PDA

View Full Version : There are 3 Things We Should Do

Churchwork
06-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Galatians 2.20: "I [the self] have been crucified with Christ ... and ... I now live in the flesh."

"If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Luke 9.23).

This verse shows us three things we should do; yet actually, they are not three separate things but a single three-fold matter. The first step is to deny self. To deny means to forsake, to not care, to not be concerned about, to not acknowledge any demand. Denying self means a not letting self rule. This step is a singular action which needs to be taken by specifically believing that "I have been crucified with Christ." In order to protect this step, we must taken another and second step, and that is: "take up his cross daily." This shows that once we have willed to deliver self to the cross and not let it rule, we then must daily deny self. So that to "deny self" is a "daily" matter—never to be interrupted. To "deny self" cannot only be a once-and-for-all action. Paul declares, "I die daily" (1 Cor. 15.31). The Lord will give us a cross that we might bear it daily, because self is intensely alert; and Satan, who utilizes self, is untiring. Self is seeking for a chance to be re-enthroned. It will not lightly pass over any conceivable opportunity. Consequently, our taking up the cross daily is most essential.

Here lies the watchfulness required of believers. We ought to daily, nay, hourly, take up the cross that the Lord has given to us. Confess incessantly that the cross of Christ is our cross. Make no provision for self, nor let it have any position. And finally, the third step is to "follow me [the Lord]," which is to positively let the Lord be Lord, fully obeying the will of God and giving no opportunity nor possibility for self to renew its effort. All three of these steps or stages are centered upon the cross of Christ—which is to say that all three have it as their source. The first step—to deny self—is negative; the second step—to take up the cross—is negatively positive; and the third step—to follow the Lord—is totally positive.

It needs to be added here, however, that these two Scripture passages just now considered should never be separated. Through the combined viewing and practicing of them, we shall always experience the victory over self. At all times we must let the Holy Spirit do His work of implementing in us what the cross has accomplished.