• The Difference Between God's Uncreated Life and the Holy Spirit Indwelling

Which Do You Think is the Correct Interpretation (Simpler Version)
    of This Phrase on Page 24, Vol. 1 of The Spiritual Man?
    "Entrance of the uncreated life of God into man"

“And Jehovah God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul” (Gen. 2.7 ASV). When God first created man He formed him of dust from the ground, and then breathed “the breath of life” into his nostrils. As soon as the breath of life, which became man’s spirit, came into contact with man’s body, the soul was produced. Hence the soul is the combination of man’s body and spirit. The Scriptures therefore call man “a living soul.” The breath of life became man’s spirit; that is, the principle of life within him. The Lord Jesus tells us “it is the spirit that gives life” (John 6.63). This breath of life comes from the Lord of Creation. However, we must not confuse man’s spirit with God’s Holy Spirit. The latter differs from our human spirit. Romans 8.16 demonstrates their difference by declaring that “it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God.” The original of the word “life” in “breath of life” is chay and is in the plural. This may refer to the fact that the inbreathing of God produced a twofold life, soulical and spiritual. When the inbreathing of God entered man’s body it became the spirit of man; but when the spirit reacted with the body the soul was produced. This explains the source of our spiritual and soulical lives. We must recognize, though, that this spirit is not God’s Own life, for “the breath of the Almighty gives me life” (Job 33.4). It is not the entrance of the uncreated life of God into man, neither is it that life of God which we receive at regeneration. What we receive at new birth is God’s Own life as typified by the tree of life. But our human spirit, though permanently existing, is void of “eternal life.”

Option A:
    We must recognize, though, that this spirit is not God’s Own life [THE HOLY SPIRIT], for “the breath of the Almighty gives me life” (Job 33.4). It is not the entrance of the uncreated life of God into man [GOD BREATHING HIS LIFE INTO MAN TO CREATE A LIVING SOUL], neither is it that life of God which we receive at regeneration [ETERNAL LIFE]. What we receive at new birth is God’s Own life [SAME ETERNAL LIFE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT] as typified by the tree of life. But our human spirit, though permanently existing, is void of “eternal life.”
    Option B:
    We must recognize, though, that this spirit is not God’s Own life [THE HOLY SPIRIT], for “the breath of the Almighty gives me life” (Job 33.4). It is not the entrance of the uncreated life of God into man [GIVING MAN ETERNAL LIFE], neither is it that life of God which we receive at regeneration [HIS INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT]. What we receive at new birth is God’s Own life [SAME ETERNAL LIFE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT] as typified by the tree of life. But our human spirit, though permanently existing, is void of “eternal life.”
    I go with Option B because though there is consistency with having just mentioned "this breath of life comes from the Lord of Creation" and "God breathing His life into man to create a living soul," I don't find the expression, "entrance of the uncreated life of God into man" fitting for God breathing in His life to directly create man's spirit. "Entrance of the uncreated life of God into man" makes more sense to me as "giving man eternal life."

To substantiate this further, on page 34, vol. 1 we read, "Prior to regeneration the spirit is separated from God’s life; only afterwards does the life of God and of the Holy Spirit dwell in our spirits. They then have been quickened to be instruments of the Holy Spirit." If these two terms mean the same thing, why the repetition? The ordering is clear. First God gives eternal life-the life of God-in which then the Holy Spirit indwells that new life. The life of God can also be said to be the Holy Spirit, but in this context, the life of God is eternal life and the Holy Spirit indwells that new life.

Some may try to reverse the order and say, the "entrance of the uncreated life of God into man" is actually the indwelling Holy Spirit and "that life of God which we receive at regeneration" is eternal life, though the order seems out of place, still Option B is preferable over Option A.

The Holy Spirit has eternal life, but eternal life is not the Holy Spirit. Christians have eternal life, but we are not the Holy Spirit.