PDA

View Full Version : Philip and Apollos

Churchwork
04-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Do you think Apollos was an Apostle (not one of the 12) or an Evangelist?

I believe he was an Apostle, subsequent to the 12 Apostles, because he travelled to give the gospel.

Philip is different. What I believe is that though he travelled also and gave the gospel until he got to Caesarea (Acts 8.4-40), it seems as though his destination as an evangelist was for the locality of Caesarea, and not the work of a regional Apostle like Apollos.

The work of an evangelist is for a location, not a televion station or region of churches. The work of an Apostle is for a region of churches, not cable stations or particular location.

His
04-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Do you think Apollos was an Apostle (not one of the 12) or an Evangelist?
He wasn't an Apostle

I believe he was an Apostle, subsequent to the 12 Apostles, because he travelled to give the gospel.

Philip is different. What I believe is that though he travelled also and gave the gospel until he got to Caesarea (Acts 8.4-40), it seems as though his destination as an evangelist was for the locality of Caesarea, and not the work of a regional Apostle like Apollos.
The Apostles had a sensory experience unique to them that no other believer experienced. They SAW the Lord and were commisioned directly!

Churchwork
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Self-declarations are not useful here, but give your reason, for this is considerate and conscientious. We do this because we are selfless. Why would you not accept Apollos as an Apostle? He exhibited all the characteristics of travelling, speaking, setting up and strengthening the churches after Priscilla and Aquila spoke to Him about the full gospel. Some even said they were of Apollos while others said they were of Cephas, placing Apollos on the same level as Peter the Apostle.

The experience the apostles had was God revealed to them in their spirit the Work of an Aposle to set up the churches and appoint Elders of a locality.

Philip (not the Apostle but the Evangelist) seemed to stay at Caesarea, and the work of an evangelist is local primarily, so he would be an Evangelist.

Sensory experience is of the outer man while the intuition of the spirit is of the inner man.