PDA

View Full Version : Confession

CatholicCrusader
07-16-2011, 01:52 PM
>>>>

The following is a post I posted in another forum a few months ago:

(BEGIN)

Okay. In another thread I was asked about the Sacrament of Confession and I said I would start a thread.

As with some of my threads on Baptism, it is important to understand the wider issue of what a Sacrament itself actually is. I will get into that too. But for now I am going to begin with these four points about Confession:

1. Why do I have to go to a priest for confession instead of going straight to God? After all, the Bible says that "there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 2:5).

The Lord does want us to come to him when we fall into sin. He wants to bring us forgiveness so much that he gave the apostles the power to forgive sins. This power given to the apostles and their successors does not come from within them but from God. Throughout the New Testament, Jesus gave the apostles authority over unclean spirits, the authority to heal, the authority to raise people from the dead, et cetera. No Christian assumes that these powers came from the men themselves, since God is the one that has chosen to use them to manifest his power and mercy.

In the words of Paul, "All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation" (2 Cor. 5:18). The apostles and their successors are merely ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor. 5:20), bringing his forgiveness to the world through the sacraments and the message of the gospel. If God has chosen to bring his message of forgiveness to the world by means of sinful, human ambassadors, why would he not be able to give these messengers the power to forgive and retain sins? And why would this not be a natural way for Jesus to extent his merciful presence on earth for all generations?

If Jesus has set up a way for us to draw near to him and receive his grace, why should we prefer another route? We would be like the three-year-old with his father who, in a rush to get home from the store, begins to run. "Let me pick you up," the father offers. The child says, "No, Dad. I’m fast. Just watch me." It takes them much longer to get home because the child’s pride prevents him from accepting his father’s help. Likewise, God does hear us when we ask for forgiveness, but it is dangerous and often prideful to stay away from what the saints call the "medicine box"—the confessional. Why would a person wish to overcome their sins alone when they have the God-given power of the apostles’ successors at their disposal?

2. Where is the sacrament of confession in the Bible?

As soon as Jesus rose from the dead and earned salvation for us, he brought his apostles a new gift. After speaking peace to them, he said, "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you" (John 20:21). Just as Jesus was sent by the Father to reconcile the world to God, Jesus sent the apostles to continue his mission.

Jesus then breathed on the apostles. This is a verse that is often passed over, but it has extraordinary significance because it is only the second time in all of Scripture where God breathes on anyone. The other instance was at the moment of creation, when God breathed his own life into the nostrils of Adam. This should tell us that something of great importance is taking place. Upon doing this, Jesus said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:22–23).

Notice that Jesus is not simply commissioning the apostles to preach about God’s forgiveness. He is not saying, "Go tell everyone that when God forgives men’s sins, they’re forgiven." In using the second person plural you, Jesus is telling his apostles that by the power of the Holy Spirit he has given them the power to forgive and retain the sins of men. Having the power to forgive and to retain sins implies that the apostle knows what a person’s sins are, which in turn implies oral confession. Otherwise, how is the apostle to know what to retain or forgive?

In the same way that Jesus gave his apostles other supernatural powers (such as raising men from the dead), he gave them power to absolve sins (raising them from spiritual death). In Matthew 9, we read that Jesus forgave a paralytic and then healed him so "that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Matt. 9:6)

After he exercised this power as a man, the crowds glorified God for having given "such authority to men" (Matt. 9:8, emphasis added). Notice that Matthew indicates this power to forgive sins had been given to men, and not simply to a man.

3. Doesn’t confession of one’s sins imply that Christ’s work was insufficient? The Bible says that if I believe that Jesus is Lord, I’ll be saved.

The passage you referred to is Acts 16:31, which reads, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved." Sounds pretty simple. However, the Bible says much more about salvation and forgiveness. Jesus repeatedly affirmed that if we do not forgive others, we will not be forgiven (Matt. 6:15). When Jesus breathed on the apostles in John 20, he gave them the power to retain sins. But if one’s salvation is contingent upon nothing other than a verbal profession of faith, then there is no reason why Jesus would given any man the power to retain sins. In the midst of all of these passages what we need to be careful of is that we do not camp out on one particular Bible passage without consulting the rest of Scripture.

It is because of the work of Christ that we obtain forgiveness. All Christians can agree on that. What needs to be discussed is how that forgiveness comes to mankind. When Ananias spoke to Paul in Acts 22:16, he said, "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins" (Acts 22:16). Later in the New Testament, the forgiveness of sins is tied to the sacrament of the anointing of the sick (James 5:13–15). Just as these Biblical practices are channels of God’s forgiving grace, the sacrament of confession does not add to or take away from the finished work of Christ. It is evidence of the finished work of Christ in our midst.

4. How can Catholics claim confession to a priest is an apostolic tradition? I heard it was invented in 1215 at the Fourth Lateran Council.

What you heard probably came from the anti-Catholic book Roman Catholicism by Loraine Boettner. This book is well known for its inaccurate history, and the reference you gave is a primary example. During the Fourth Lateran Council, the Church reminded the faithful in an official way what had already been the ancient practice of the Church—to confess mortal sins at least once a year. In no way was this the initiation of a new sacrament or even a new way to celebrate an old sacrament. If the Church did initiate the sacrament of reconciliation in 1215, why were there no cries at the time of invention? The obvious answer is no one objected because they were aware that the sacrament was over a millennium old at the time of the Council.

Consider the following early Christian writings from the first five centuries:

"Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache 4:14, 14:1 [A.D. 70]).

"[Regarding confession, some] flee from this work as being an exposure of themselves, or they put it off from day to day. I presume they are more mindful of modesty than of salvation, like those who contract a disease in the more shameful parts of the body and shun making themselves known to the physicians; and thus they perish along with their own bashfulness"(Tertullian, Repentance 10:1 [A.D. 203]).

"[The bishop conducting the ordination of the new bishop shall pray:] God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . pour forth now that power which comes from you, from your royal spirit, which you gave to your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and which he bestowed upon his holy apostles . . . and grant this your servant, whom you have chosen for the episcopate, [the power] to feed your holy flock and to serve without blame as your high priest . . . and by the Spirit of the high-priesthood to have the authority to forgive sins, in accord with your command" (Hippolytus, Apostolic Tradition 3 [A.D. 215]).

"Priests have received a power which God has given neither to angels nor to archangels. It was said to them: ‘Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose, shall be loosed.’ Temporal rulers have indeed the power of binding; but they can only bind the body. Priests, in contrast, can bind with a bond which pertains to the soul itself and transcends the very heavens. Did [God] not give them all the powers of heaven? ‘Whose sins you shall forgive,’ he says, ‘they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.’ What greater power is there than this? The Father has given all judgment to the Son. And now I see the Son placing all this power in the hands of men" (John Chrysostom, The Priesthood 3:5 [A.D. 387]).

Nottheworld
07-17-2011, 01:20 AM
>>>>

(BEGIN)

Okay. In another thread I was asked about the Sacrament of Confession and I said I would start a thread.

As with some of my threads on Baptism, it is important to understand the wider issue of what a Sacrament itself actually is. I will get into that too. But for now I am going to begin with these four points about Confession:

1. Why do I have to go to a priest for confession instead of going straight to God? After all, the Bible says that "there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 2:5).

The Lord does want us to come to him when we fall into sin. He wants to bring us forgiveness so much that he gave the apostles the power to forgive sins. This power given to the apostles and their successors does not come from within them but from God. Throughout the New Testament, Jesus gave the apostles authority over unclean spirits, the authority to heal, the authority to raise people from the dead, et cetera. No Christian assumes that these powers came from the men themselves, since God is the one that has chosen to use them to manifest his power and mercy.

In the words of Paul, "All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation" (2 Cor. 5:18). The apostles and their successors are merely ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor. 5:20), bringing his forgiveness to the world through the sacraments and the message of the gospel. If God has chosen to bring his message of forgiveness to the world by means of sinful, human ambassadors, why would he not be able to give these messengers the power to forgive and retain sins? And why would this not be a natural way for Jesus to extent his merciful presence on earth for all generations?

If Jesus has set up a way for us to draw near to him and receive his grace, why should we prefer another route? We would be like the three-year-old with his father who, in a rush to get home from the store, begins to run. "Let me pick you up," the father offers. The child says, "No, Dad. I’m fast. Just watch me." It takes them much longer to get home because the child’s pride prevents him from accepting his father’s help. Likewise, God does hear us when we ask for forgiveness, but it is dangerous and often prideful to stay away from what the saints call the "medicine box"—the confessional. Why would a person wish to overcome their sins alone when they have the God-given power of the apostles’ successors at their disposal?
Only God can forgive sins. If we were to assume temporarily for the moment the Roman Church has no false teachings, there is no Scripture for intermediary priesthood and confessionals. This is not to say a Christian can't go to a Christian worker for advice and even acknowledge his sin in that discussion, but confessional booths and thinking forgiveness can be achieved through man is fool-hardy as evident by the fact in this post no evidence is given for said claim. Man is always trying to do what only God can do. Why accept a lesser substitute? While the Roman Church calls it a sin to stay away from the booths, a Christian realizes those booths need to be torn down. This is how you turn God's redemptive design into a legalism. It is dangerous to access intermediary priesthood and prideful for men to think they have such power to forgive sins. The Pharisees tried to kill Jesus because He was forgiving sins, for even they knew only God could forgive sins. Believe the fact that the priests of the Roman church are unsaved and going to Hell. They are not showing you are more efficacious route but they are showing you the path to a sure fire way to Hell because they are exalting themselves for financial gain and control. I prefer to view forgiveness as it actually is,

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/forgiveness-4_kinds.htm

As soon as Jesus rose from the dead and earned salvation for us, he brought his apostles a new gift. After speaking peace to them, he said, "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you" (John 20:21). Just as Jesus was sent by the Father to reconcile the world to God, Jesus sent the apostles to continue his mission.

Jesus then breathed on the apostles. This is a verse that is often passed over, but it has extraordinary significance because it is only the second time in all of Scripture where God breathes on anyone. The other instance was at the moment of creation, when God breathed his own life into the nostrils of Adam. This should tell us that something of great importance is taking place. Upon doing this, Jesus said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:22–23).

Notice that Jesus is not simply commissioning the apostles to preach about God’s forgiveness. He is not saying, "Go tell everyone that when God forgives men’s sins, they’re forgiven." In using the second person plural you, Jesus is telling his apostles that by the power of the Holy Spirit he has given them the power to forgive and retain the sins of men. Having the power to forgive and to retain sins implies that the apostle knows what a person’s sins are, which in turn implies oral confession. Otherwise, how is the apostle to know what to retain or forgive?

In the same way that Jesus gave his apostles other supernatural powers (such as raising men from the dead), he gave them power to absolve sins (raising them from spiritual death). In Matthew 9, we read that Jesus forgave a paralytic and then healed him so "that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Matt. 9:6)

After he exercised this power as a man, the crowds glorified God for having given "such authority to men" (Matt. 9:8, emphasis added). Notice that Matthew indicates this power to forgive sins had been given to men, and not simply to a man.
Jesus never gave Christians the power to absolve sins. Only Jesus can do that! For a man to think that he is already lost in arrogance and pomp. You totally misread Matt. 9.8. Jesus is that man, not men. That they mistook by saying, "given such authority to men" as if others could do what Jesus did is a grave mistake. What they should have said is, "they praised God for sending a man with such great authority" (NLT). Only God can forgive sins.

Many times God Himself says, "I forgive you!" Sometimes, though, He declares His forgiveness through the church: "God has forgiven your sins!" This kind of forgiveness we term borrowed forgiveness. "And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Spirit: whose soever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained" (John 20:22-23). Here the Lord gives His Holy Spirit to the church so that she may represent Him on earth and be His vessel to forgive people’s sins. Though we call this borrowed forgiveness, we need to exercise extreme care lest we fall into the error of the Roman Catholic church. Notice what the Lord said. The forgiveness here is based on the Lord’s breathing upon the church, saying, "Receive ye the Holy Spirit." The consequence of receiving the Holy Spirit is that the church knows whose sins are retained and whose are forgiven. Thus the church may declare whose sins are retained and whose sins are forgiven. Remember this: the church has such authority only because she herself is under the authority of the Holy Spirit. "Whose soever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained"—these words come after "Receive ye the Holy Spirit." Borrowed forgiveness is God forgiving people’s sins through the channel of the church.

The Church is not actually forgiving sins from themselves, but acknowledging in a spirit of discernment, recognizing whose sins are forgiven. This is not the same thing as intermediary priesthood, where the priest forgive sins. It's amazing I know this and you don't, and I am just a lowly Christian.

Sacraments are legalisms, taking what is life and twisting them for the sake of power-structure control system that goes outside God's provision.

3. Doesn’t confession of one’s sins imply that Christ’s work was insufficient? The Bible says that if I believe that Jesus is Lord, I’ll be saved.

The passage you referred to is Acts 16:31, which reads, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved." Sounds pretty simple. However, the Bible says much more about salvation and forgiveness. Jesus repeatedly affirmed that if we do not forgive others, we will not be forgiven (Matt. 6:15). When Jesus breathed on the apostles in John 20, he gave them the power to retain sins. But if one’s salvation is contingent upon nothing other than a verbal profession of faith, then there is no reason why Jesus would given any man the power to retain sins. In the midst of all of these passages what we need to be careful of is that we do not camp out on one particular Bible passage without consulting the rest of Scripture.

It is because of the work of Christ that we obtain forgiveness. All Christians can agree on that. What needs to be discussed is how that forgiveness comes to mankind. When Ananias spoke to Paul in Acts 22:16, he said, "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins" (Acts 22:16). Later in the New Testament, the forgiveness of sins is tied to the sacrament of the anointing of the sick (James 5:13–15). Just as these Biblical practices are channels of God’s forgiving grace, the sacrament of confession does not add to or take away from the finished work of Christ. It is evidence of the finished work of Christ in our midst.
The finished work of Christ is not adhered to when you think you can retain sins. The problem is you misunderstand what retaining sins means. It is not the Church retaining the sin as God would retain the sin, but the Church is recognizing the sin is retained by God. These two meanings of retaining sins are worlds apart.

4. How can Catholics claim confession to a priest is an apostolic tradition? I heard it was invented in 1215 at the Fourth Lateran Council.

What you heard probably came from the anti-Catholic book Roman Catholicism by Loraine Boettner. This book is well known for its inaccurate history, and the reference you gave is a primary example. During the Fourth Lateran Council, the Church reminded the faithful in an official way what had already been the ancient practice of the Church—to confess mortal sins at least once a year. In no way was this the initiation of a new sacrament or even a new way to celebrate an old sacrament. If the Church did initiate the sacrament of reconciliation in 1215, why were there no cries at the time of invention? The obvious answer is no one objected because they were aware that the sacrament was over a millennium old at the time of the Council.

"Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache 4:14, 14:1 [A.D. 70]).
There is nor requirement this be done in a confessional booth. This can be simply to oneself unto God or in a discussion with someone you again, confess, but orally to God. No confessional booths. Why no confessional booths? Because no intermediary priesthood. The 4 ways to Judaize Christianity are: 1) written codes (e.g. adding books to the Bible), 2) physical buildings, 3) earthly promises, (e.g. Rome), 4) intermediary priesthood (e.g. confessional booths).

"[Regarding confession, some] flee from this work as being an exposure of themselves, or they put it off from day to day. I presume they are more mindful of modesty than of salvation, like those who contract a disease in the more shameful parts of the body and shun making themselves known to the physicians; and thus they perish along with their own bashfulness"(Tertullian, Repentance 10:1 [A.D. 203]).
This has nothing to do with confessional booths and intermediary priesthood. Confession is to God and if the Lord leads you to discuss with an Elder of Pastor.

"[The bishop conducting the ordination of the new bishop shall pray:] God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . pour forth now that power which comes from you, from your royal spirit, which you gave to your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and which he bestowed upon his holy apostles . . . and grant this your servant, whom you have chosen for the episcopate, [the power] to feed your holy flock and to serve without blame as your high priest . . . and by the Spirit of the high-priesthood to have the authority to forgive sins, in accord with your command" (Hippolytus, Apostolic Tradition 3 [A.D. 215]).
If by "authority to forgive sins" he meant borrowed forgiveness then I approve; but if it is according to how you teach that the man is actually forgiving sins then I reject such man-made forgiveness in the name the Father, Son, Spirit. A worker for the Church should dilenate what kind of forgiveness this is and whence it comes from since it does come from the person himself.

"Priests have received a power which God has given neither to angels nor to archangels. It was said to them: ‘Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose, shall be loosed.’ Temporal rulers have indeed the power of binding; but they can only bind the body. Priests, in contrast, can bind with a bond which pertains to the soul itself and transcends the very heavens. Did [God] not give them all the powers of heaven? ‘Whose sins you shall forgive,’ he says, ‘they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.’ What greater power is there than this? The Father has given all judgment to the Son. And now I see the Son placing all this power in the hands of men" (John Chrysostom, The Priesthood 3:5 [A.D. 387]).
Every Christian is a royal priesthood, so there is not some Christians who are priests and some who are not. There is no cleric and laity found in the Bible.

Nottheworld
07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
>>>>

(BEGIN)

Only God can forgive sins. If we were to assume temporarily for the moment the Roman Church has no false teachings, there is no Scripture for intermediary priesthood and confessionals. This is not to say a Christian can't go to a Christian worker for advice and even acknowledge his sin in that discussion, but confessional booths and thinking forgiveness can be achieved through man is fool-hardy as evident by the fact in this post no evidence is given for said claim. Man is always trying to do what only God can do. Why accept a lesser substitute? While the Roman Church calls it a sin to stay away from the booths, a Christian realizes those booths need to be torn down. This is how you turn God's redemptive design into a legalism. It is dangerous to access intermediary priesthood and prideful for men to think they have such power to forgive sins. The Pharisees tried to kill Jesus because He was forgiving sins, for even they knew only God could forgive sins. Believe the fact that the priests of the Roman church are unsaved and going to Hell. They are not showing you are more efficacious route but they are showing you the path to a sure fire way to Hell because they are exalting themselves for financial gain and control. I prefer to view forgiveness as it actually is,

Jesus never gave Christians the power to absolve sins. Only Jesus can do that! For a man to think that he is already lost in arrogance and pomp. You totally misread Matt. 9.8. Jesus is that man, not men. That they mistook by saying, "given such authority to men" as if others could do what Jesus did is a grave mistake. What they should have said is, "they praised God for sending a man with such great authority" (NLT). Only God can forgive sins.

Many times God Himself says, "I forgive you!" Sometimes, though, He declares His forgiveness through the church: "God has forgiven your sins!" This kind of forgiveness we term borrowed forgiveness. "And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Spirit: whose soever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained" (John 20:22-23). Here the Lord gives His Holy Spirit to the church so that she may represent Him on earth and be His vessel to forgive people’s sins. Though we call this borrowed forgiveness, we need to exercise extreme care lest we fall into the error of the Roman Catholic church. Notice what the Lord said. The forgiveness here is based on the Lord’s breathing upon the church, saying, "Receive ye the Holy Spirit." The consequence of receiving the Holy Spirit is that the church knows whose sins are retained and whose are forgiven. Thus the church may declare whose sins are retained and whose sins are forgiven. Remember this: the church has such authority only because she herself is under the authority of the Holy Spirit. "Whose soever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained"—these words come after "Receive ye the Holy Spirit." Borrowed forgiveness is God forgiving people’s sins through the channel of the church.

The Church is not actually forgiving sins from themselves, but acknowledging in a spirit of discernment, recognizing whose sins are forgiven. This is not the same thing as intermediary priesthood, where the priest forgive sins. It's amazing I know this and you don't, and I am just a lowly Christian.

Sacraments are legalisms, taking what is life and twisting them for the sake of power-structure control system that goes outside God's provision.

The finished work of Christ is not adhered to when you think you can retain sins. The problem is you misunderstand what retaining sins means. It is not the Church retaining the sin as God would retain the sin, but the Church is recognizing the sin is retained by God. These two meanings of retaining sins are worlds apart.

There is nor requirement this be done in a confessional booth. This can be simply to oneself unto God or in a discussion with someone you again, confess, but orally to God. No confessional booths. Why no confessional booths? Because no intermediary priesthood. The 4 ways to Judaize Christianity are: 1) written codes (e.g. adding books to the Bible), 2) physical buildings, 3) earthly promises, (e.g. Rome), 4) intermediary priesthood (e.g. confessional booths).

This has nothing to do with confessional booths and intermediary priesthood. Confession is to God and if the Lord leads you to discuss with an Elder of Pastor.

If by "authority to forgive sins" he meant borrowed forgiveness then I approve; but if it is according to how you teach that the man is actually forgiving sins then I reject such man-made forgiveness in the name the Father, Son, Spirit. A worker for the Church should dilenate what kind of forgiveness this is and whence it comes from since it does come from the person himself.

Every Christian is a royal priesthood, so there is not some Christians who are priests and some who are not. There is no cleric and laity found in the Bible.

CatholicCrusader
07-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Only God can forgive sins.

Well, thank you for quoting the Catechism of the Catholic Church verbatum. You must own a Catechism, because that's exactly what it says. And I quote:

Only God forgives sin

1441 Only God forgives sins. Since he is the Son of God, Jesus says of himself, "The Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" and exercises this divine power: "Your sins are forgiven." Further, by virtue of his divine authority he gives this power to men to exercise in his name.

1442 Christ has willed that in her prayer and life and action his whole Church should be the sign and instrument of the forgiveness and reconciliation that he acquired for us at the price of his blood. But he entrusted the exercise of the power of absolution to the apostolic ministry which he charged with the "ministry of reconciliation." The apostle is sent out "on behalf of Christ" with "God making his appeal" through him and pleading: "Be reconciled to God."

Jesus never gave Christians the power to absolve sins..

That's not what the Bible says. God had sent Jesus to forgive sins, but after his resurrection Jesus told the apostles, "‘As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained’" (John 20:21–23).

All pardon for sins ultimately comes from Christ’s finished work on Calvary, but how is this pardon received by individuals? Did Christ leave us any means within the Church to take away sin? The Bible says he gave us two means.

Baptism was given to take away the sin inherited from Adam (original sin) and any sins we personally committed before baptism—sins we personally commit are called actual sins, because they come from our own acts. Thus on the day of Pentecost, Peter told the crowds, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38), and when Paul was baptized he was told, "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name" (Acts 22:16). And so Peter later wrote, "Baptism . . . now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet. 3:21).

For sins committed after baptism, a different sacrament is needed. It has been called penance, confession, and reconciliation, each word emphasizing one of its.aspects. During his life, Christ forgave sins, as in the case of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:1–11) and the woman who anointed his feet (Luke 7:48). He exercised this power in his human capacity as the Messiah or Son of man, telling us, "the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Matt. 9:6), which is why the Gospel writer himself explains that God "had given such authority to men" (Matt. 9:8).

Since he would not always be with the Church visibly, Christ gave this power to other men so the Church, which is the continuation of his presence throughout time (Matt. 28:20), would be able to offer forgiveness to future generations. He gave his power to the apostles, and it was a power that could be passed on to their successors and agents, since the apostles wouldn’t always be on earth either, but people would still be sinning.

You guys really need to read your Bibles.

Nottheworld
07-17-2011, 07:57 AM
You should not have a doubletongue claiming only God can forgive sins then saying man forgive sins. Only God can forgive sins. Period. Because Christians have received the Holy Spirit we can inform people if they have been forgiven when they might not realize it. There is no intermediary priesthood. Every saint is royal priesthood. There are no priests or clerics and laity in the body of Christ. You're sitting on the great harlot of religious Rome. It's only verdict is utter destruction. Before 2020 a nuclear bomb-a dirty bomb-will blow up the Vatican. God allows Satan to do this, and Satan does this because religious Rome uses the name of Christ though worshiping a false Christ. That which is born of the flesh is flesh. Mary was born of the flesh so she has sinned. The Roman Church makes Mary sinless to gather women into its church for the effectively Quaternity at the same time while being abusive to women disallowing them in the ministry of Roman Catholicism. Totally twisted!

Let us next consider the case of Paul. Ananias says to Paul, “Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on his name” (Acts 22:16).

Paul is universally accepted as the foremost teacher and prophet and apostle in Christianity. What if there were some flaw in his experience as well as in his teaching? He is told not to tarry but to arise and be baptized. Why? To wash away his sins. The Roman Catholic Church errs here in changing this verse into a personal experience before God. They fail to see that this Scripture deals with the question of the world. Consequently they baptize dying people in order to wash away their sins. They do not recognize that baptism is related to the world instead of to God. But Protestants equally err in attempting to hide the verse.

Being formerly a person of the world, Paul, now that he has both believed and seen the Lord Jesus, should arise and be baptized. Thus baptized, his sins are washed away, for he has severed his relationship with the world. If one becomes a Christian secretly without being baptized, the world will still consider him one of its own. The believer may say he is saved, but the world will not accept his statement. Not until he is baptized does he compel the world to see his salvation. Who would be so foolish as to go into the water unless there were a good reason for it? Yes, as soon as a Christian is baptized he is freed from the world. Hence this water is linked to the world.

The world will still reckon a person one of its own if he does not give an outward expression of his inward faith. But let him be baptized, and he will immediately be known as having left the world. Consequently, baptism is the best way of separation. Through baptism the believer declares to the entire world that he has severed his relationship with it and has come out of it.

CatholicCrusader
07-17-2011, 05:52 PM
You should not have a doubletongue claiming only God can forgive sins then saying man forgive sins..........

And you should not falsely acuse me. God forgives sins THROUGH men. A little more reading and a little less ranting would do you a world of good.

But let me ask you a question: Do you believe in healings? Like when someone lays their hands on someone else and the other person is healed? Dpo you believe in that?

Because if you say "YES", then I ask you: Who does the healing: God? .. or the person laying on the hands?

The answer is: God. But God is working THROUGH the person who is laying on the hands.

Are you catching my drift here? Or are you going to rant again?

Nottheworld
07-17-2011, 06:12 PM
And you should not falsely acuse me. God forgives sins THROUGH men. A little more reading and a little less ranting would do you a world of good.

But let me ask you a question: Do you believe in healings? Like when someone lays their hands on someone else and the other person is healed? Dpo you believe in that?

Because if you say "YES", then I ask you: Who does the healing: God? .. or the person laying on the hands?

The answer is: God. But God is working THROUGH the person who is laying on the hands.

Are you catching my drift here? Or are you going to rant again?
God does not forgive sins through men. He forgives men directly. Christians because we have the Holy Spirit can confirm when a person is forgiven (of course, we need to be discerning), but no intermediary priesthood. None needed. None called for. None found in the NT. The veil is rent and we all come to God directly. Since you can find no Scripture to support your view of intermediary priesthood, then you are obviously finding ways to insert into the text. But you don't have the humility to repent from doing this because you are locked into your bad habits.

I believe in laying on of hands, but the whole point of the old dispensation is the intermediary priesthood was temporary. Hence, now all believers are a royal priesthood. If everyone who is saved is a royal priesthood then it stands to reason logically that there is no intermediary priesthood where some are and some aren't. Healing by laying on of hands or prayers is not God healing through men but man praying God's will and imparting God's will to others but it is not through men as it were. It is God doing it and man just acknowledging it. The Gospel is not given in that sense either by men but by God and men are just acknowledging it to others. Man is not saving anyone. And God is not saving anyone through man. God is saving only through His Son and by the Spirit.

You don't realize this but you are Judaizing Christianity. That's what the Roman church does. That's what it is good at, but it is not of God. I really wish you would come out of your comfort zone and try something new like read about the 4 kinds of forgiveness then we could have a two way conversation. I understand your position and I have explained why it is wrong, now try to see what I see by reading about the 4 kinds of forgiveness and really put on your thinking cap.