PDA

View Full Version : The Green Tree

Churchwork
08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
The words "green tree" appear 12 times in the Old Testament and in every case used in association with pagan idol worship. Here are a few verses which show that green trees were a common element of pagan worship: Deu. 12:2; 1Kings 14:23; 2 Kings 16:4; 17:10; 2 Ch. 28:4; Isa. 57:5; Jer. 2:20; 3:6, 13;17:2; Eze. 6:13.

Please notice that decorated trees were not something that just sprang up after the birth of Jesus Christ and it was a pagan custom even in Jeremiah's time to cut a tree down and decorate it.

(This shocked me, since I thought Christmas Trees were more a medieval custom not that old)

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, LEARN NOT THE WAY OF THE HEATHEN, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. THEY DECK IT WITH SILVER AND WITH GOLD; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

(Let me check KJV version on this verse: from

Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people [are] vain: for [one] cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. )

Yup its in there..

I like to remain in the same spirit as these words.

"Do not start following pagan religious practices.... For the customs of the people are vain: for one cuts down a tree.... They decorate it with gold and silver and then fasten it securely with hammer and nails so it won’t fall over...." (Jer. 10.2-4).