PDA

View Full Version : What is the most quoted OT chapter in the NT?

Churchwork
05-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Spend a long time praying upon these words:

Isa 53:1 Who has believed what we have heard? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

Isa 53:2 For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or comeliness that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.

Isa 53:3 He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. - which men rejected Him? His own people, Israel.

Isa 53:4 Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. - Even before His crucifixion He already He had already taken our infirmities and borne our disease; which is to say that during His earthly ministry the Lord Jesus made healing His burden and task. He not only preached, He also healed: "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through Isaiah the prophet, saying: Himself took our infirmities, and bare our diseases" (Matt. 8.17).

Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed. - Jesus died, was scourged.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth. - Jesus carried the cross to His death on the cross.

Isa 53:8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people? - He was judged 4 times by governors: by Caiphas, the religious council, Pilate, and Herod.

Isa 53:9 And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. - His death on the cross after followed His perfect ministry!

Isa 53:10 Yet it was the will of the LORD to bruise him; he has put him to grief; when he makes himself an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring, he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand; - It was God's will to save man from his sins through the blood of His only begotten Son for His children to have resurrection life.

Isa 53:11 he shall see the fruit of the travail of his soul and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous; and he shall bear their iniquities. - My sins have been forgiven and accounted righteous in God's eyes, sanctified by faith, which allows me to come boldly before the Lord, justified by faith.

Isa 53:12 Therefore I will divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he poured out his soul to death, and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. - Yes, Jesus died for you too.