PDA

View Full Version : The Open Bible . . .

TDurden527
04-30-2011, 09:02 AM
"Do you believe in the Open Bible, that is, no one version has a monopoly, and we should consider all information (http://biblocality.com/forums/showthread.php?3599-KJV-is-the-Best-Version&p=7091) (Ps. 12.6-7) to 'prove all things' (1 Thess 5.21)?"

I request teaching regarding this statement. I marked this question "No"because I have seen a Bible, my brothers, that was, clearly, IMHO, a "fringe" edition quite unlike the accepted Bibles such as KJV. For instance, in one part of this Bible, there was list of things or offenses and the punishments that they should be subjected to. There was a list of about 8 things . . . and as I can recall (this was about 20 years ago) prostitution, homosexuality, sodomy, adultery, and other actions that are clearly sinful, but that I have never read of such a thing in all the other Bibles I've read and I've read completely through the Bible multiple times in multiple different editions.

So when I interpreted the question I answered with that experience in mind. How does one account for these types of Bibles in accepting the Bible as being Open.

Thank you and God bless.

Churchwork
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
I have no idea what other Bible you are talking about. Be more specific.

There are false bibles out there produced by JWs, Mormons, The Local Church, 7th Day Adventists and various other cults, but the Open Bible is one which does not say, for example, the KJV is best, for the KJV is not only old English but didn't even use most of the earliest Biblical texts. And since it has lots of errors, surely we can't say it is the best. The RSV, ASV and NLT are just as good or better in many ways.

"Prove all things"! I think the 5 main Bibles are KJV, RSV, ASV, NLT, ESV but we should not exalt one over the rest, otherwise we become biased and try to rationalize a particular rendering when it is wrong.

brynijumar
05-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't believe that there is one version of the Bible that's better than the others. But there are some versions that has text removed so the power of Jesus has been what you would call dumbed down.

AlwaysLoved
05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
No buts... The KJV has text removed that shouldn't have been removed and it has text that was added that shouldn't have been added.

Try answering question 22 in your profile.