PDA

View Full Version : Are People Saved Who Think They Can Lose Salvation?

Faithful
10-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I think one of the most important questions we can ask is, can a person who is born-again lose salvation, and is a person born-again if he thinks he can lose what he deems to be salvation?

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand" (John 10.27-29).
"These things I write to you, who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know you have eternal life" (1 John 5.13).

So a person who is born has eternal life so shall never perish. Therefore Wesley was just as wrong as Calvin was.

Christ guarantees, "him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (John 6.37).

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away. Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time" (1 Pet. 1.3-5).

"But it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has commissioned us; who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee" (2 Cor. 1.21-22).

"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete [perfect] it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1.6).

If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself" (2 Tim. 2.13).

So a person who claims to have given his life to Christ yet says potentially like the Roman Church does and others that they can lose it, by these verses then this person was never saved to begin with. They were just working and deceiving themselves.

"For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable" (Rom. 11.29).

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 8.38-39).

Nothing can separate those born-again. So the person who says he can lose it is actually appealing to a selfish salvation with an out-clause like in a couple always arguing about potential divorce.

The non-OSAS claimant was unwilling to give his life to the God who keeps, knowing humbly he can't keep himself saved, whereas the non-OSAS adherent exalts his flesh thinking he can with lots of works and such, or just simply by the power of assuming. God wants to give us genuine salvation where we come to the cross as helpless sinners to receive the Lord Jesus as Savior rather than a heady salvation. The latter never pleases God.

"hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life" (John 5.24).

"And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day" (John 6.39).

I understand William Lane Craig does not believe in this.

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God...ye have received the Spirit of adoption.... The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ" (Rom. 8.14-17).

A heir can't lose it.

So we can conclude then that those who reject this do so on the basis of their own false salvation. Arminius did not agree with the Roman Church view or the Calvin view or the Remonstrants view.