PDA

View Full Version : Transgression vs. Iniquity

Churchwork
08-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Transgression vs. Iniquity

Is there any difference between "transgression" and "iniquity" in the Bible?

Answer:

"Transgression" and "iniquity" are two Old Testament terms. These two words reveal the two aspects of the Old Testament concept of sin. Transgression is subjective, while iniquity is objective. Transgression points to our conduct, whereas iniquity points to our condition before God. In the world we have committed transgression, before God we have committed iniquity. "I said, I will confess my transgressions unto Jehovah; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin" (Ps. 32.5). "I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned against me" (Jer. 33.8). From this we can readily see that iniquity is the condition of man before God after he has sinned or transgressed. When man sins, violates God’s law, and offends God, in God’s sight he has committed iniquity. In the books of Exodus and Leviticus it is frequently mentioned how the priests who serve in the sanctuary must bear their iniquity under certain situations. The Hebrew word used is avon, translated as iniquity, not the word pesha, translated as transgression (see Ex. 28.38,43; Lev. 5.1,17). Iniquity is a thing before God, that which is borne and redeemed in the sanctuary. For this reason, when the verse in Daniel 9.24 speaks of "transgression" and "sins", it says "finish" and "make an end of"; but when the same verse speaks of "iniquity", it says "make reconciliation for" (ASV) or "make expiation for" (Darby), thus showing that the latter is a matter before God. We also see that the destruction of Sodom is due to the iniquity of the city (Gen. 19.15; also cf. 15.16).

Whenever "transgression" is mentioned in the Old Testament, it is always connected with action and conduct. Note, for example, the following: "He showeth them their work, and their transgressions, that they have behaved themselves proudly" (Job 36.9); "In the transgression of the lips is a snare to the evil man" (Prov. 12.13); "Whoso robbeth his father or his mother, and saith, It is no transgression, the same is the companion of a destroyer" (Prov. 28.24); "The transgression of Jacob is all this, and for the sins of the house of Israel. What is the transgression of Jacob? is it not Samaria? and what are the high places of Judah? are they not Jerusalem?" (Micah 1.5) Things such as pride, stealing, and idolatry are all viewed as transgressions.

Note also these verses. "I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord Jehovah. Return ye, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, wherein ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (Ez. 18.30,31); "Thus saith Jehovah: For three transgressions of Damascus, yea, for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof" (Amos 1.3). Transgression is so serious because it may produce iniquity. But thank God, all the problems of our transgression and iniquity have already been solved through the redemptive work of Christ: "He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities" (Is. 53.5).