PDA

View Full Version : Paul thought Jesus appeared physically (Phil. 3.21)

Churchwork
04-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Paul says he saw Jesus alive. "Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?" (1 Cor. 9.1). "And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time" (1 Cor. 15.8). In both cases, Paul is referring to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Read also all of Galatians chapter 1. Paul's position is conclusive.

“For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body (soma), that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body (soma)” (Phil. 3.20-21). First there is the body, then it is the body plus something else to fashion a glorious body.

Paul: (1) he is a Pharisee who believes in the physical resurrection, (2) he believes in a resurrection from out among the dead (this pertains to first resurrection rewards), and (3) believes Jesus will change his body (soma) to be like His body (soma).

Phil. 3 is a commentary on 1 Cor. 15. Paul is not leaving any doubt this is a physical body glorified. Any talk about Paul thinking this referring to spirits is not to do Paul’s words justice. If Paul is clear in Phil. 3 this is not some wispy spirit, then we can’t have the problem of saying that this is non-physical because he is telling us what he means by it.