PDA

View Full Version : True and False Prophets

Churchwork
08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Deuteronomy 18.15-19

15 "The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your fellow Israelites, and you must listen to that prophet. 16 For this is what you yourselves requested of the Lord your God when you were assembled at Mount Sinai.* (Horeb). You begged that you might never again have to listen to the voice of the Lord your God or see this blazing fire for fear you would die.

17 "Then the Lord said to me, `Fine, I will do as they have requested. 18 I will raise up a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites. I will tell that prophet what to say, and he will tell the people everything I command him. 19 I will personally deal with anyone who will not listen to the messages the prophet proclaims on my behalf. 20 But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.' 21 You may wonder, `How will we know whether the prophecy is from the Lord or not?' 22 If the prophet predicts something in the Lord's name and it does not happen, the Lord did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared.

Just as God's voice in the cloud over Mount Sanai gaver authority to his law (Ex. 19.9), God's voice gave authority to Jesus' words at the Transfiguration. Here, Moses predicted the coming of a great prophet; Elijah foretold the coming of the Messiah, and one like him will be John the Baptist (Mal. 4.5,6). And so Moses is definitely raised from the dead and Elijah is most surely raptured, but they are not on equality with Christ. Do you like how God did not answer Peter in Matt. 17, when Peter blurted out his desire to make 3 shrines (v.4)? God instead said "Here ye Him (Jesus)" even "while he (Peter) was yet speaking" (Matt. 17.5). Do not speak vainly, just listen seems to be the message for Jesus is determined to go to the cross. The 3 tabernacles Peter wanted to build were like that of the Festival of Shelters, yet the millennial kingdom has not started yet; the Transfiguration is but a glimpse. Grace far surpasses the law and the prophets. Elijah and the Enoch will be the Two Witness in that terrible day of the Lord: "lest I come and smite the earth with a curse" (Mal. 4.6) because this wicked generation did not "turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers".

Paoli
09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
If the prophet predicts something in the Lord's name and it does not happen, the Lord did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared.

Reminds me of Benny Hinn.

He predicted in the 80's that God would burn San Fransisco because of sexual sin. Nothing happened.

He also predicted in the 80's that Castro would die during the 90's.
The old guy is still kicking (slowly) in 2006.

In Biblical times they would kill false prophets. Today people send them money and make them multimillionaires.

But I'm sure God will deal with them.