PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to Give Up Control

everstill
09-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Francis S. Collins is a medical doctor with a doctorate in chemistry. He was appointed by President Clinton to head the Human Genome Project. For much of his earlier life he was an atheist. Collins said, "If Christ really was the Son of God, as He explicitly claimed, then surely of all those who have ever walked the earth, He could suspend the laws of nature if He needed to do so to achieve a more important purpose.

"The crucifixion and resurrection also provide something else...

"My desire to draw close to God was blocked by my own pride and sinfulness, which in turn was an inevitable consequence of my own selfish desire to be in control. Now the crucifixion and resurrection emerged as the compelling solutions to the gap that yawned between God and myself, a gap that could now be bridged by the person of Jesus Christ" (Francis S. Collins, The Language of God, 2006, esp. 11-31, 213-25).

It's better to let Jesus be the control of our lives, so no longer is that I who live, but Christ lives in me by the Holy Spirit: "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me" (Gal. 2.20).

If you don't have this, you know you are far away from God, so give your life back to Him.