PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther was Not Even Remotely Christian

Scriptur
01-02-2010, 11:28 PM
"With regard to God, and all that bears on salvation or damnation, man has no 'free-will', but is a captive, prisoner and bond slave, either to the will of God, or to the will of Satan." ('Bondage of the Will,' 'Martin Luther: Selections From His Writings', ed. by Dillenberger: Anchor Books, 1962, p. 190.)

"Therefore, necessity, not free will, is the controlling principle of our conduct. God is the author of what is evil as well as well as what is good, and, as He bestows happiness on those who merit it not, so also does He damn others who deserve not their fate." ('De Servo Abitrio', 7, 113 seq., quoted by O'Hare in 'The Facts About Luther': TAN Books, 1987, pp. 266-267.)

"Christ committed adultery first of all with the women at the well about whom St. John tell's us. Was not everybody about Him saying: 'Whatever has he been doing with her?' Secondly, with Mary Magdalen, and thirdly with the women taken in adultery whom He dismissed so lightly. Thus even, Christ who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died." (Trishreden, Weimer Edition, Vol. 2, Pg. 107.)

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book" (Rev. 22.19).

"to my mind it (the book of Apocalypse) bears upon it no marks of an apostolic or prophetic character... Everyone may form his own judgment of this book; as for myself, I feel an aversion to it, and to me this is sufficient reasoning to reject it." (Sammtliche Werke, 63, p.169-170, 'The Facts About Luther,' O'Hare, TAN Books, 1987, p. 203.)

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book" (Rev. 22.18).

Martin Luther added to his Bible the word "alone" in Rom. 3.28 so it reads "faith alone" but it is not in the original. (Amic. discussion, 1, 127, 'The Facts About Luther,' O'Hare, TAN Books, 1987, p. 201.) You shouldn't add words to the Bible. The passage is contrasting being under the law and being justified by faith. "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law" (Rom. 3.28). That is not to say we are not justified by works, except that works are not for initial salvation, but are for rewards. One can't lose eternal life, but they can lose rewards.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (James 2.24). "We should throw the epistle of James out of this school [Wittenberg], for it doesn't amount to much. It contains no syllable about Christ. Not once does it mention Christ, except at the beginning. I maintain that some Jew wrote it who probably heard about Christian people but never encountered any (LW, 54, 424-425).

gondola
01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Martin Luther worked hard to overcome the corruptions and unabashed greed of the Church at his time in order for people to have a way to worship God that didn't require giving money and taxes to "God's middlemen". If that's not Christian then it ain't bad.

Scriptur
01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Lots of people do good things. Doesn't mean they are saved. When you make claims God sinned and is the author of evil like Luther did, and tried to remove books of the Bible, you can't call yourself a Christian. Since Calvin erected an idol he called Total depravity which said he couldn't repent and believe, and claims he had no free will to receive Christ to be regenerated, then he never gave his life to Christ. It's as simple as that. Just because you speak up against some of the evils of Calvinism doesn't mean you go to Heaven. You're standard of salvation is way too low and not reflected in God's word. You must truly repent and believe in Him to be forgiven for all your sins and given eternal life.