PDA

View Full Version : Don't Despise Others

Churchwork
08-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Mat 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. Mat 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
Mat 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

The one who holds onto any stumbling action will himself be "cast into the eternal fire"; yet please note that although the fire here is described as being eternal, this is not our eternal portion. The emphasis in this passage (v.8) is on the KIND of fire, not on how a person shall be burned, for it says "unquenchable, that is, it will burn off all dross so as to allow that saved one to enter into outer darkness loss of rewards.

Stumbling involves two things: (1) despises people, (2) he himself falls. To avoid any stumbling, let us be careful not to despise people. "Eye" points to lust, even by looking a second time (Matt. 5.27-30).

An unbeliever will still go to hell even if he plucks out his eye. Thus, what is spoken (v.29) is not for unbelievers, but for Christians. Briefly, Christian non-overcomers will be cast into hell (not all the way) to burn off the dross of their works and things they still hold onto.