PDA

View Full Version : Grace is No More Grace and Gift is No More Gift

Finestwheat
01-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Salvation is "the gift of God" (Rom. 6.23). Calvinists say accepting a gift is a basis for boasting. If the gift is offered to all freely for the taking, those who receive the gift have no basis whatsoever for giving any credit to themselves. The hopeless sinner simply receiving God's grace can boast of nothing but in God who gives us the choice--"whosoever will may come".

God's power in salvation refers to His ability to pay sin's penalty; it does not refer to His forcing salvation upon those who reject it as if God would even do such a thing. Arminius said, "Grace is not an omnipotent act of God, which cannot be resisted by the free-will of men."

If God's omnipotent power can cause whomever He wills to receive the gift of His grace, then "gift" is no more a gift, "grace" is no more grace, and man is not a morally responsible being.

Was God's grace not sufficient for Israel in pleading with them? God cries, "Oh that my people had hearkened unto me...! I should soon have subdued their enemies, [and] have fed them also with the finest of wheat" (Ps. 81.8-16). Were His pleadings insincere and a shameful pretense?