PDA

View Full Version : Repenting for New Birth

Churchwork
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Why is it that when you encourage someone to repent who says they are a Christian, they cannot repent of either some behavior or false teaching? Could it be because they yet want to remain carnal though saved, or is it because they are not actually saved and a pretender? Which is it? How can we tell? This is a great mystery? Quite often we just cannot know because the tares will look so much like the wheat, because many Christians are carnal and so are the unsaved tares who try to look like the wheat.

For example, if a person says they believe the 1000 years is happening now, why cannot they repent when you tell them that Rev. 20.3 specifically says the nations will no longer be deceived in the millennium? They are locked into their beliefs and can't come out.

Are they unsaved for carnal Christians? I think the best way to find out is if you give them a good explanation about the regeneration of the world (Matt. 19.28), accountability (Rev. 2 & 3 and Matt. 5-7) for the return of Christians (Jude 14,15) who receive reward (Matt. 25.1-12), and the nations no longer fighting (Rev. 20.3), yet they still can't let go of historicalism. I think we are close to observing a non-Christian for they offer no plausible explanation why they believe what they do, yet they believe it anyway. They may say something, but then as you ask them why, still they cannot justify it. Very odd! That has been my experience with them in this type of scenario.

It is as though they are possessed by an idea they are committed to come hell or highwater. It is a sad loss.