PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Death in the Teachings of Proverbs

InTruth
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
The Teaching of Proverbs

The Proverbs is a book about the believer’s practical daily walk. It teaches much on the ways of keeping one’s life. We shall center our attention around its instruction concerning the way to overcome death.

“My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and abundant welfare will they give you” (3.1-2)

“It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones” (3.8)

“Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments, and live” (4.4)

“Hear, my son, and accept my words, that the years of your life maybe many” (4.10)

“Keep hold of instruction, do not let go; guard her, for she is your life” (4.13)

“For (my words) are life to him who finds them, and healing to all his flesh” (4.22)

“Keep your heart with all vigilance; for from it flow the springs of life” (4.23)

“He who commits adultery has no sense; he who does it destroys himself” (6.32)

“He who finds (wisdom) finds life and obtains favor from the Lord” (8.35)

By (wisdom) your days will be multiplied, and years will be added to your life” (9.11)

“Righteousness delivers from death” (10.2)

“The fear of the Lord prolongs life, but the years of the wicked will be short” (10.27)

“In the path of righteousness is life, but the way of error leads to death” (12.28)

“The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may avoid the snares of death” (14.27)

“A tranquil mind gives life to the flesh, but passion makes the bones rot” (14.30)

“The wise man’s path leads upward to life, that he may avoid Sheol beneath” (15.24)

“He who ignores instruction despises himself” (15.32)

“In the light of a king’s face there is life” (16.15)

“He who guards his way preserves his life” (16.17)

“He who keeps the commandment keeps his life; he who despises the word will die” (19.16)

“The fear of the Lord leads to life” (19.23)

“The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a fleeting vapor and a snare of death” (21.6)

“A man who wanders from the way of understanding will rest in the assembly of the dead” (21.16)

“He who pursues righteousness and kindness will find life and honor” (21.21)

As the Spirit of God leads us to overcome death we discover new meanings to these verses. We are accustomed to viewing “life” as a kind of terminology. But when we have been enlightened we begin to realize our physical life shall be extended if we fulfill God’s conditions. And contrariwise, should we disobey these commandments our life shall gradually fade away. For instance, God exhorts you to “honor your father and mother that it may be well with you and that you may live long on the earth” (Eph. 6.2-3). Now if we disobey, our years on earth shall be cut short by sin. God wishes us to hearken to His words, to possess wisdom, to seek righteousness and to keep our hearts, that we lose not our life. If we would have life we must learn to obey.