PDA

View Full Version : William Lane Craig vs. Peter Atkins (1998)

Churchwork
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9qT1pp_jCUw&feature=PlayList&p=49D970FA97A3EBD5&index=0 (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9qT1pp_jCUw&feature=PlayList&p=49D970FA97A3EBD5&index=0)

I think Atkins failed in referring to science as though Christians don't believe in science or that in Christianity there is no pre-Adamic man when he speaks of evolution. Atkins failed to address this.

Regarding the resurrection, if most scholars believe the disciples were being genuine then you don't need to worry about the inerrancy of the Bible, but you do need to find an explanation for the disciples' honest belief they saw Jesus resurrected. Atkins failed to address this.

Atkins admitted the disciples truly believed they saw Jesus resurrected, but he could not come up with a viable alternative explanation. This is the linchpin of Christianity and what solidifies faith in Christ and is a testimony to God that Atkins is either unwilling or unable to address the proof of Christianity.

Atkins says without time, there can be no cause naturally. I agree. God causing the universe is not a natural cause but a supernatural one. Furthermore, time can't cause itself, which further proves there can be no natural cause, so if no natural causes exists, it must be supernatural, since there is not a third choice.

He admits it started from nothing. But nothing can't cause something he said, so he contradicts himself. Nor can there be endless cause and effects in the past because of the exponential progression of conscience for we certainly would not still be sinning by now to the extent we still do with so much time in the backdrop of an supposed naturalism eternity of cause and effects.

Atkins is being intellectually dishonest with himself, quite unlike Dr. Craig who searched God out with all his heart and so, so as God promises He would be found.

The most important thing I took from this debate was that focusing on the proof of God all the time does take away from building your relationship with Him because we are being perfected in Christ. And in the end, ultimately, I think that is what Satan is trying to do, to try to thwart this progress; even so, God is using William Lane Craig mightily delivering powerful evidence, for those whose conscience is strong enough to endure such discussions. But for those who are still babes in Christ, it is better you read the Word, fellowship and let your spirit be strengthened by the Holy Spirit in daily walking after the spirit.