought to understand what a “thought” is. It is something ...
    by Published on 12-06-2010 03:36 AM     Number of Views: 1453 
    1. Categories:
    2. Spiritual Warfare

The mind of man is his organ of thought. Through it he is equipped to know, think, imagine, remember, and understand. Man’s intellect, reasoning, wisdom and cleverness all pertain to the mind. Broadly speaking the mind is the brain. Mind is a psychological term whereas brain is a physiological term. The mind of psychology is the brain of physiology. Man’s mind occupies a large place in his life because his thought easily influences his action.

Before Regeneration

According to the Bible the mind of man is unusual in that it constitutes a battlefield where Satan and his evil spirits contend against the truth and hence against the believer. We may illustrate as follows. Man’s will and spirit are like a citadel which the evil spirits crave to capture. The open field where the battle is waged for the seizure of the citadel is man’s mind. Note how Paul the Apostle describes it: “though we live in the world we are not carrying on a worldly war, for the weapons of our warfare are not worldly but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle to the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ” (2 Cor. 10.3-5). He initially tells us of a battle—then where the battle is fought—and finally for what objective. This struggle pertains exclusively to man’s mind. The Apostle likens man’s arguments or reasonings to an enemy’s strongholds. He pictures the mind as held by the enemy; it must therefore be broken into by waging war. He concludes that many rebellious thoughts are housed in these strongholds and need to be taken captive to the obedience of Christ. All this plainly shows us that the mind of man is the scene of battle where the evil spirits clash with God.

Scripture explains that before regeneration “the god of this world (had) blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the likeness of God” (2 Cor. 4.4). This verse concurs in what the other verse just quoted said by declaring here that Satan holds on to man’s mind by making it blind. Some people perhaps may consider themselves extremely wise in their ability to advance many arguments against the gospel; others may take for granted that unbelief is due to dullness of understanding; but the truth in both cases is that the eyes of man’s mind have been covered by Satan. When firmly held by Satan the mind of man becomes “hardened”; man “follows the desires of body and mind (as) children of wrath” and so “is estranged and hostile in mind” because “the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God” (2 Cor. 3.14; Eph. 2.3; Col. 1.21; Rom. 8.7).

Upon reading these various passages we can see clearly how the powers of darkness are especially related to man’s mind, how it is peculiarly susceptible to Satan’s assault. With respect to man’s will, emotion and body, the powers ...
    by Published on 12-03-2010 08:17 AM     Number of Views: 1799 
    1. Categories:
    2. Spiritual Warfare

In Battling the Enemy

Those who live by feeling are even more worthless in spiritual warfare, because to battle the enemy in prayer is truly a self-denying work. What incalculable suffering is involved! Nothing for satisfying one’s self can be found here; it is pouring out one’s all for the body of Christ and the kingdom of God. How unbearable must be this resisting and wrestling in the spirit! What pleasure is there for the spirit to be laden with indescribable burden for the sake of God? Is it interesting to attack the evil spirit with every ounce of strength one can summon? This is a prayer warfare. But for whom is the believer praying? Not for himself surely, but for the work of God. Such prayer is for warfare which is thoroughly lacking in interest one usually encounters during ordinary prayer. Is there anything in this that can make him feel comfortable when he must travail in his soul and pray to destroy and to build? No element in spiritual warfare can gladden the flesh—unless of course one is contending merely in his imagination.

An emotional Christian is easily defeated in conflict with Satan. While he is praying to assault the enemy the latter by his evil spirit will attack his emotion. He will set the Christian to feeling that such contesting is painful and such prayer is lifeless. So as he becomes sorrowful, insipid, dark and dry, he immediately stops fighting. An emotional Christian is powerless to war against Satan, for as soon as his feeling comes under attack by Satan he quits the field of battle. If one’s emotion has not experienced death, he may provide opportunity to Satan to strike at any hour. Each time he rises to oppose the enemy he is defeated by a satanic touch upon his feeling. Can anyone expect victory over Satan unless he has first overcome his life of sensation?

Spiritual warfare accordingly demands an attitude of total death to feeling and an absolute trust in God. Only a person with this attitude can bear up alone and not seek companions or man’s approval in fighting the enemy. Only this caliber of Christian can proceed under all sorts of anguished feelings. He cares not at all for his life nor about death but only cares for the leading of God. He indulges no personal interest, desire or longing. He has offered himself to death already and then lives exclusively for God. He neither blames nor misunderstands Him because he considers all His ways to be loving. This is the class of person who is able to fill the breach. Though he may appear to be deserted by God and forgotten by men, yet he mans his battle station. He is a prayer warrior. He overcomes Satan. ...
    by Published on 11-15-2010 04:36 AM     Number of Views: 2260 
    1. Categories:
    2. Regeneration

Many Atheists, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists will say that if Jesus showed Himself before their very eyes and convinced them or performed some miracle that they would accept He is God, died on the cross for the sins of the world and was resurrected the third day.

I really doubt that. My question is, how do you know this Jesus is the same Jesus of two thousand years ago? Does not the evidence of 2000 years ago stand on its own to prove Jesus is God? And if Jesus were to return personally to you right now then how could that be Jesus since the Jesus proven 2000 years ago is the one who said when He returns we will all know it.

"For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (Matt. 24.27).

"Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him..." (Rev. 1.7).

"Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven" (Acts 1.11).

"And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south" (Zech. 14.4).

So let me get this right, you want Jesus to perform a parlor trick just for you? Isn't that selfish? What you are telling me is if a Jesus displays himself before you and does adequate enough tricks according to your selfish wants, you will accept him as the Jesus of 2000 years ago?

Isn't that contradictory? You're claiming you will accept the historical Jesus based on a false Jesus that presents himself to you today? That's crazy. So illogical! Do you really think you are being intellectually honest with yourself?

The reason Jesus is not here now is because you killed him, or people like you you killed, so you don't want Him here, otherwise you would not have killed Him.

So He will return when we really need Him like the first nation He presented Himself to was Israel who were enslaved for 400 years. They had an ear to hear then when no one else would.

The Tribulation will shortly come to pass, only then will Jesus return in Person.

See, that's how it works! That's reality.

In my experience trying to talk logically to an atheist or believer in any other religion is futile, because they have already made up their mind. What you have to do to convince someone to believe in Christ is draw them to the Person indwelling in you by the Holy Spirit.

The only way to show someone saving grace is to show them that it is no longer ...
    by Published on 11-04-2010 12:17 PM     Number of Views: 2612 
    1. Categories:
    2. Regeneration

“They shall never perish,” says the Lord (John 10.28). Eternity exists before the creation of the heavens and the earth, and it extends beyond the events of the book of Revelation. In between these two is the temporary period which can also be called time. Between creation and the events of the book of Revelation Christians may receive punishment during this period.

In 2 Corinthians 5 we read: “we must all be made manifest before the judgment-seat of Christ; that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (v.10). Some will receive bad recompense. If this is not punishment, what is it?

Likewise, Luke 12 states: “And that servant, who knew his lord’s will, and made not ready, nor did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes; but he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And to whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required: and to whom they commit much, of him will they ask the more” (vv.47-48). The beating is both b efore and after the judgment seat. It incurs not only the loss of reward but also the possibility of being beaten.

With regard to the words “suffer loss” in 1 Corinthians 3.15 someone has said that any loss without the inflicting of suffering cannot be reckoned as the suffering of loss. The consequence of “abide not” is to “cast them into the fire” (John 15.6). This without a doubt speaks of punishment. Revelation 2.11 declares: “He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death”; in other words, he who does not overcome will be hurt of the second death. Who shall reign with Christ for a thousand years? The answer: “Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: over these the second death hath no power; but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years” (Rev. 20.6).

According to the original rendering of John 10.28, “they shall never perish” should be translated “in no wise shall they perish for ever”*—in other words, if believers should sin and fail to repent, they will suffer temporarily what the unbelievers will suffer eternally.

*The Englishman’s Greek New Testament with Interlinear Translation ...
    by Published on 01-11-2010 10:11 PM     Number of Views: 2931 
    1. Categories:
    2. Regeneration

Please read this very carefully. It is all very precise. It's helped me greatly. All of this is for your edification, so read carefully. Watchman Nee clarifies all this very well in The Spiritual Man (CFP white cover).

When God breathed in the breath of life, which directly created man's (Adam's) spirit about six thousand years ago, into the body the soul life was formed so man became a living soul with a spirit and a body. Technically man is not a spirit like the angels, but a living soul with a spirit and body.

When man is born-again, very specifically, his old spirit is quickened with God's life (eternal life) by the power of the Holy Spirit; he is given a new spirit of eternal life. So visualize this. Man's spirit which is permanently existing (we are made in God's image which we can never cease to exist) is given a new spirit which is eternal life. God has eternal life. He gives us His uncreated life. His Holy Spirit has eternal life. Now man who is born-again has eternal life. Now that a born-again man has eternal life, the Holy Spirit enters in through the window of his conscience and seats within the intuition of his spirit to commune with Him Spirit with spirit and permanently resides there. The Spirit of the Father and the Son could not have entered man's spirit unless God first created a proper abode for which to enter which is by giving man a new spirit of His uncreated life or eternal life.

So there is the use of the term spirit which is our innermost man; there is the new spirit of eternal life (the word new spirit here connotes uncreated life-God's life); and there is the Holy Spirit (God's life) Who has uncreated life. The best way I know how to describe is to take those Russian Dolls and the small one is your spirit. Put it inside the another doll which gives it eternal life. This eternal life ultimately comes from God because it is God's very life, so place it in another doll (the largest doll represents the Holy Spirit), because God's Holy Spirit comes to indwell that new life. You can reverse the order if you like if you think in terms of God operating in the smallest scales, so His Spirit is the smallest doll which is put in a larger doll of eternal life then put that doll into a larger doll which is your spirit. Then put your sensitive spirit into the more cumbersome soul like a nut and its shell. Some shells have the nut (spirit), a coating (soul) around the nut, and then the outer shell (body). As you get the basic idea: Holy Spirit covers our small spirit in indwells, or from the perspective small things, the Holy Spirit works in the smallest.

One last clarification. I used the term God's life in two senses. His Holy Spirit and eternal life (or uncreated life). The phrase "God's life" is used in two ways. When it is referring to His Holy Spirit we may say with more clarity "God's Own life". When referring to the life eternal given to man who is saved, take out the word "Own". To distinguish God's eternal life from the eternal life of the saved man, just say: "life of the Holy Spirit" distinguished from "eternal life of the saved man." God's Own life life can also be used in two ways that distinguishes between God's Holy Spirit and the uncreated eternal life of God since it is God's own life. You've always got to be careful in which sense these words are being used.

I know it's tricky, but God leaves no stoned unturned so we have to be very careful handling how He does things. Print this out and meditate on it several times even over several days if you have to and it will all sink in as it did for me.
    by Published on 12-25-2009 04:45 AM     Number of Views: 1459 
    1. Categories:
    2. Regeneration,
    3. Calvinism

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet. 1.23,25). You are born-again (regenerated) through believing the gospel upon it being preached unto you; not regenerated then it is preached unto you to believe.

"As many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13.48). How were they ordained to believe? By God foreknowing their free-choice. "Seeing YOU put the gospel form you...we turn to the Gentiles" (v.46). "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate (Rom. 8.29)...elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father" (1 Pet. 1.2). "As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" (John 1.12). Who gets to be a son of God? What precedes becoming a son of God? Those who receive Him, even those who believe on His name; not by the will of the flesh (passion) or the will of man (planning) (v.13). First you must believe: "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" (1 John 5.1). "In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise" (Eph. 1.13). When is a person sealed (regenerated)? After trusting and hearing and believing. How does this election take place? "Whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate (Rom. 8.29)...elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father" (1 Pet. 1.2). Salvation is promised to all ("Repent, and be baptized every one of you" [Acts 2.38]), contingent upon individual faith ("Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" [Acts 16.31]).

"They that hear shall live" (John 5.25). "Ye will not come to me, that ye may have life" (John 5.40). "Every one who seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life" (John 6.40). "Believing ye may have life" (John 20.31). "Believe...and thou shalt be saved (Acts 16.31). If you are Totally unable, then why would God plead with you to hear, come, see and believe? And if you could not respond to the gospel because of an alleged Total depravity (Total inability), then God is being cruel and unjust even abusive by blaming those for not receiving Him when they were born into sin and are not responsible for the sins of their fathers. The Calvinist accuses the OSAS Arminian of a "works-oriented system" despite the fact that faith is contrasted to and the opposite of works and that the requirement of salvation is sola fide (faith alone). What glorifies God and who is really claiming, "because I was better than those who did not believe"? Those who with repentance and faith agree, "Boasting...is excluded by the law of faith" (Rom. 3.27); or those who without any prior repentance and faith, assumed pridefully, "I have peace with God because God in eternity past chose this undeserving sinner and placed His grace and love upon me"? Which do you think is true grace, peace and love? Make your choice.

You can often sense the pride of a Calvinist as he brushes by you and when he speaks, he need not say but a few words before you are turned off. We can be confident these men were not saved. Calvinists who are not saved include Paul Washer, Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), John Calvin, Augustine of Hippo, James White (today), John Fullerton MacArthur, Jr, R.C. Sproul, John Piper, Fred Driscoll, Charles Spurgeon, Matthew Slick (CARM) to name some popular names. And to the surprise of many even though Martin Luther restored to us Justification by Faith and denounced practices of the Roman Church what he actually meant was in the Calvinist sense, so it is highly likely Luther was not born-again either, because Calvinists don't want to be saved God's way. They prefer to assume they were regenerated that allegedly made them to repent and believe which is irresistibly imposed.

The Southern Baptist Convention says the issue of the heresy of Calvinism is going to be the foremost issue for the next 10 years. They are not going to weed out the Calvinists they say, but they admit they will have to do something about these false Christians that continue to try to highjack their convention each year.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast