PDA

View Full Version : What day did Jesus die?

Churchwork
12-03-2005, 01:06 PM
People suggest that Jesus died on Wednesday, and after three days and three nights he was resurrected on Sunday, but this is not correct, because Luke say Jesus died on Friday and that Jesus was raised on the third day: Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

SealedEternal
01-21-2006, 07:21 PM
WHAT DAY DID JESUS DIE?

Jesus did not die on Good Friday, bad Friday, or any other Friday. The truth of the whole matter is that the Lord Jesus died on a Wednesday. Let's turn to Matthew 12:40and notice Christ's own prophecy pertaining to His death burial and resurrection:

"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly (or as it reads in the Hebrew-- in the sea monster's belly),so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

There is no clearer truth in all the world than Jesus' own specific prophecy of His death, burial, and resurrection. Eleven different times the Bible mentions that our Lord would be dead “three days,” and He gave us this one specific type setting forth the exact length of time that not only would His flesh be in the grave, but His Soul and Spirit would be in the flames of Hades. He said that just as Jonah was ‘three days and three nights” in the belly of the fish, that He also would spend “three days and three nights in the heart of the earth”—Hades—paying our sin debt. Peter preaching in Jerusalem also testified to this fact:

Acts 2:24,31“But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power….he [David] looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that HE WAS NEITHER ABANDONED TO HADES, NOR DID His flesh SUFFER DECAY.”

If Jesus was crucified on Friday afternoon and was raised on Sunday morning as is commonly believed and taught, then His Word failed. He said that He would be dead “three days and three nights,” and you can't figure more than two nights from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning to save your life.

Now, some of you are probably saying, "What difference does it make whether our Lord was crucified on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or any other day?" Well, it makes all the difference in the world. The Bible teaches that Jesus spent “three days and three nights” in the “heart of the earth”. And it is necessary that we believe the Bible if we are Christians. We may not understand all of the Bible, but God expects us to believe it all because it is His Word. And we're to study all of the Bible, not just sections or portions or passages that we particularly like.

Jesus fulfilled the type of Jonah. Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights. That's what the Scripture says in Jonah 1:17. Jesus became the anti type of Jonah. Sometimes people say, "Didn't the Jews count part of a day as a whole day or part of a night as a whole night?" Whenever you have the expression "day and night" mentioned together in the Hebrew Scriptures, it always means a full day and a full night. I can give you several Scriptures along that line. For instance, if you will turn to Esther 4:16; I Samuel 30:12-13and, of course, Jonah 1:17, you will find the expression "three days and three nights." And in every instance it means full days and full nights--not part of a day and part of a night. You know, Jesus defined what a day is. If you will turn to John 11:9, you will find that our Lord said: "Are there not twelve hours in a day?" Well if there are 12 hours in a day, then there are 12 hours in a night. And so three days and three nights would have to be 72 hours. Anything shorter than 72 hours would not fulfill the type of Jonah or the words of our blessed Lord.

THE RESURRECTION WAS NOT ON SUNDAY

Another fallacy connected with Easter is that Christ supposedly arose on Sunday morning. The truth of the matter is that our Lord arose from the dead late on Saturday afternoon. Let me give you the Scripture:

Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb while it was still dark, and saw the stone already taken away from the tomb. And so she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them. "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him." Peter therefore went forth, and the other disciple, and they were going to the tomb. And the two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead faster than Peter and came to the tomb first, and stooping and looking in, he saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. Simon Peter therefore also came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he beheld the linen wrappings lying there, and the face cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself. So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb entered then also, and he saw and believed. For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, and that He must rise again from the dead. So the disciples went away again to their own homes.John 20: 1-10

Now, please take note of two things. First, the tomb was already EMPTY when Mary Magdalene, alone, came to it. Second, Peter and John then visited the tomb also very late on Saturday just as Sunday was beginning. If we carefully consider each of the four Gospel accounts, one fact stands out beyond any question. When Mary Magdalene FIRST came to the tomb, Jesus was ALREADY GONE!

Here we have the secret of the whole matter. Now, if Jesus rose from the dead just as Sunday was beginning, and the prophecy of Matthew 12:40said that Christ had to be in the heart of the earth “three days and three nights,” then it is perfectly obvious that our Lord was crucified on Wednesday and His body had to be placed in the tomb before 6 P.M. on that day. Then His body remained in the tomb through Thursday (night and day), Friday (night and day), and Saturday (night and day), and was raised from the dead just as (Jewish) Sunday was beginning, or what we now would call Saturday evening about 6 o’clock. This fulfilled the prophecy of Matthew 12:40. Now, remember that the Jewish day always began at sundown, at about 6 P.M. Our day begins at midnight, but the Jewish day began at sunset. In Leviticus 23:32 the Lord said:

"From evening until evening you shall keep your Sabbath."

Please keep in mind that Mary made two visits to the tomb. John records the first visit of Mary on Saturday evening, at the close of the Sabbath, with Peter and John soon arriving at the tomb just a little later after Mary had informed them of what had happened. Matthew, Mark, and Luke all record the second visit of the women with Mary the next morning, early Sunday morning, at sunrise. It is then they see the angels.

WHEN WAS CHRIST CRUCIFIED?

Next, we find that Christ did not die on Friday, but on Wednesday. We have already found that the resurrection took place late Saturday just as the new Jewish week was beginning. Well, if we go back three days and three nights, the length of time that our Lord was in the grave, we come to Wednesday afternoon. Wednesday is the only day on which our Lord could have been crucified. No other day will fit the known facts.

Now let us see exactly when Christ was crucified. According to John 19:31 , our Lord was crucified on the Day of Preparation, that is, the preparation of the Jewish Passover. Notice,

"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for the Sabbath day was a high day) besought Pilate that their legs would be broken, and that they might be taken away."

The Passover always began on the l4th day of the Jewish month of Nisan (Leviticus 23:6), and the day following or the l5th, was always a High Day Sabbath. This was not the weekly 7th day Sabbath, but the annual Passover Sabbath. Please notice,

“On the fourteenth day of the first month at evening is the Lord’s Passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of the unleavened bread unto the Lord; Seven days you must eat unleavened bread. In the first day (the fifteenth) you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no secular work therein.” Leviticus 23:5-7
Thus it is fixed that this 15th day was ALWAYS a Sabbath regardless of the day of the week. This is the High Day Sabbath mentioned in John 19:31. Now the Scripture makes it plain that Christ was crucified on the day preceding this High Day Sabbath. This was called the PREPARATION DAY. Here it is in a "nutshell." Jesus ate the Passover in the first hours of Wednesday the l4th--just after 6 P.M. (We would call this Tuesday night.) Then He went to the Garden was arrested, tried, and the next day, crucified, still Wednesday the l4th.

He was crucified on the same day in which He ate the Passover. Jesus, therefore, as the Lamb of God, died for our sins on the l4th day of the Jewish month of Nisan (which corresponds with our April.) This had to be on a Wednesday, if we go back three days and three nights from Saturday evening, the time when our Lord came out of the tomb.

Churchwork
01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
This is not right what you said I don't think, "Peter and John then visited the tomb also very late on Saturday just as Sunday was beginning". This occured on Sunday when Mary went to find them in the morning which would seem more reasonable to start a new day not in the darkness of night. Mary did not make two visits. If she did, can you show it? This is why we celebrate Sunday, not Saturday.

Jesus did die on Friday, which is the day of Prepartation. He rose on the 3rd day from Friday. He was in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights for He was captured on Thursday and His death sentence was that day effectively placing Him in the earth that day spiritually speaking. I don't think we should legalize by sayng 3 FULL days and 3 FULL nights. That is not necessary. God is not a legalist.

So Friday would be the day Jesus died. If I am wrong I am open to you proving me wrong. I don't really have an issue with Easter. It is one of the few holidays that seems reasonable in terms of the events of Christ when He died on Friday, except for all the chocolate and the eggs, which are pagan rituals. Satan mixes things. This should not cause us to go to the opposite extreme all the way to Wednesday for the crucifixion.

I don't like the word Easter though as it too much resembles eastern as though God favors one side over the other. Lent is not Christian - http://philologos.org/__eb-ttb/sect32.htm

SealedEternal
01-21-2006, 08:27 PM
This is not right what you said I don't think, "Peter and John then visited the tomb also very late on Saturday just as Sunday was beginning". This occured on Sunday when Mary went to find them in the morning which would seem more reasonable to start a new day not in the darkness of night. Mary did not make two visits. If she did, can you show it? This is why we celebrate Sunday, not Saturday.

Jesus did die on Friday, which is the day of Prepartation. He rose on the 3rd day from Friday. He was in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights for He was captured on Thursday and His death sentence was that day effectively placing Him in the earth that day spiritually speaking. I don't think we should legalize by sayng 3 FULL days and 3 FULL nights. That is not necessary. God is not a legalist.

So Friday would not be the day Jesus died. If I am wrong I am open to you proving me wrong. I don't really have an issue with Easter. It is one of the few holidays that seems reasonable in terms of the events of Christ, except for all the chocolate.
The "first day of the week" for the Jews began sundown on what we call Saturday, and ended at sundown on what we call Sunday. When Mary showed up Saturday night/Sunday morning before sunrise, He was already gone, so He must have been raised from the dead some time before.

Friday is not the day of preparation. It is not on a specific day of the week every year.

John 19:31"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for the Sabbath day was a high day) besought Pilate that their legs would be broken, and that they might be taken away."

The Passover always began on the l4th day of the Jewish month of Nisan.

Leviticus 23:6“On the fourteenth day of the first month at evening is the Lord’s Passover.

The day following or the l5th, was always a High Day Sabbath. This was not the weekly 7th day Sabbath, but the annual Passover Sabbath. Please notice,

Leviticus 23:6-7 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of the unleavened bread unto the Lord; Seven days you must eat unleavened bread. In the first day (the fifteenth) you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no secular work therein.”

Thus it is fixed that this 15th day was ALWAYS a Sabbath regardless of the day of the week. This is the High Day Sabbath mentioned in John 19:31. Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Now the Scripture makes it plain that Christ was crucified on the day preceding this High Day Sabbath. This was called the PREPARATION DAY. It is on Nisan 14, and falls on a different day each year. That is the Sabbath that is being referred to, and not the seventh day Sabbath.

God is a legalist when He gives His Word. He always keeps it. If He says he is going to spend three days and nights in the earth, I believe He kept every minute of it. You cant find three nights between friday evening and Sunday morning to save your life. In other words, you're claiming He failed his mission, and did not keep His word.

Churchwork
01-21-2006, 09:55 PM
The "first day of the week" for the Jews began sundown on what we call Saturday, and ended at sundown on what we call Sunday. When Mary showed up Saturday night/Sunday morning before sunrise, He was already gone, so He must have been raised from the dead some time before.

Friday is not the day of preparation. It is not on a specific day of the week every year.

John 19:31"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for the Sabbath day was a high day) besought Pilate that their legs would be broken, and that they might be taken away."
Saturday night? The indication is a new day during the light, not during the darkness of the night before, even though the Sabbath ends Saturday evening. The day of preparation is before the Sabbath, so it is Friday. The day of preparation does not come two days before the the Saturday Sabbath, nor three days before. We can assume nothing, but only accept this. Scriptures does not allow us to assume something else. Let us be humble for the Lord's sake.

Leviticus 23:6“On the fourteenth day of the first month at evening is the Lord’s Passover.

The day following or the l5th, was always a High Day Sabbath. This was not the weekly 7th day Sabbath, but the annual Passover Sabbath. Please notice,

Leviticus 23:6-7 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of the unleavened bread unto the Lord; Seven days you must eat unleavened bread. In the first day (the fifteenth) you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no secular work therein.”

Thus it is fixed that this 15th day was ALWAYS a Sabbath regardless of the day of the week. This is the High Day Sabbath mentioned in
However, you still place the Sabbath on the Saturday anyway, so it makes no difference from your perspective. Resurrection day needs to be on the 8th day, the 1st day of the week.

John 19:31. Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Now the Scripture makes it plain that Christ was crucified on the day preceding this High Day Sabbath. This was called the PREPARATION DAY. It is on Nisan 14, and falls on a different day each year. That is the Sabbath that is being referred to, and not the seventh day Sabbath.

It appears though the 7th day Sabbath and the Nissan High Day Sabbath fell on the same day anyway.

God is a legalist when He gives His Word. He always keeps it. If He says he is going to spend three days and nights in the earth, I believe He kept every minute of it. You cant find three nights between friday evening and Sunday morning to save your life. In other words, you're claiming He failed his mission, and did not keep His word.
God is law abiding. I would not use the word legalist, for legalist is more akin to like one who is a bad lawyer like the Pharisees. Because Jonah was in the belly of a fish for 3 days and 3 nights, we draw the similarity, but spiritually 3 days and 3 nights from Thursday night to Saturday night when Christ was sentenced to death. You should see this sentencing beginning at this juncture and this is the meaning of 3 days and 3 nights. Christ was essentially put to death spiritually on Thursday for that is when they took Him from the garden to die on the cross the next day. This is the spiritual answer for our spirit, not so concerned with keeping legalisms. I don't find 3 nights between Friday and Sunday morning. I find 3 nights from Thursday night to Sunday morning. God succeeded in His mission, just not according to your timetable legalisms and your rejection of the new resurrection day that is wholly unlike the Sabbath and has nothing to do with the Sabbath. We should be leary of legalizers that want to keep the Sabbath or who want to reject the new day which is the first day of the week and keeping with the number of resurrection which is the number 8. You would lose sight of this, because your numbers would not agree. Also, you place the Sabbath on the same day as I anyway.

The major difference as I see it, and correct me if I am wrong, is that you overassume more than what is there. You overassume Wednesday as passover and Thursday as the Sabbath, yet, Mary went to see Jesus after the Sabbath. Mary did not go to see Jesus on Friday. She went to see Jesus on Sunday morning. You agree with Mary going to see Jesus after the weekly Sabbath, so you contradict yourself with Mary going to see Jesus after the High Day Sabbath.

Wow!

SealedEternal
01-21-2006, 10:56 PM
You're missing the entire point. The Sabbath is a day of rest. Every Saturday was a Sabbath, but not every Sabbath is not on Saturday. The Jews had "high day Sabbaths" which were on a specific date irregardless of the day of the week.

The 15th is always a Sabbath, no matter what day of the week it fell.

“On the fourteenth day of the first month at evening is the Lord’s Passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of the unleavened bread unto the Lord; Seven days you must eat unleavened bread. In the first day (the fifteenth) you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no secular work therein.”Leviticus 23:5-7

On the 15th of Nisan they had a high day Sabbath no matter what day it happened to be. That's where you're confused. You're assuming it is the seventh day Sabbath which it is not.

John 19:31"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for the Sabbath day was a high day)...."

It is the Nisan 15 high day Sabbath being referred to rather than the seventh day Sabbath. You've begun with a false pretext, and that's why you're having trouble comprehending this. I haven't said anything contradictory, you just haven't studied Jewish law. THERE WERE TWO SABBATHS THAT WEEK! That's what I've been trying to explain to you.

Christ said He would be in the belly of the earth for three days and three nights and He never lies. There's no such thing as "spiritual days" and it is only people with false doctrines who invent such things. We should be leary of people who "spiritualize" Christ's promises, in order to defend their theology.

WOW!

Churchwork
01-21-2006, 11:17 PM
You're missing the entire point. The Sabbath is a day of rest. Every Saturday was a Sabbath, but not every Sabbath is not on Saturday. The Jews had "high day Sabbaths" which were on a specific date irregardless of the day of the week.
I understand your point. If I did not, you could show it. I have already acknowledged a High Day Sabbath.

This is a double-negative saying not every Sabbath is on any other day of the week except Saturday, but I think I know what you are trying to say.

Yes, this is already understood.

The 15th is always a Sabbath, no matter what day of the week it fell.

“On the fourteenth day of the first month at evening is the Lord’s Passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of the unleavened bread unto the Lord; Seven days you must eat unleavened bread. In the first day (the fifteenth) you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no secular work therein.”Leviticus 23:5-7
Yes.

On the 15th of Nisan they had a high day Sabbath no matter what day it happened to be. That's where you're confused. You're assuming it is the seventh day Sabbath which it is not.

John 19:31"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for the Sabbath day was a high day)...."

Yes.

It is the Nisan 15 high day Sabbath being referred to rather than the seventh day Sabbath. You've begun with a false pretext, and that's why you're having trouble comprehending this. I haven't said anything contradictory, you just haven't studied Jewish law. THERE WERE TWO SABBATHS THAT WEEK! That's what I've been trying to explain to you.

I don't doubt there was two Sabbath's that week. That is not the issue, showing you are confused. You are confused because you missed my point altogether. Let me quote me again (understand this),

"The major difference as I see it, and correct me if I am wrong, is that you overassume more than what is there. You overassume Wednesday as passover and Thursday as the Sabbath, yet, Mary went to see Jesus after the Sabbath. Mary did not go to see Jesus on Friday. She went to see Jesus on Sunday morning. You agree with Mary going to see Jesus after the weekly Sabbath, so you contradict yourself with Mary going to see Jesus after the High Day Sabbath."

The Bible does not say two different Sabbath's. We should assume the Sabbaths spoken of are the same sabbaths unless shown otherwise. Therefore, you have the unresolved contradiction as noted in the above paragraph. The only way to resolve this is to accept that the Sabbaths fell on the same day, Saturday, thus making Thursday the day Jesus was ceized in the garden.

This would seem reasonable.

Christ said He would be in the belly of the earth for three days and three nights and He never lies. There's no such thing as "spiritual days" and it is only people with false doctrines who invent such things. We should be leary of people who "spiritualize" Christ's promises, in order to defend their theology.

These are spiritual days as proven by your contradiction. This is powerful because it shows Jesus is saying that He was as good as dead on Thursday. He is telling us, their plan was for his death was sealed on Thursday. Under your system, this is not appreciated. While you are focused on the physical rules man obsesses with, Jesus is showing us something deeper.

This fills up believers spiritually which is more satisfying.

SealedEternal
01-21-2006, 11:51 PM
"The major difference as I see it, and correct me if I am wrong, is that you overassume more than what is there. You overassume Wednesday as passover and Thursday as the Sabbath, yet, Mary went to see Jesus after the Sabbath. Mary did not go to see Jesus on Friday. She went to see Jesus on Sunday morning. You agree with Mary going to see Jesus after the weekly Sabbath, so you contradict yourself with Mary going to see Jesus after the High Day Sabbath.".
No, I don't assume anything. youre assuming these are not literal days even though God says they are.

My position is that Mary went to see Him after the the seventh day Sabbath, which was the second Sabbath of that week. The seventh day Sabbath ended at sundown on what we call Saturday evening.

Jesus was killed and placed in the tomb before the high day Sabbath of the Passover. Mary came after the seventh day Sabbath. These are two different Sabbaths. Either you're not understanding me, or intentionally mischaracterizing my position. These are two different Sabbaths, on two different days. There is no need to "spiritualize" these verses to fit your Theology. God said what He meant, and meant what He said.

The Bible does not say two different Sabbath's. We should assume the Sabbaths spoken of are the same sabbaths unless shown otherwise. Therefore, you have the unresolved contradiction as noted in the above paragraph. The only way to resolve this is to accept that the Sabbaths fell on the same day, Saturday, thus making Thursday the day Jesus was ceized in the garden.

You should not assume anything. You should listen to what God says. John 19:31 says that He was placed in the tomb before the "high day Sabbath."

John 20:1 says Mary came on the first day of the week Sabbath.

John 20:1 "Now on the first day of the week.... "

God says they were two different Sabbaths. Why don't you accept what He says instead of spiritualizing it to fit your Theology?

This would seem reasonable.

These are spiritual days as proven by your contradiction. This is powerful because it shows Jesus is saying that He was as good as dead on Thursday. He is telling us, their plan was for his death was sealed on Thursday. Under your system, this is not appreciated. While you are focused on the physical rules man obsesses with, Jesus is showing us something deeper.This fills up believers spiritually which is more satisfying.
That's absurd, and you're only trying to rationalize your false teaching. it is not satisfying to me to call God a liar. There are no contradictions in my teaching, and I, unlike you, take God at his word.

Churchwork
01-22-2006, 12:17 AM
No, I don't assume anything. youre assuming these are not literal days even though God says they are.
They are literal days. Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

My position is that Mary went to see Him after the the seventh day Sabbath, which was the second Sabbath of that week. The seventh day Sabbath ended at sundown on what we call Saturday evening.
The Bible itself does not distinguish between these two Sabbaths, and you were not able to find any Scriptures to that effect; ergo, you are overassuming, while I choose not to. It is better to be humble; thus, Jesus is speaking of being ceized on Thursday, the first day of the 3 days and the first night of the 3 nights.

Jesus was killed and placed in the tomb before the high day Sabbath of the Passover. Mary came after the seventh day Sabbath. These are two different Sabbaths. Either you're not understanding me, or intentionally mischaracterizing my position. These are two different Sabbaths, on two different days. There is no need to "spiritualize" these verses to fit your Theology. God said what He meant, and meant what He said.
Jesus was placed in the tomb before the high day Sabbath of the Passover on Friday. The Bible does not distinguish between these two Sabbaths. Thus, they were both on Saturday. Either you are not understanding me, or you are intentionally shutting your mind down and mischaracterizing the position afforded to you in the Scriptures. These are two Sabbaths on the same day; do not assume otherwise. You create different days to fit your theology, but the Bible says no such thing, but considers these Sabbaths on the same day. God said what He meant, and meant what He said, not so you could legalize His words.

You should not assume anything. You should listen to what God says. John 19:31 says that He was placed in the tomb before the "high day Sabbath."
We know them to be on the same day, otherwise the Word would have led us to believe otherwise. If the Word makes no distinction and would not confuse us, then why are you so adamant in overassuming? Rightly divide the Word not more than what it says. This takes humility and obedience to the Spirit. If I am wrong, the obligation is on you to show different days for the Sabbaths. I have no problem repenting if I am wrong, but I would need to be shown to be wrong because the position I have now is the non-overassuming one while yours is the overassuming one, splitting the days.

John 20:1 says Mary came on the first day of the week Sabbath.

John 20.1 does not say "the first day of the week Sabbath". The first day of the week is not the Sabbath; you are trying desparately to make this Sabbath on another day so you add your words. It says "The first [day] of the week cometh" after the Sabbath, the same day after the annual Sabbath. Mary would not wait many days, for in many days, many things could happen. So, she came the next day early Sunday morning.

God says they were two different Sabbaths. Why don't you accept what He says instead of spiritualizing it to fit your Theology?
God does not distinguish the Sabbaths. And you don't provide any verses to make your case, so why overassume? Is it so hard for you to be humble? Accept was is spiritual when it is spiritual food for your soul and spirit. Your theology is based on overassuming, and this is where I can see your fault. Praise the Lord for this discernment.

That's absurd, and you're only trying to rationalize your false teaching. it is not satisfying to me to call God a liar. There are no contradictions in my teaching, and I, unlike you, take God at his word.

Something is not absurd just because you self-declare it. What is absurd is always to overassume as we have seen you doing.

I do not have to rationalize anything, for what I have said flows from the Spirit.

You are rationalizing because you have a gaping contradiction by overassuming different day Sabbaths when you can find no indication of such in the Scriptures. Is this humble? I think not. Unwittingly, given your contradiction, you would be calling God a liar, but overassuming more than what He gives. You overassume more than what God said, so you take something for yourself, which you can not find basis for in the Scriptures. This taking of yours has the false fruit of puffing up self.

SealedEternal
01-22-2006, 01:00 AM
They are literal days. Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Notice Christ's own prophecy pertaining to His death burial and resurrection:

Matthew 12:40"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

God said He would be in the heart of the earth three days. Do you believe him or not? You're adding days in which he was not in the heart of the earth, so you are in fact calling him a liar.

The Bible itself does not distinguish between these two Sabbaths, and you were not able to find any Scriptures to that effect; ergo, you are overassuming, while I choose not to. It is better to be humble; thus, Jesus is speaking of being ceized on Thursday, the first day of the 3 days and the first night of the 3 nights.

You're assuming because of your false Theology that these are spiritual days when GOD SAID HE WOULD BE IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH FOR THREE LITERAL DAYS. You need to humble yourself and listen to your Creator instead of your theology. Where does scripture say Jesus was " ceized on Thursday" ? God says it was before the high day Sabbath which couldn't have been Thursday, and still allow three days and nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus was placed in the tomb before the high day Sabbath of the Passover on Friday. The Bible does not distinguish between these two Sabbaths. Thus, they were both on Saturday. Either you are not understanding me, or you are intentionally shutting your mind down and mischaracterizing the position afforded to you in the Scriptures. These are two Sabbaths on the same day; do not assume otherwise. You create different days to fit your theology, but the Bible says no such thing, but considers these Sabbaths on the same day. God said what He meant, and meant what He said, not so you could legalize His words.

What do you mean it doesn't distinguish between the Sabbaths? I showed you scripture repeatedly that proves there were two different Sabbaths that week. Where does God say it is the same day? It can't because if it did then Jesus would be a liar. I understand your words, but your teaching is unscriptural and presumptive in order to defend your false theology. It is YOU THAT IS ASSUMING THE SABBATHS ARE ON THE SAME DAY. Scripture doesn't say that.

We know them to be on the same day, otherwise the Word would have led us to believe otherwise. If the Word makes no distinction and would not confuse us, then why are you so adamant in overassuming? Rightly divide the Word not more than what it says. This takes humility and obedience to the Spirit. If I am wrong, the obligation is on you to show different days for the Sabbaths. I have no problem repenting if I am wrong, but I would need to be shown to be wrong because the position I have now is the non-overassuming one while yours is the overassuming one, splitting the days.

The Word did lead me to believe otherwise. You have simply been duped by buying in to the Theology of false teachers. You're the only one assuming here. I believe what the text actually says, and don't have to come up with ridiculous theories as to why my theology contradicts scripture. The obligation is yours to prove that Jesus failed His mission. I believe He fulfilled it. You are wrong because you're in contradiction to God. You're just to arrogant to admit it.

John 20.1 does not say "the first day of the week Sabbath". The first day of the week is not the Sabbath; you are trying desperately to make this Sabbath on another day so you add your words. It says "The first [day] of the week cometh" after the Sabbath, the same day after the annual Sabbath. Mary would not wait many days, for in many days, many things could happen. So, she came the next day early Sunday morning.

Come on now. You know I meant the first day of the week which was after the Sabbath.

Something is not absurd just because you self-declare it. What is absurd is always to overassume as we have seen you doing.

I do not have to rationalize anything, for what I have said flows from the Spirit.

You are rationalizing because you have a gaping contradiction by overassuming different day Sabbaths when you can find no indication of such in the Scriptures. Is this humble? I think not. Unwittingly, given your contradiction, you would be calling God a liar, but overassuming more than what He gives. You overassume more than what God said, so you take something for yourself, which you can not find basis for in the Scriptures. This taking of yours has the false fruit of puffing up self.

Things that contradict God don't "flow from the Spirit."

What is absurd is this.

This is powerful because it shows Jesus is saying that He was as good as dead on Thursday. He is telling us, their plan was for his death was sealed on Thursday. Under your system, this is not appreciated. While you are focused on the physical rules man obsesses with, Jesus is showing us something deeper.
That's trying to make a lie sound spiritual. Scripture doesn't say any of that, and you're only making things up to rationalize your false teaching.

I showed you repeatedly that there were two Sabbaths that week. You are the one who assumes that they are the same day when God never said they were. You're theology causes you to deny Christ's claim that He spent three days and nights in the heart of the earth paying for your sins. That's blasphemy.

There is no reason to hold such a Theology based on scripture. It is your pride that won't allow you to accept Jesus Christ's claim, because that would mean admitting you made a mistake.

Churchwork
01-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Notice Christ's own prophecy pertaining to His death burial and resurrection:

Matthew 12:40"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

God said He would be in the heart of the earth three days. Do you believe him or not? You're adding days in which he was not in the heart of the earth, so you are in fact calling him a liar.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday are 3 days. I did not add any days. You did. Your days are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, an extra day. You can't repent for some reason.

You're assuming because of your false Theology that these are spiritual days when GOD SAID HE WOULD BE IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH FOR THREE LITERAL DAYS. You need to humble yourself and listen to your Creator instead of your theology. Where does scripture say Jesus was " ceized on Thursday" ? God says it was before the high day Sabbath which couldn't have been Thursday, and still allow three days and nights in the heart of the earth.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday are 3 literal days. Jesus was taken in the garden on Thursday, put to death on Friday before the Sabbath, and was resurrected on Sunday. I did not say Jesus died on Thursday, but that He was seized on Thursday. Saturday being t he high day Sabbath, makes Thursday the day He was seized. This allowed for 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth since Thursday when He was captured. For you, His being seized is not a day in which He was in the earth, but this is the spiritual meaning He was effectively in the earth on this day already, because His death was assured when He was captured.

This agrees with the fact that the Scriptures do not make separate day Sabbaths.

What do you mean it doesn't distinguish between the Sabbaths? I showed you scripture repeatedly that proves there were two different Sabbaths that week. Where does God say it is the same day? It can't because if it did then Jesus would be a liar. I understand your words, but your teaching is unscriptural and presumptive in order to defend your false theology. It is YOU THAT IS ASSUMING THE SABBATHS ARE ON THE SAME DAY. Scripture doesn't say that.
You showed no Scripture for two different Sabbaths, you only assumed they were two different Sabbaths falling on two different days. Nothing indicates in those verses they were different days, otherwise Scriptures would have indicated so. Since only one Sabbath is spoken of, you ought to consider only one day, not two days. To make your case, you need to show verses that indicate different days and more than one Sabbath being discussed. Only one Sabbath is referred to, so there is only one day, Saturday, the same day for the annual and weekly Sabbath. Jesus is not a liar because they are on the same day.

The Bible gives no indication of two different days for the Sabbath. Since you can't show this you should be humble and accept only one day for the Sabbaths. That's what I do.

The way to expose your idea is simple. Mary would not have waited several extra days to go to the tomb. She would have done so the day after the Sabbath requiring both Sabbaths to fall on the same day. Many things could have happened in between those Sabbaths if they were on different days. The only thing that separated the burial of Christ and His resurrection was the Sabbath itself.

The Word did lead me to believe otherwise. You have simply been duped by buying in to the Theology of false teachers. You're the only one assuming here. I believe what the text actually says, and don't have to come up with ridiculous theories as to why my theology contradicts scripture. The obligation is yours to prove that Jesus failed His mission. I believe He fulfilled it. You are wrong because you're in contradiction to God. You're just to arrogant to admit it.
You presented verses to try to make your case. I responded to you to show you how you misread those verses specifically, and since then, you have not responded to my explanations of how you misread those verses. If you choose not to move the conversation forward by not responding to my explanation of how you misread those verses, that is your choice, but it does betray you. Your theories are ridiculous and trying to alter the Scriptures.

You don't believe the text, but add your thought to them. I don't have an obligation to show Jesus failed His mission, for I know He did not fail His mission. How odd that you would ask me to prove something that I don't believe. Yes, you are arrogant, because you do not respond to my explanation how you misread those verses. Just don't self-declare I contradict God, but show it as I showed you how you contradicted God by misreading those verses, which you do not respond to. This exposes you.

Nothing indicates the Sabbath being spoken of is two different Sabbaths, thus, showing us one day only we are dealing with for the Sabbath on Saturday. And Mary does not wait several days, but at the nearest possible time after Calvary on Friday she goes to the tomb just before sunrise on Sunday morning. 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the earth: Thursday, Friday, Saturday. In the Scriptures, Israel is always represented by the earth: God gives them earthly promises. Whereas the nations are represented by the sea.

Come on now. You know I meant the first day of the week which was after the Sabbath. Things that contradict God don't "flow from the Spirit."What is absurd is this. That's trying to make a lie sound spiritual. Scripture doesn't say any of that, and you're only making things up to rationalize your false teaching.
Be careful with your word next time an don't say "the first day of the week Sabbath" but say "the first day of the week after the Sabbath". I know it is hard to admit your mistake, but it would be good for you.

Scripture does say the Pharisees captured Jesus, and the day after He was put to death, which was the day before the Sabbath, and following that same Sabbath, the first day of the week Jesus was resurrected. Nothing in the Scriptures indicate different Sabbaths to cause Mary to wait several days to go to the tomb. Thus, Mary did not wait several days. You overassume therefore, which is absurd in order to be legalistic, to forsake what is spiritual. This is your rationalization which you can not justify. Men in their flesh cling to something to look to puff up self.

And given your other problems you have such as claiming there is no laying on of hands in the Bible, you have the gall not to be sure about baptism, you deny overcoming in Christ, and you do not believe the restoration of creation in the six summary days, these various errors show forth your lack of spiritual awareness and understanding of God's will.

I showed you repeatedly that there were two Sabbaths that week. You are the one who assumes that they are the same day when God never said they were. You're theology causes you to deny Christ's claim that He spent three days and nights in the heart of the earth paying for your sins. That's blasphemy.
Since there is a Sabbath every week, why would it be surprising that there would be two Sabbath's during the week of the annual Sabbath? This is not the issue. The issue is, if the annual Sabbath fell on a different day the Scriptures would have led us to believe so, but it does not, and moreover, Mary would have gone to the tomb as soon as possible after the Sabbath which would put the Sabbaths on the same day because we know she went to the tomb on Sunday. That should solve it for you, but you can't repent. Earthly Israel is represented by the earth, and thus Jesus was in the heart of Israel for 3 days and 3 nights.

Satan, through your spirit, accuses me by saying I think that Jesus was not in the Earth for 3 days and 3 nights, but I do not agree with your legalistic interpretation the evil spirit implants in you like a bad lawyer which has no spiritual value. This you will not repent from.

There is no reason to hold such a Theology based on scripture. It is your pride that won't allow you to accept Jesus Christ's claim, because that would mean admitting you made a mistake.

The reason was given already, and I am repeating myself many times which shows the only possibility is a same day Sabbath. It is your pride that can't see this because you prefer to be like a legalistic bad lawyer and not see Israel as earthly and the fact that Jesus captured was essentially commited to death. This is God's original which destroys your argument. There is no spiritual value to your legalistic requirement. Therein lies the difference coming from you.

Churchwork
01-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Some key observations.

If Jesus died on Wednesday passover, Thursday would be the Sabbath, and Mary would have gone to see Jesus on Friday, but the Scriptures say she went to the tomb on the first day of the week in the morning before sunrise which would be 2 days later. Mary came to the tomb once (John 20.1), not twice.

Also interesting to show the sabbaths were on the same day Saturday, notice that if Jesus died on Wednesday in the afternoon, that would be Wednesday evening, Thursday evening, Friday evening and Saturday evening. But Jesus is only in the heart of the earth(ly) Israel for 3 days and 3 nights (in the grasp of Israel Thursday, Friday, Saturday). Wednesday to Sunday is 4 nights and 5 days. Wednesday does not work.

Many do not want to accept the Lord's day Sunday. Be leery of those who want to judaize Christianity by keeping the Sabbath. The day of resurrection is a new day, the 8th day of the week, which is also the first day. 8 is the number of resurrection.

ValiantForTruth
01-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Some key observations.

If Jesus died on Wednesday passover, Thursday would be the Sabbath, and Mary would have gone to see Jesus on Friday, but the Scriptures say she went to the tomb on the first day of the week in the morning before sunrise which would be 2 days later. Mary came to the tomb once (John 20.1), not twice.

Also interesting to show the sabbaths were on the same day Saturday, notice that if Jesus died on Wednesday in the afternoon, that would be Wednesday evening, Thursday evening, Friday evening and Saturday evening. But Jesus is only in the heart of the earth(ly) Israel for 3 days and 3 nights (in the grasp of Israel Thursday, Friday, Saturday). Wednesday to Sunday is 4 nights and 5 days. Wednesday does not work.

Many do not want to accept the Lord's day Sunday. Be leery of those who want to judaize Christianity by keeping the Sabbath. The day of resurrection is a new day, the 8th day of the week, which is also the first day. 8 is the number of resurrection.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. And this topic caught my attention. Hopefully I can ADD some additional information that will help you get to the truth.

Consider the women and what they did after seeing Jesus' body placed in the tomb by Joseph of Arimathaea.

Mark 16:1
And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

It says here that Mary Magdalene and these other women purchased spices WHEN?... it says they purchased them after the sabbath, "when the sabbath was past."

Now look at what Luke says the women did.

Luke 23:56
And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

It says here that the women prepared spices BEFORE a sabbath day.

So the women purchased spices AFTER a sabbath, and prepared them BEFORE a sabbath (according to the scriptures).

Since they could not have purchased spices on a sabbath day, or prepare them on a sabbath day, there had to be a day when they could have both purchased and prepared the spices that was not a sabbath day, and that day was both before and after a sabbath day. The scriptures say that after the women saw how Jesus' body was laid in the sepulchre, that...

There was a sabbath day (the annual sabbath day of Passover).
1) the women purchased the spices after a sabbath day.
2) the women prepared the spices before a sabbath day.
There was a sabbath day (the weekly sabbath day).

IOW...

Thursday -- the Annual sabbath day of Passover (Nisan 15) - women rested.
Friday -- a nonsabbath day - women purchased and prepared spices.
Saturday -- the Weekly sabbath day - women rested.

The scriptures tell us that there were two sabbath days that week and a day in between.

VFT
:)

Churchwork
01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Hopefully I can ADD some additional information that will help you get to the truth.
I think we are already in the truth on this matter as the thread bears out, fully discussed.

And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

It says here that Mary Magdalene and these other women purchased spices WHEN?... it says they purchased them after the sabbath, "when the sabbath was past."

"The next evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene and Salome and Mary the mother of James went out and purchased burial spices to put on Jesus' body" (Mark 16.1 New Living Translation c.1996).

As others have pointed out, each day ended at 6 p.m., so the Sabbath ended at this time. This is why it is said "the next evening", as days are evenings and mornings, not considered mornings and evenings (for example see the 6 days of restoration in Genesis). That evening of the new day Sunday, the purchase was made just before going in the morning: "And very early in the morning [of this same day] the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun" (v.2).

And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

It says here that the women prepared spices BEFORE a sabbath day.

So the women purchased spices AFTER a sabbath, and prepared them BEFORE a sabbath (according to the scriptures).

If Jesus died on Wednesday, they would have prepared the spices that day, and the Passover Sabbath would have commenced at 6 p.m. on Wednesday evening, leaving Friday as a day to do nothing. Why prepare the spicies on Wednesday, and not use them on Friday, but wait till Sunday? Makes no sense. Is there another possibility?

What if Jesus died on Thursday, spices were prepared Thursday, the Annual Sabbath was Friday, and then, there was the weekly Sabbath on Saturday? This doesn't work either since Mary could not work on either Sabbath Friday or Saturday where Mark clearly states she went to purchase items, which would be considered work. Ergo, we are left only one possibility as originally shown.

Mary prepared spicies that she had on Friday of Jesus' death before both Sabbaths which were on the same day Saturday, and any additional spices needed were purchased after 6 p.m. on Sunday evening, which would be to us today considered as Saturday evening.

Logic wins out here assuming nothing.

Since they could not have purchased spices on a sabbath day, or prepare them on a sabbath day, there had to be a day when they could have both purchased and prepared the spices that was not a sabbath day, and that day was both before and after a sabbath day. The scriptures say that after the women saw how Jesus' body was laid in the sepulchre, that...
Yes. Friday before the Sabbath there was preparation, and after the Sabbath what final purchase was needed was done. This is just like when you have a wedding, and you forgot a couple of items, so you make a quick rush to the store to get them before the actual wedding.

There was a sabbath day (the annual sabbath day of Passover).
1) the women purchased the spices after a sabbath day.
2) the women prepared the spices before a sabbath day.
There was a sabbath day (the weekly sabbath day).

There was a sabbath day - this day was both the annual and weekly sabbath, which allows for preparation before the one sabbath day mentioned for both sabbaths and purchases made after the sabbaths mentioned as one on one day.

Thursday -- the Annual sabbath day of Passover (Nisan 15) - women rested.
Friday -- a nonsabbath day - women purchased and prepared spices.
Saturday -- the Weekly sabbath day - women rested.

This possibility is ruled out as noted above because if spicies were bought after the annual sabbath (Thursday) which would be to us Thursday evening (to them it would be the new day beginning Friday evening), they would have applied the spicies on Friday when they woke up in the morning when the sun was about to rise instead of waiting till after Saturday, a whole other day while His body would be rotting. This is unacceptable.

I am repeating myself, since I said the exact same thing in my previous post, which you should have at least read to show you are reading at least something before you post!

"Early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance" (John 20.1).

"Now upon the first [day] of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain [others] with them" (Luke 24.1).

and spices were prepared of the day of Jesus' death on Thursday
This makes no sense, since your previous words I quoted above, you indicate Jesus would have died on Wednesday. You can't give an argument for Wednesday and then just self-declare He died on Thursday since Jesus did not die on the Sabbath. No, since as we have seen, the only possibility left is Jesus died on Friday; therefore, the spices were prepared Friday afternoon for if they were prepared Thursday afternoon, they would have used them on Friday.

The scriptures tell us that there were two sabbath days that week and a day in between.
The Scriptures indicate two Sabbaths, but only one Sabbath day; there was no possibility of a day in between, because Mary who loved Jesus would not wait extra days to apply the spice to Jesus.

Let us be humble for the Lord's sake and accept one day for the Sabbaths because no other possibility is possible.

Praise the Lord for this discernment! Amen.

ValiantForTruth
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
I think we are already in the truth on this matter as the thread bears out, fully discussed.

No need to get defensive. I read this entire thread before I posted my response. Not one place did anyone mention anything about the timing of the women's purchase and preparation of their spices.

"The next evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene and Salome and Mary the mother of James went out and purchased burial spices to put on Jesus' body" (Mark 16.1 New Living Translation c.1996).

As others have pointed out, each day ended at 6 p.m., so the Sabbath ended at this time. This is why it is said "the next evening", as days are evenings and mornings, not considered mornings and evenings (for example see the 6 days of restoration in Genesis).

We all agree that the new day began and ended at sundown.

That evening of the new day Sunday, the purchase was made just before going in the morning: "And very early in the morning [of this same day] the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun" (v.2).

You are making a very big assumption - that the market place was open after sundown. Do you have any evidence of this? Even as recent as the 1960's stores in the USA were NEVER open in the evening. And "good luck" trying to find a store open on Sundays! I think "Lawsons" was the first store open on Sundays and it then became the first of the 24 hr open stores. After the weekly sabbath day, the new day (Sunday) would have begun at sundown Saturday. The "night" portion of the day preceded the "daylight" portion of the day, and I would like to see any evidence that would show that the Markets were ever open at anytime other than the daylight hours.

If Jesus died on Wednesday, they would have prepared the spices that day, and the Passover Sabbath would have commenced at 6 p.m. on Wednesday evening...

If the women prepared the spices on the same day that Jesus died, how much time would they have had to prepare them?

..Jesus died about the 9th hour of the day (3pm).
..Jesus is buried by Joseph of Arimathea before sundown, without spices and ointments.
..The women saw how Joseph laid Jesus in the tomb and concluded that they would have to come back at a later time and bury him properly, with spices and ointments.
..They obviously did not see Nicodemus come by later with about 100 pounds of ointments and properly bury Jesus.

How long do you think it would take to prepare 100 pounds of ointments so that they could be used to bury someone? These women would have had LESS than 1 hour (at best) to get in their car, speed to the nearest Walmart, locate the spices and ointments they would need, check-out (no doubt at that late hour the checkout lanes would have been pretty crowded with all the last minute purchases being made before the Holyday ... ever shop around Christmas time?), then load all their purchases in the SUV, fight the traffic, and finally get home in time to prepare 100 pounds of spices and ointments...."tongue-in-cheek"... continued... Have you ever cooked a 100 pound turkey? The biggest birds are usually 20 pounds or so (most are in the teens I think) and they take ..H..O..U..R..S.. to prepare, ...these women had to prepare the equivalent of several huge turkeys - it would take a very long time.

Have I painted the picture for you? Even without cars, the place was PACKED with people and transportation animals - it was PASSOVER. That means CROWDS!!! EVERYONE was in Jerusalem, literally! The women would not have had time to prepare their spices and ointments between the time they left the tomb and sundown, and therefore would not have started something they knowingly could not have finished; not with Passover only moments from beginning.

...leaving Friday as a day to do nothing. Why prepare the spicies on Wednesday, and not use them on Friday, but wait till Sunday? Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. They would not have had time to even begin to prepare their spices on Wednesday. After the day of Passover (after Thursday which would then be Friday) they went shopping. They purchased spices and ointments and brought them home. Then they spent all day Friday preparing those spices and ointments, just like it says they did in Luke 23:56 and Mark 16:1. Then, after preparing them, they rested the sabbath day (Saturday, the 7th day of the week) according to the commandment.

Also, the local govt. had "sealed" the sepulchre with a large stone, and placed guards at the entrance on Thursday. This also would have been a deterant to the women.

Logic wins out here assuming nothing.

Yes, assuming nothing.

:)
VFT

Churchwork
01-23-2006, 11:40 PM
No need to get defensive. I read this entire thread before I posted my response. Not one place did anyone mention anything about the timing of the women's purchase and preparation of their spices.
I am not defensive, why think that? The timing of the purchase was not mentioned (that verse was not mentioned), that is correct, but the fact that Mary would not wait an extra day to use the spices was, whether purchased or not. And, the purchase of the spices do not add anything material, but do thank you for your effort for the added information as it actually corroborates the sabbaths were on the same day Saturday because the purchase of the spices could only have occured after the sabbaths on Saturday. And we know this because of the reason I already gave you that Mary would not wait an extra day to give the Son of God the spices, therefore the spices could not have been purchased on any day except after Saturday. Any other time would require her to wait at least an extra day for no reason at all which would decay the body needlessly.

An interesting observation could be possible with v.1, "Now upon the first [day] of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain [others] with them" (Luke 24 KJV). They brought spices with them they had prepared as well as "certain others with them". I am not sure how to delineate whether this means other persons or other spices. Something to look into further. What if these others were the other spices that were purchased? I don't think it has any implication one way or the other as shown above. I am just wondering why people assume this to mean other people and not other spices that would be purchased?

We all agree that the new day began and ended at sundown.
No. The sun has not necessarily gone down for it is evening and still light out. It is better to say the sun is going down, but not all the way yet.

You are making a very big assumption - that the market place was open after sundown. Do you have any evidence of this? Even as recent as the 1960's stores in the USA were NEVER open in the evening. And "good luck" trying to find a store open on Sundays! I think "Lawsons" was the first store open on Sundays and it then became the first of the 24 hr open stores. After the weekly sabbath day, the new day (Sunday) would have begun at sundown Saturday. The "night" portion of the day preceded the "daylight" portion of the day, and I would like to see any evidence that would show that the Markets were ever open at anytime other than the daylight hours.
I don't assume the market place was open after sundown, but that they simply bought the spices they needed after 6 p.m. when the sun could still be up or down. They seemed to immediately begin to work on the spices as much as they could without delay, then the Sabbaths came on one day, and they purchased what else they needed to put upon Jesus the spices near sun-up Sunday morning.

It is not materially important to discern whether the sun was up or down at the time when they purchased the spices.

What matters is they began to work on the spices immediately before the sabbath began at 6 p.m. Friday evening (which the sun is likely still up, but going down) and then purchased what else they needed after the sabbath, likely as soon as possible, even possibly making arrangements to do so personally with someone without working mind you in making such an arrangement. Picture them in discussion with someone during the Sabbath to make a purchase at a friends house of spices. This would not be construed as work, but simple discussion for surely people are allowed to speak to each other on the Sabbath.

Now if the sabbaths were on different days the Scriptures might easily have been more explicit to that effect with a simple turn of the phrase somewhere; but since there is not one iota to suggest this delineation and the contrary point regarding Mary's immediate work with the spices show it not possible, we can only conclude in the humblest way in which we should keep the same day for the sabbaths. Someone might do calendar work to find the year Jesus died by showing that year in Nissan would concur with the sabbaths being on the same day.

If God were to ask me my best guess given what has been discussed, I would have to say that the more unassuming and humble position would be to believe that the sabbaths were on the same day given the immediacy of preserving the body of Jesus Christ without delay.

In your cause I would not even overassume even a purchase at a store since no shop is mentioned. The barter system was very common without needing formal stores like your attempted comparison in the 1990's in America.

If the women prepared the spices on the same day that Jesus died, how much time would they have had to prepare them?

..Jesus died about the 9th hour of the day (3pm).
..Jesus is buried by Joseph of Arimathea before sundown, without spices and ointments.
..The women saw how Joseph laid Jesus in the tomb and concluded that they would have to come back at a later time and bury him properly, with spices and ointments.
..They obviously did not see Nicodemus come by later with about 100 pounds of ointments and properly bury Jesus.

Maybe the women just wanted to make their contribution irrespective of the 100 pounds of ointments by Nicodemus. Maybe they knew of Nicodemus, maybe not. Does it matter one way or the other?

How long do you think it would take to prepare 100 pounds of ointments so that they could be used to bury someone? These women would have had LESS than 1 hour (at best) to get in their car, speed to the nearest Walmart, locate the spices and ointments they would need, check-out (no doubt at that late hour the checkout lanes would have been pretty crowded with all the last minute purchases being made before the Holyday ... ever shop around Christmas time?), then load all their purchases in the SUV, fight the traffic, and finally get home in time to prepare 100 pounds of spices and ointments...."tongue-in-cheek"... continued... Have you ever cooked a 100 pound turkey? The biggest birds are usually 20 pounds or so (most are in the teens I think) and they take ..H..O..U..R..S.. to prepare, ...these women had to prepare the equivalent of several huge turkeys - it would take a very long time.
If "Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound [weight]" (John 19.39), would come this quickly would not the women come as equally quickly? I think so. Women would be even more sensitive about such things. They would not wait inordinately no matter how much spice it took. Besides there were several women at work preparing the spicies so needing extra time to complete the task is not a likely scenario. Spices were readily available for this is how to preserve things. Several families could combine their total spice supplies to prepare.

Your timing is wrong. They had 3 hours, not one hour. Jesus died at 3 p.m. 6 p.m. was the sabbath. And even so, notice that Nicodemus did his work with th spices on the Sabbath, so we may conclude the women may in part used a few of those hours for this important act because Jesus taught doing things on the Sabbath is acceptable if done for the right reason. This would seem very reasonable. And fortunately gathering spices is a simple as 3 or 4 women agreeing to bring them together within the hour, leaving two hours to spare. No busy lanes, no getting in your car and driving miles. No stuffing. Just as quickly as Nicodemus could round up 100 pounds of spices; the women could surely muster much less than that together. However, they took the Sabbath off, nonetheless, and purchased a few pounds Saturday evening (perhaps from a friend) to go to the tomb Sunday morning with all the spices. Nicodemus sets the precedence of how quickly the work can be done so in this regard, the Scriptures would disagree with your position. If Nicodemus can do it, so could several women! Perhaps they even worked together. Who knows, who can say? But it is not out of the ordinary that believers would work together icognito. However I assume nothing, and respect the timing and quickness Nicodemus showed. The women had even more time to do the same work because Nicodemus only began to move at night whereas the women began to work immediately to do what they had to do.

Have I painted the picture for you? Even without cars, the place was PACKED with people and transportation animals - it was PASSOVER. That means CROWDS!!! EVERYONE was in Jerusalem, literally! The women would not have had time to prepare their spices and ointments between the time they left the tomb and sundown, and therefore would not have started something they knowingly could not have finished; not with Passover only moments from beginning.
This is a silly argument that people could not walk because they would be blocked from walking. If Nicodemus could do it, so could the Mary's. If it wasn't a sin for Nicodemus, then it was most apt for the women.

Notice how quickly the women responded, "And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments" (Luke 23.56) immediately after seeing "how his body was laid" (v.55). This is not a complicated twenty pound turkey needing to be stuffed and put in the oven. No! It is simply the gathering of spices, preparing them simply.

The immediacy by which Nicodemus moved accentuates the immediacy of how the women moved for they would have begun to move even quicker than he did because they were so close to Jesus.

It is wrong of you to say they "would not have started something they knowingly could not have finished". They acted just as promptly as Nicodemus did. It is very rude to wait a whole extra day to administer the spices and ointments. They had all day Friday you said, and yet they didn't go and administer the spices? Surely you can not believe this.

Your argument is dead in the water. I think we should explore the reason why you say NO to questions two and three regarding the Trinity and the distinction of God's 3 Persons in the Godhead which you reject. This would not be Christian. And indeed, most disconcerting for you.

It makes perfect sense. They would not have had time to even begin to prepare their spices on Wednesday. After the day of Passover (after Thursday which would then be Friday) they went shopping. They purchased spices and ointments and brought them home. Then they spent all day Friday preparing those spices and ointments, just like it says they did in Luke 23:56 and Mark 16:1. Then, after preparing them, they rested the sabbath day (Saturday, the 7th day of the week) according to the commandment.
They had time. If Nicodemus had time all by himself, starting after the women did, surely several women had the time. They would have had all day Friday under your scenario. And knowing another sabbath was coming, they most certainly would have done it on Friday, so this proves then that Jesus could not have died on Wednesday and they had the spices prepared within just a couple hours after Jesus died just as Nicodemus could do it in even less time.

Luke 23.56 and Mark 16.1 don't say they are sinning taking all day, nor does it say they went shopping. You are trying to relate shopping malls of today to then. It doesn't work. They are not shopping for a party. They quickly could have gone to a friend to make a purchase since everyone had spice. They only needed a little extra as they prepared most already. There is no mention of shopping.

I am realizing this conversation is getting really dull, and do not wish to exchange your rationalizations further. You will not repent that much is clear, and you will not repent from rejecting the Trinity of the Godhead: the 3 Persons of God the Father, God the Son and God the Spirit. This is your sin against God and your rejection of a long-standing acceptance that Jesus died on Friday for well thought out reasons.

You do not have the humility to humble yourself to when Jesus actually died, since you don't even have the humility to accept the Trinity. I for one do not need to hear your hostility to God against the Trinity; nor do I need to hear how much more you can overassume your rationalizations, so you are banned. You are not a Christian since you can not even accept the Trinity of God's 3 Persons.

Also, the local govt. had "sealed" the sepulchre with a large stone, and placed guards at the entrance on Thursday. This also would have been a deterant to the women.
The guards were placed on Saturday, since Jesus did not die until after Thursday. Jesus was captured on Thursday. This is how He is in the earthly Israel's possession for 3 days and 3 nights since the earth represents Israel. The sea represents not Israel, but the nations.

The women were fearless for Christ, so a large stone or guards are no deterrent to these women for it is they who go to the tomb as a testimony for the the Lord's sake. Cave entrance stones and guards have no bearing on anything. How silly.

Your rationalizations are getting lamer and lamer as sin will beget sin in overassuming. Sometimes I ban people not because they are being belligerent and obstinate per se, as much as lost in themselves in their own rationalizations. I would not want to be the cause of your further mental gymnastics to excite your flesh further. Since you are not a Christian, this will help you drop your rationalizing, and help lead you to Christ.

Yes, assuming nothing.
People can say not to assume, but they still assume. What comes out of your mouth is not matching your actual behavior.

Churchwork
01-28-2006, 06:18 PM
If you could still not reason this out, know this. Because Mary and Martha had experience with their brother Lazarus who died (John 11.1-3), they knew the body rots very quickly. Mary would not have waited 3 days to give Jesus the spice after He died. This should be reason enough for us to accept the fact that Jesus died on Friday.

"Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been [dead] four days" (John 11.39).

The Lost
01-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Sunday... because no one can stand a monday morning

In all honesty i do not believe the day he died would be in any way important. Why he died, that is what i believe is important.

Churchwork
01-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Sunday... because no one can stand a monday morning

In all honesty i do not believe the day he died would be in any way important. Why he died, that is what i believe is important.

On the surface, this is all you see, but when you look deeper, the day he died is important, because it changes the day of resurrection possibly attempting to destroy the Lord's day which is the 8th day, the day of resurrection and also the first day of the week.

The Word is set up that it proves the day He died as proven in this thread, which we know to be 3 p.m. on Friday.

This is a spiritual test. Those who are in Christ who hear others claiming all kinds of bizarre times and days when they think Jesus died indicates to us their lack of spirituality and/or unregeneration because they are overassuming from their selfish center without basis. This is a lack of humility.

Yourself not being a Christian is also puffed up because you attempt to have an opinion on the Word of God when you do not even have quickened spirit to understand the Word of God as 1 Corinthians 2.13 (RSV) states.