PDA

View Full Version : Daniel B. Wallace vs. Bart D. Erhman - Can We Trust the Text of the New Testament?

James
09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I would love to go to this debate on Oct 1, 2011. Maybe I can get a hold of it later or someone can email me a link or post a copy of it here on this site.

Daniel B. Wallace is a leading scholar on textual criticism - a whole science onto itself. He's read all the earliest dated still surviving papyri of the NT - a few from the first century and at least 15 from the 2nd century.

He shows how the earliest texts we have on record fully support how the disciples themselves reported they were in various group settings and reported that they truly believed they saw Jesus alive from the dead in those various group settings after he died. And that they set up the churches based on their eyewitness testimony.

But of course, group hallucinations are impossible and people don't willingly die for what they know is a lie as they were all martyred except for John who was imprisoned. In other words, they did not give a different account or recant that could have saved their lives when about to be put to death. The early church fathers testify to this in multiple sources.

http://www.friendsofcsntm.com/smudebate/